Has the pandemic changed your attitude to your collecting?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
poncho
Grand Master
Grand Master

Has the pandemic changed your attitude to your collecting?

Post by poncho »

I've realised I need to downsize

I really should display stuff what's the point in collecting if I cant show it.

Maybe I should get rid of my high end stuff. now vintage starwars is more popular (lockdown purchasing and the influx of the mandalorian) and people are paying more for stuff that isn't worth more in the first place lol.

I saw a complete loose luke jedi sell for £75 just. 😲
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Has the pandemic changed your attitude to your collecting?

Post by jayums »

poncho wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:45 pm
That's how I feel about it too!

If I had a giant loft space or something I would maybe feel different , but having sold all my stuff off (and starting again !) my intention is to rebuild a complete loose set on shelves (possibly minus last 17 as I'm not that fussed by them enough to pay the prices), a few mocs , and a few of my favourite playsets / vehicles knocking around the place to give me the vintage vibes now and again.
Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Palifan »

jayums wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:00 pm
poncho wrote:
That's how I feel about it too!

If I had a giant loft space or something I would maybe feel different , but having sold all my stuff off (and starting again !) my intention is to rebuild a complete loose set on shelves (possibly minus last 17 as I'm not that fussed by them enough to pay the prices), a few mocs , and a few of my favourite playsets / vehicles knocking around the place to give me the vintage vibes now and again.
That sounds the same as me as well and I have been slowly letting things go over the past few years that I either have doubles of or don't have the space for. One bonus is that I've sold a fair amount to different members on here which is nice to know that they've gone to good homes and also that I've helped a few people out with their focuses. There's still more to go though and I have that dilemma of keeping items I like but knowing I will probably never display them. There's no way that I'm going to display the vintage AT-AT for instance but do I keep an iconic piece that I never look at or let it go? It's a hard decision and I feel that when I need the money for something else maybe that's the time to move it on.

The problem i have is that I always seem to think of something toy related to start collecting :lol:

Ian
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by jayums »

Ha well Ian. I'm looking for a decent AT-AT , so if you do move it on give the heads up :lol: . I missed out on a lovely one for sale on here a few weeks back from Sean, but did get a nice x wing.

I am enjoying collecting again but will stick to things I know I genuinely like seeing around , not just to fulfil that part of my brain which tells me to be completist or worry about the wrong colour blaster etc .

As for the pandemic , I do think it has given us time to reflect on things, and as much as I like my collecting , the things I want to do at the moment is to see family safely, have a pint in a pub , and enjoy live music. Also lose some weight :lol:
theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

No but the flipping prices have!
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'
StarWarsFan
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by StarWarsFan »

theforceuk wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:30 pm
No but the flipping prices have!
Totally agree on prices its mental.
My feedback:
http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... 22&t=26702

My The Force Be With You
Admiral Snackbar
New User
New User

Post by Admiral Snackbar »

Funnily enough yes. It’s kick started my replacing things I gave away. I’m sure the psychology is something to do with yearning for happier times, but it’s been fun so far.
coomber75
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by coomber75 »

ive had simmilar thoughts, and about to sell all my vehicles that are in the loft and not on display and in all likelihood never will be.
on the plus side had to create a home office so now spend days surrounded by a smaller but great collection.
sadly no atat i can let you have mate
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

I've been considering downsizing my collection for a while. My biggest problem is that literally nothing is on display, since moving into this flat we have had 2 kids so what used to be my office and 'display room' is now their bedroom. My entire collection is boxed up. It does make me sad that I can't see any of it, but whenever I open up the boxes to have a look I know I would find it very hard to sell any of it.

Also due to massive price rises in the last 10 years I have some major regrets about 'high end' items I sold back then, so I am reluctant to make the same mistake again. Obviously we don't know if prices will continue to rise, I think there's a very real chance interest and therefore prices will drop in future once we all start kicking the bucket!

We are looking to move in the near future, so I hope it won't be too long until I can display things again.
Michael Sith
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Michael Sith »

Edd like you say hopefully a move will give you back the space you need to display.

It’s funny but when your house hunting one of your Pre requisites will be “ is there a room I can use for SW display” :lol:

We are lucky as both kids are grown up and married so I have my lads old bedroom as an office area to work from home, surrounded by my collection, that day will come for you Edd, kids fly the nest...Vintage is for life :lol:
"What is thy bidding, my master?"
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by TheJabbaWookie »

poncho wrote:
I saw a complete loose luke jedi sell for £75 just. 😲
Ha that’s nothing
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143915246685
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:21 pm
Ha that’s nothing
WTAF?!
Mini99
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Mini99 »

edd_jedi wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:42 pm
TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:21 pm
Ha that’s nothing
WTAF?!
I’m sure that these auctions can’t be for real...can they?
lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by lejackal »

So it’s a Luke Jedi, a Warok, or my selection- a Paliyoy 41 back Han Bespin :lol:
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by jayums »

At this rate your minty loose run could be nearer 10k than 5

This kind of thing to me is complete insanity . I love the vintage line to bits , but in all likelihood this figure will be reproduced for a retro line for a tenner next year. If you love the nostalgic feels, that will do the job, and you can't blame people for thinking that way. In my mind you only pay 200 quid for a Luke Jedi if you see your vintage collection primarily as an investment. Obviously people can do what they like with their own money, I can't be the only one on here that thinks this is thoroughly depressing. Maybe it's sour grapes because I don't have the money, but I just don't think I would want to exchange 200 quid for a single lump of very reproducible plastic , and especially one that is ten a penny in vgc .

Furthermore, when loosies like this are fetching hundreds, it invariably means the next wave of repro will be even more likely be indistinguishable from vintage. The next Stan solo won't put his stamp on the legs. What then?
Last edited by jayums on Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.