U Grade FAQ

Information on variations, weapons, cleaning and repair etc
plantman
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: U Grade FAQ (Sign the Petition)

Post by plantman » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Ive opened a moc before for my own enjoyment, i loved it, ive still got the figure but it brought back memories :)
"These ARE the droids your looking for...now how much for the pair?"

Imperial nut
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by Imperial nut » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:31 pm

:) yeah,

if you collect for money then u grade is the way to get that , evil though it is.
Or if you collect as a keeper of museum grade one of every type thats cool.

but it think most folk do collect for the memories, and the memories of card backs consist of "wow,,riiiip, play, cardback thrown in drawer"

i am not advocating mass MOC destruction , as we are all older now, and play has become display, so naturally sealed items seem more "grown-up"

But it think the value of loose and thrashed figures is that they have some history,i cant remember who on here has the signature.
"i am a loose collector, because as a kid i didnt play with packaged toys"

that sums it up really.
Who needs a Blue Snag, i want A stormtrooper lined up in the hanger.

airjedijamie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Post by airjedijamie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:18 pm

hi i am not sure about this because i have a 2 or 3 u grades but i only had them done as u grades because the card were ripped off or the bubbles had been smashed but i love carded figures but i know that steve at uk grades will have a laugh at this i got a 4-lom on empire card total mint bubble best i have seen for a long time card as mint as poss but are you ready for this some little stupid fuck had cut the 4-lom name out of the card i was almost sick when i saw this the only thing me and steve said was why
Wedge! Pull out! You're not doing any good back there

tiefighterboy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by tiefighterboy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:01 pm

airjedijamie wrote:hi i am not sure about this because i have a 2 or 3 u grades but i only had them done as u grades because the card were ripped off or the bubbles had been smashed but i love carded figures but i know that steve at uk grades will have a laugh at this i got a 4-lom on empire card total mint bubble best i have seen for a long time card as mint as poss but are you ready for this some little stupid fuck had cut the 4-lom name out of the card i was almost sick when i saw this the only thing me and steve said was why
For the free figure of course. :wink:

airjedijamie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Post by airjedijamie » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:06 pm

yes but why leave the figure on the card just find a mate who did not send away and cut the name from that
lol
Wedge! Pull out! You're not doing any good back there

shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: U Grade FAQ

Post by shawn_k » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:43 pm

In light of Tom's recent reply on the issue, I've made a few corrections/changes. Tom verified to me that no sw-c DT Luke baggies have been harmed because of the U grade, so I removed that example from the page. Also, because of inaccurate data in the population report, I have removed the numbers from last year. As of right, now I'm just keeping the overall totals of U graded figures, that were compiled by me in July.

Finally, I'm removing the petition from the site. I always meant for the article to be informative and in hindsight the petition detracted from that. I also feel that Tom has heard our voice and has expressed those concerns to CGA, which was the intent of the petition in the first place. I appreciate everyone who took the time to sign and shared their thoughts. It sounds like we might see some changes in the future and hopefully they address the concerns that have been expressed.

Please, still continue to share the article. AFA may have started the U grade, but the power to completely stop or slow it down is in the hands of the collector.

PGowdy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by PGowdy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:56 pm

I wouldn't hold your breath about seeing changes. They want their barrel of cash and they'll happily continue destroying previously well preserved, antique, carded figures until there are none left. They do this because they have no vision, no wisdom and no respect for the preservation of the hobby. The continuance of UGrading will insure that eventually there are no MOCs left at all. This is a mathematical fact not an opinion. One has to stop before the other.
I can't imagine what makes someone want to UGrade. The figure on his card back is more "U" than one removed. The simplest of simpletons could work that out but while there is still a demand for this barbaric trend, the AFA will continue to aid it.

There. I've said my piece!... :evil: :lol:
Former forum member.

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by weasel » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:55 pm

Been talkin to Andy about this, and while I can see there is logic in Tom's claim that..... "Assigning an uncirculated designation was not designed to encourage more people to collect figures straight from packaging, but rather to help preserve a status when the fact that figures would be opened was inevitable."

There is the obvious flaw that, the U grade thing started a fad/trend (I'm prepared to give AFA the benefit of the doubt and say that WASN'T their intention, though the cynic in me isn't so sure) and AFA MUST have noticed the increase in the number, and the improvement in the quality, of MOC's that were being sent in for U grades.
The price premium that some people/idiots where prepared to pay for high end U graded figures WAS repsonsible for this. While AFA can claim, that they can't control the prices people are paying, they can't sit back and wash their hands of it all. They created the U grade and as such the fad that ultimately led to so many MOC's being destroyed.

Okay, I guess once that bubble has started there isn't a huge amount they can do to stop it. Stopping U grading won't bring back all the destroyed MOC's, or make U grade prices drop to sensible levels (possibly the opposite). But they must have seen that their idea to help protect MOC's by offering the U grade idea was at the same time leading to more MOC's being destroyed and thus some what counter productive.

Alternatively, they may only care about the money! :wink:

PS, 'm talking about AFA in genral here and not Tom personally.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by weasel » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:57 pm

Ohh and fair play to Tom for coming out and posting about U grades. Although, my god that was a long, and in parts horribly boring, post!

PGowdy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by PGowdy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Saying it's not their fault it got out of hand while they are the sole providers and inventors of the service doesn't hold much water for me. Without them no one would Ugrade. It's like a gun shop claiming it's nothing to do with them that everyone in the neighbourhood keeps shooting each other whilst increasing their order for bullets to sell.

I could just about buy that in the beginning it wasn't their intention (but please see my comment about lack of vision and wisdom. it stands!) But once they saw that this service was destroying the hobby in it's pure form they should have removed it.

From their point of view, and they must know that UGrading has the potential to end the existence of MOCs, it'll take years, possibly a couple of decades before their UGrading service has damaged the hobby to the point of extinction but then they'll just move on to something else. It won't bother them one bit. It just hurts the collectors. It's win win for them.
Former forum member.

Vaders_Child
Regular
Regular

Post by Vaders_Child » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:02 pm

weasel wrote:Ohh and fair play to Tom for coming out and posting about U grades. Although, my god that was a long, and in parts horribly boring, post!
Oh yeah i had to take breaks whilst i was reading Toms post,my eyes went blurred at one point :shock:
Good post though
To visit the SWCC click the link below.
We hope to see you soon.
Star Wars Collectors Cantina

Vermillion
New User
New User

Post by Vermillion » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:18 pm

Just catching up and learning about the collectors market.

This whole U-grade scheme seems badly flawed to me, and I'm essentially a newcomer with no real agenda.
I hate the idea of de-carding a figure purely to box it up in a different way. It totally counters the value (in a sentimental sense) of the original packaging.

Great site in the original post though. And the acceptance of badly damaged cards as being more relevant for U-Grading is a valid point.

But destroying mint cards. In the words of You Know Who...

"NNNNNNooooooooooooooo"

plantman
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by plantman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:26 pm

i think the "fad" is slowly dying now anyway

the U grade wankfest brought out the geeks in collecting, and now everyone has done it and there isnt a killer profit it going down.
"These ARE the droids your looking for...now how much for the pair?"

olisuds
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by olisuds » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Last weekend I was offered an AFA U85 Grade Dark Brown Rebel for $2,000!!! WTF???

There is no difference between AFA 85 and AFA U85. It's the same quality. The only difference is in the mind.

Why do people waste there money???

If you want to open your MOCs for a nice minty loose figure then fine. But whats the point in incasing it in plastic after. It's still not loose! And it's not uncirculated if some stranger has been paid to put there grubby mits on it!

And if you want to open a MOC, then why not do it yourself and get the satisfaction rather than paying someone else to do it for you.

This has got to be the craziest part of this hobby I have ever known.

I don't know how any vintage star wars collecting enthusiast can do so much damage to the items they love and remember from their childhood!

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by weasel » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Never underestimate the power of greed!