Removing mould inside bubble?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
welshwookie
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Re: Removing mould inside bubble?

Post by welshwookie »

If you want some fine wires Edd, my wife has a few different guage ones in work ?
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

welshwookie wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:04 pm
If you want some fine wires Edd, my wife has a few different guage ones in work ?
Thanks for the offer, I was thinking that I might try a really thin pipe cleaner or something. Needs to be thin enough to get in the bubble, but also have some kind of brush or bristles to remove the mould.
welshwookie
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by welshwookie »

The sliver ones are thin, just a little thicker than cotton thread. Would you be wanting to poke something through the thickness of paper. If possible, if the bubble allowed?
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

How about an interdental brush, but extended in some way? It would certainly be fine enough and has a built-in brush at the end:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391709515667
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (23.06 KiB) Viewed 131 times
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

Yes something like that!
Cazza
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Cazza »

A swab from a COVID Lateral Flow test might work a treat...
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... =8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

The lamp has arrived, I will report back! 8)
IMG_1599.jpeg
IMG_1599.jpeg (72.76 KiB) Viewed 122 times
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

Well it's made no visible difference. It might have killed it, no way of knowing really, so looks like plan B is needed.
welshwookie
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by welshwookie »

Would you settle for the mold not being on the card back. But sort of like dust in the bottom of the bubble?
As I can't see how you are going to catch it all. From a small area lift.
If the mold was "wet" or alive so to speak what about trying cat litter or rice to see if it would have drawn it out from the bubble to the card back ?
I'll send you some wires, as if you use the dental sticks you might need a longer length for manipulation.
The fabric from pledge fluffy dusters might have good grab quality if you could get a piece small enough inside.
Best of luck on whatever you decide .
Grant_C
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Grant_C »

edd_jedi wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:41 pm
The lamp has arrived, I will report back! 8)
Loving the effort. :idea:
batman
Regular
Regular

Post by batman »

Sorry i did not see this topic any sooner, judging from your picture i'm too late to warn you that UVC light is the most effective light to damage the blister and cause it to yellow https://www.usplastic.com/knowledgebase ... entkey=858
I have been working with UVC light to battle mildew on plants and while it kills the mildew and it's spores it does not remove it so you will have to agitate it to remove it from the cardback.
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

batman wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:37 am
Sorry i did not see this topic any sooner, judging from your picture i'm too late to warn you that UVC light is the most effective light to damage the blister and cause it to yellow https://www.usplastic.com/knowledgebase ... entkey=858
I have been working with UVC light to battle mildew on plants and while it kills the mildew and it's spores it does not remove it so you will have to agitate it to remove it from the cardback.
Thanks, appreciate it! I only put it under the light for 15 minutes as per the recommendations with the lamp, hopefully not enough to do any damage. I also covered the card with paper.
Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

I had a thought. How about a very long, thin blade or knife? If you could insert it through the gap in the blister, you might be able to literally scrape off the mould and bring it back to the gap on the end of the blade. Brushing off the mould risks dislodging it and spreading it around inside the blister, but if it could be neatly retrieved back to the gap, you might be able to remove almost all of it from the blister.
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Post by edd_jedi »

Well attempt 1 has been pretty successful, before and after below :) I bought one of these from eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333735464167

There was a small gap at the bottom of the bubble where the seal was weak, so I popped it in there and with much manouevering and patience managed to get most of it off. I have probably made the bubble lift slightly worse, but I would prefer that to a load of mould inside. Will have another go later.
Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 13.38.39.png
Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 13.38.39.png (835.79 KiB) Viewed 36 times
Mini99
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Mini99 »

edd_jedi wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:40 pm
Well attempt 1 has been pretty successful, before and after below :) I bought one of these from eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333735464167

There was a small gap at the bottom of the bubble where the seal was weak, so I popped it in there and with much manouevering and patience managed to get most of it off. I have probably made the bubble lift slightly worse, but I would prefer that to a load of mould inside. Will have another go later.

Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 13.38.39.png
What a difference, well done with your perseverance.