!!SPOILERS!! The Mandalorian Spoilers Allowed Discussion Thread

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
TK-7785
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Re: !!SPOILERS!! The Mandalorian Spoilers Allowed Discussion Thread

Post by TK-7785 »

All valid points and whilst I agree that certain plot devices, such as the tracking fob, would be helped with some basic explanation I think as fans we can also fall into the pit of over analysing. There was mention in the first or second chapter about a code as well. Maybe these things co off some kind of ID code?! Who knows. For me it isn't quite a big of an issue as hyperspace ramming and the complete 180 of a known character.

One of the things I love about the Mandlorian so much is it has really pared Star Wars back to what it is at its core and what started the whole thing back in 77. Which is timeless myths of heroes and villains in a really comic bookey, 50s Saturday morning serial kind of style. Let's face it, the entire OT was exactly that.

In the subsequent decades Star Wars has become something far greater and although we started as fans when we were kids, we've all grown up and our sensibilities have changed. Our expectations of what makes a good film/story etc has changed. Yet at the same time we all still yearn to feel that same feeling we did as a kid watching the OT. For me The Mandalorian has done about a good a job as anyone could have expected to try and merge those two worlds. Is it perfect? No. Does it make me feel like I'm watching a new Star Wars film in the vein of the OT circa 1980 something? Hell yeah it does!
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies... http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... =2&t=37721
ROTJ Store Display Items

Dantooine
Regular
Regular

Post by Dantooine »

Snaketibe wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:27 pm

It is ignoring or rewriting of established canon that is one of the (out of a very, VERY great many) reasons why I detest TLJ so much. It rewrote the rules on hyperspace tracking, travel and weaponry in such a ridiculous, needless and stupid way, which was utterly at odds with everything we already knew about these things from all of the previous films, that it immediately took me out of the film to marvel at its sheer idiocy! It did exactly the same thing by rewriting Luke Skywalker's character and personality in the most unforgivable way imaginable, that again, it took me crashing straight out of the film and made me question whether I was even watching Star Wars. And so the tracking fobs do warrant some kind of explanation regarding how they work in order not to fall into this same trap, as otherwise it looks like the writers simply moved the goalposts and hoped no-one would notice.
I completely agree about TLJ. It really didn't make sense with regards to what had happened in previous films with characters, space travel... and even gravity. You can't contradict something that has already been shown in a movie - personally I don't care about the cartoons etc.

But "canon" does get thrown around a lot by some fans when comparing stuff from the OT to the PT or whatever, and Lucasfilm tie themselves in knots trying to explain everything when the reality is 20 years separated certain films and they hadn't been written yet. It's weird how they want to maintain that everything in the Star Wars universe makes perfect sense and is all interconnected and worked out - then let some dimwit write and direct TLJ :D

I think the fob will get an explanation somewhere down the line, probably to do with the Star Wars version of a fingerprint. We don't know if baby Yoda was scanned at some point, that's what Herzog did when he first saw him. Maybe all prisoners get scanned? Aren't all the bounties we've seen criminals of some kind? Maybe they've all bee locked up in space prison. Maybe baby Yoda has already done porridge!

db94
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by db94 »

Just watched episode 6 and I hate to say it but for me it's running out of steam. Found myself checking my mob quite a lot during it and not glued to the screen.

Think the last 3 haven't been that great, not a fan of cameos and recognisable faces/voices and this one is bursting with them.

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Cazza »

Really liked this episode, but wish they would cut back to what is going on elsewhere, e.g. back at the Guild for the aftermath of the shootout etc. Would round it out a bit more and expand the story. The episodes seem to be too stand-alone.

How on earth did the Devaronian survive the second door closing on his head? Was a bit stupid TBH.
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... =8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

Cazza wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:11 pm
Really liked this episode, but wish they would cut back to what is going on elsewhere, e.g. back at the Guild for the aftermath of the shootout etc. Would round it out a bit more and expand the story. The episodes seem to be too stand-alone.

How on earth did the Devaronian survive the second door closing on his head? Was a bit stupid TBH.
The very final scene shows he has lost the ends of his horns, so presumably the door didn't close on his head, but rather on his horns, presumably knocking him out, judging from the way he was coming around in the cell:
Clancy - 01.JPG
Clancy - 01.JPG (18.97 KiB) Viewed 639 times
Overall, whilst I certainly agree (and as I've said before), I would like the story to advance more quickly with respect to resolving The Child's arc, I absolutely loved this episode! I thought it was genuinely exciting; they didn't re-tread old ground, but instead showed us something new with the prison break, we got to see Mando in action showing what he is capable of, I didn't see the double-cross coming, and we had Clancy Brown and Richard Ayoade as guest stars, and even Dave Filoni in a cameo :-D

Terrific stuff!

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Cazza »

That explains it! Still think they should've gone for a head squish though :lol:

Forgot to say- absolutely loved the appearance of X-Wings (piloted by 3 of the directors!) 8)
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... =8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

TK-7785
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by TK-7785 »

I think it was a nice twist to discover Mando had just locked them up, rather than kill them. Which is what was implied and what we probably all thought when he said 'they got what they deserved'. This episode really showed why he's considered to be one of the best; cool, calm, professional and doesn't take it personally. Great to some tidbits of the New Republic too. Whilst I agree that the first three are still the strongest episodes, I'm still loving this. My only real gripe was hearing Richard Ayoade voice Zero. All I could hear was Moss from The IT Crowd. I would rather they stay away from so many known faces and voices. That said, Nolte doing the voice of Kuiil is still outstanding. I have spoken! :D

I think the final chapters might take it up a notch. With only two left we've yet to see Moff Gideon and the showdown with him and his Deathtroopers against Mando we've seen in the trailers. Also the biker scouts and speeder bikes are yet to make their appearance. My guess is those remnants of the Empire, the guys after The Child working with Werner Herzog's character, finally catch up with Mando for some quality actions scenes.
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies... http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... =2&t=37721
ROTJ Store Display Items

Dantooine
Regular
Regular

Post by Dantooine »

Another great episode, one of the best for me. I liked the casting, the different aliens making up the crew. I also thought it was one of the funniest. Bill Burr nailed it. The Droid Zero (?) looked like the prototype Death Star Droid by Kenner. Also, the survalence robots in the republic ship looked like one of the droids the Jawas have in front of the Sandcrawler in ANH. This show is great.

I don't think the baby Yoda story is finishing any time soon. This is what the show is, Mando surviving, getting money, moving on and protecting it. Without the baby what is it? Obviously the last two episodes will have some conclusion, but it's going to be set up for season 2 so expect a cliffhanger. What's the one thing to make you desperate to see season 2 - baby Yoda getting kidnapped?

chiffy
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by chiffy »

Besides seeing IG11 in a previous episode, chapter 6 knocked it out the ball park for me! If i had 1 gripe it was Zero. Shit droid, shit voice. Just didnt appeal to me. Most intelligent in the party but sees the child to exploit, grabs a gun but cant find it! Anyhows, 2 to go. From everyones expectations in the last couple of posts, theyre gonna have to cram this shit in somehow unless the last chapter, which is after Rise of Skywalkers release, is a longer effort like the 1st chapter was?...

Somewhere beneath the murky Dagobah swamp lies chiffy's feedback thread. Please use or abuse.
http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... 22&t=13553

lejackal
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by lejackal »

This is going to be the first season of a few imo. I’d rather them take their time and not rush everything into two episodes. I imagine that there is likely to be some sort of tie in with TROS, maybe baby Yoda kicks the shit out of the Emperor?

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by Clarkspie&chips »

I thought this was a pretty rare Easter egg
vlcsnap-2019-12-14-13h33m13s867.png
vlcsnap-2019-12-14-13h33m13s867.png (440.15 KiB) Viewed 614 times
sandcrwl.jpg
sandcrwl.jpg (86.73 KiB) Viewed 614 times

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Bonsai_Tree_Ent »

Dantooine wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:03 pm
Maybe they've all bee locked up in space prison. Maybe baby Yoda has already done porridge!
Baby Borstal has definitely done an 8, and used his mind powers to sniff out the nonces and the grasses on his block. That's why he wouldn't step foot on that prison ship, too many bad memories.

For me that prison was way too clean. Looking at that photo above it's a long way from the used universe. Needed a Baby Yoda dirty protest to bring it into line, they should have had him whip off his nappy and get busy with it.

TK-7785
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by TK-7785 »

Oh my fucking god! Chapter 7 is the best yet. Tension, suspense, fan service, great character development, pace, dialogue!!! I'm blown away with this and a proper cliff hanger going into the series finale.

This episode was directed by Deborah Chow again and I have to say, she's one talented lady. With her directing the Obi-Wan series I think it is in very. very safe hands.

Disney, please just put Favreau, Filoni, and Chow in charge of all future Star Wars and you will not go wrong. Fuck TROS, this is Star Wars!!! :D
I have spoken.jpg
I have spoken.jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 549 times
WANTED:
ROTJ Store Display Items

Snaketibe
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Snaketibe »

Agree 100%. That episode kicks ass! By far the best of the series to date, and it leaves me itching to see episode 8! This is how Star Wars can be made if those responsible are both knowledgeable, talented and respectful of what's gone before. It's simply superb.

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by Clarkspie&chips »

Great episode, the troop transporter was so cool!
Do you think they’ll blast their way out or will it be iggy to the rescue?