Which lights?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
User avatar
Darth Bobby
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 1006
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Which lights?

Post by Darth Bobby »

I’ve bought this Ikea cabinet and am in the process of putting it together. I’m having some glass shelves made (Ikea don’t make glass shelves for this model apparently?!) and I’m wondering about lights.
Doing some research it seems there are so many different ones out there, it’s confusing which ones to choose? I’m trying to avoid too many cables. A lot of the stuff I’ve read online is old information so I’m wondering what you guys think. I know it’s been asked before but what’s the best cabinet lights to use?
Attachments
27B5CB23-E75C-4118-9B7F-43E34942B624.jpeg
27B5CB23-E75C-4118-9B7F-43E34942B624.jpeg (138.06 KiB) Viewed 742 times
4A5E0AFE-4FEA-4310-AEBA-19217835B2A1.jpeg
4A5E0AFE-4FEA-4310-AEBA-19217835B2A1.jpeg (108.48 KiB) Viewed 742 times
CF5097F8-5D09-46D7-B90A-6E27E0790649.jpeg
CF5097F8-5D09-46D7-B90A-6E27E0790649.jpeg (89.88 KiB) Viewed 742 times
554D0B63-7969-43B2-8A8F-C0F071EF73A8.jpeg
554D0B63-7969-43B2-8A8F-C0F071EF73A8.jpeg (82.08 KiB) Viewed 742 times
95AD0E41-FDAC-4403-9128-703BBAAB8FF6.jpeg
95AD0E41-FDAC-4403-9128-703BBAAB8FF6.jpeg (115 KiB) Viewed 742 times

User avatar
Robstyley
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2514
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:32 pm
Location: The other side of Mos Eisley

Re: Which lights?

Post by Robstyley »

Mate there’s loads of different types of led lights out there, you definitely want led. The led strip light is meant to be really good. Don’t go to the hardware store, get it online off eBay or somewhere. It’s nice and small/thin and you cut it to the length you want and then attach the wire/s (to the mains adaptor) to it. I think a lot of them come with a little control pad to set brightness etc. I’m going to do mine one day when I get round to it.

User avatar
Rich200
Regular
Regular
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland

Re: Which lights?

Post by Rich200 »

If that is a standard IKEA Billy bookcase (28cm deep) they do make glass shelf's for it.

Search Extra shelf BILLY Article no: 102.867.52 on the IKEA website.

I've got a full room of IKEA Billy bookcases with glass shelf's.

User avatar
lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 5795
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:34 am

Re: Which lights?

Post by lejackal »

I can’t answer the question as mine thankfully came with a light built in but I’m very much looking forward to seeing yours finished mate 8)

Lom
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Which lights?

Post by Lom »

Can’t help Scott as in the same situation as you! Will be following this thread with interest.
Sith happens.....

User avatar
Robstyley
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2514
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:32 pm
Location: The other side of Mos Eisley

Re: Which lights?

Post by Robstyley »

This is the kind of thing, comes on a roll. And you need a few bits to go with it, cables, adaptor etc:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3493802820

User avatar
Darth Bobby
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 1006
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Which lights?

Post by Darth Bobby »

Robstyley wrote:Mate there’s loads of different types of led lights out there, you definitely want led. The led strip light is meant to be really good. Don’t go to the hardware store, get it online off eBay or somewhere. It’s nice and small/thin and you cut it to the length you want and then attach the wire/s (to the mains adaptor) to it. I think a lot of them come with a little control pad to set brightness etc. I’m going to do mine one day when I get round to it.
Yeah i’m thinking LED, just wondered what the collected wisdom of the forum thought, thanks mate.

User avatar
Darth Bobby
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 1006
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Which lights?

Post by Darth Bobby »

Rich200 wrote:If that is a standard IKEA Billy bookcase (28cm deep) they do make glass shelf's for it.

Search Extra shelf BILLY Article no: 102.867.52 on the IKEA website.

I've got a full room of IKEA Billy bookcases with glass shelf's.
Unfortunately it’s not the 28cm deep Billy, it’s the deeper one (it’s amost like a wardrobe). I ordered the wrong one then the shelves were too small. At first I was annoyed but my girlfriend said “look on the bright side, imagine how much junk you can get in there!) which I couldn’t really argue with. It’s turned into a bit of a mini project but that’s fine. Thanks for the response.

User avatar
Darth Bobby
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 1006
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Which lights?

Post by Darth Bobby »

lejackal wrote:I can’t answer the question as mine thankfully came with a light built in but I’m very much looking forward to seeing yours finished mate 8)
I’ll keep you updated mate. Thanks

User avatar
Darth Bobby
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 1006
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Which lights?

Post by Darth Bobby »

Lom wrote:Can’t help Scott as in the same situation as you! Will be following this thread with interest.
It’s taken me years to sort it out, I’ll let you know how I get on.

User avatar
Darth Bobby
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 1006
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Which lights?

Post by Darth Bobby »

Robstyley wrote:This is the kind of thing, comes on a roll. And you need a few bits to go with it, cables, adaptor etc:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3493802820
Yeah that’s the sort of thing I was thinking, thanks for the advice.

User avatar
Mini99
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 3506
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: Which lights?

Post by Mini99 »

look on the bright side, imagine how much junk you can get in there!
:lol: :lol: :lol: classic

User avatar
Darth Bobby
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 1006
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Which lights?

Post by Darth Bobby »

Rich200 wrote:If that is a standard IKEA Billy bookcase (28cm deep) they do make glass shelf's for it.

Search Extra shelf BILLY Article no: 102.867.52 on the IKEA website.

I've got a full room of IKEA Billy bookcases with glass shelf's.
Just out of interest mate, what supports do you use to hold the shelves up? I’m getting glass shelves made and would rather buy some supports on eBay rather than face Ikea?

starwars00
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Which lights?

Post by starwars00 »

8D440E50-D5A6-4FE8-A73A-52D9D5B039AA.jpeg
8D440E50-D5A6-4FE8-A73A-52D9D5B039AA.jpeg (338.34 KiB) Viewed 434 times
That’s my set up. They are tingkam off Amazon.

User avatar
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Which lights?

Post by Snaketibe »

starwars00 wrote:8D440E50-D5A6-4FE8-A73A-52D9D5B039AA.jpeg

That’s my set up. They are tingkam off Amazon.
That looks fantastic!

Post Reply