VAT added to eBay purchases from EU without notice

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
olisuds
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

VAT added to eBay purchases from EU without notice

Post by olisuds »

Ok so I guess it’s no surprise that VAT is due on purchases from the EU now, however I was not expecting them to be taken on purchase without warning when buying something from EU on eBay.

I was watching an item from France priced at €50. I received an offer for a 20% discount to €40. No mention of any additional taxes being added. I accept the offer. I receive notification that my offer of €40 plus $12 shipping has been accepted. When I go to payment it says you have committed to buy this item at €48 plus €12 shipping. WTF!

If you look at the terms on VAT on eBay it says: When you list items on eBay, include VAT in your price. You may not add VAT to the final price after a buyer has won or bought an item.

Very tempted to cancel the sale out of principle here. What are your thoughts on this?
WTB: Unused Palitoy Card Backs
welshwookie
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Re: VAT added to eBay purchases from EU without notice

Post by welshwookie »

Get eBay to ring you back on the transaction, state that they are not following their own terms :lol:
If enough ring to complain they will have to amend their automated listing tool.
Not fair to the seller to loose a sale because of this. - He should complain too.
theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Re: VAT added to eBay purchases from EU without notice

Post by theforceuk »

Happened to me about a month ago, started a thread then as well. Really naughty of ebay, but no surprise really!

Here's the link to the other thread.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42062
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'