The Book of Boba Fett Discussion Thread (Episode Spoilers Allowed!)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Agree. The frontier world aspects of SW have always appealed to me, especially Tatooine. Star Wars has always been a Space Western at heart.
When the visuals/story start going too Star Trekkie (Canto Bight and to some extent Coruscant), it turns me off.
I thought Filoni captured the western vibe beautifully in Ep6. Like you, I instantly got Lee Van Cleef vibes on seeing Cad Banes silhouette.

They also seem to be learning the 'Mary Sue' lesson as well.
Grogu is shown to fail and pick himself back up ("always get back up"), rather than being instantly brilliant, like Rey.

It pains me to say it, but even though I've loved aspects of DisneySW (R1, Mando, Rebels S7), if it all leads to the ST, then it's ultimately pointless.
Enjoying the journey to a bad destination.
I do understand why some people want the emphasis within new Star Wars shows to be on material derived from the OT and PT films rather than the EU and shows like 'The Clone Wars' and 'Star Wars Rebels'. However, leaving aside the fact that 'The Clone Wars' is actually really good ('Rebels' is also good, but not the equal of TCW), it's actually within these non-film sources that the salvation of Star Wars may well lie. Whilst there are those that like them, the sequels were uniformly terrible for many fans, with the treatment of Luke Skywalker in particular being completely indefensible (although that was far from the only unforgivable sin perpetrated in those crimes against George Lucas). Favreau and Filoni absolutely know this; neither treats Star Wars with the jaw-dropping disrespect of Rian Johnson, and both are clearly true fans. Their work screams this to be the case from the top of its lungs, and if the rumours are true, they are already laying the groundwork to undo the sequel trilogy throughout 'The Mandalorian', 'The Book of Boba Fett', the upcoming 'Ahsoka' and any other shows they are in charge of, slowly building and leading to the ultimate erasure of the future we saw in those awful films. They can do this via use of the Veil of the Force, which was shown in 'Star Wars Rebels' and hence is officially canon. The Veil is a mystical dimension of The Force connecting time, space, and alternate realities, and will allow Favreau and Filoni to effectively negate the sequel trilogy before it happens, by characters seeing the future presented in the ST, hating it as much as the rest of us, and hence choosing a different path / future. I know this might sound fantastical to some, but the logo for the upcoming 'Ahsoka' TV show actually shows the Veil of the Force!:

ahsoka-star-wars-logo.jpg

So chin up everyone; the sequel trilogy's days are numbered, and we are currently witnessing the beginnings of its dismantling :)

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
So chin up everyone; the sequel trilogy's days are numbered, and we are currently witnessing the beginnings of its dismantling :)
God, I hope you're right.
There are a few signs appearing that it may be the case. WDWpro has rumours that things are on the change within DisneyLucasfilm, which is heartening.
On the other hand, I find it difficult to believe that Disney will admit failure and allow the ST to be erased.

Anyway, really looking forward to BOBF Ep7. Only fly in the ointment, is that Robert Rodriguez is supposedly directing. Hopefully, the Vespa Squad meet a grisly end 😁.

Last edited:

lee gray

Sith Lord
God, I hope you're right.
There are a few signs appearing that it may be the case. WDWpro has rumours that things are on the change within DisneyLucasfilm, which is heartening.
On the other hand, I find it difficult to believe that Disney will admit failure and allow the ST to be erased.

Anyway, really looking forward to BOBF Ep7. Only fly in the ointment, is that Robert Rodriguez is supposedly directing. Hopefully, the Vespa Squad meet a grisly end 😁.
I think it was the pikes who killed the sand people and set the niktos up so when Fett finds out he will kill them all

Twin30mm

Jedi Knight
Underwhelmed.
Never thought I'd be using that word to describe a finale featuring Boba Fett riding a fricking Rancor, but unfortunately this is where we are.

Everything felt flat.
Rushed and slow-paced at the same time, if that makes sense.
As soon as Grogu arrived in his Xwing Uber, I knew things were going south.
Not sure if it was Favreau's writing or the lacklustre direction (Rodriguez needs to move on).
It had some good moments (Boba and Din fighting together, Rancor riding etc.), but the overall feeling was of disappointment.
If it wasn't for the fantastic Mando/Luke episodes, this series was in serious danger if being a wash-out.

This episode: A generous 6/10
Series overall: 7.5/10

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Pretty underwhelmed by the finale. Some cool stuff, but the fight scenes seem awkwardly shot and there were a lot of niggles e.g. a crowd of people running away from the scorpion droids in a straight line and not one of them gets hit! Where did Fennec shoot the Pykes and hook the Ithorian from at the end? Was there a hole in the roof? Will need to watch that bit again. Cad Bane criminally underused and the Pykes are just a bit... boring. Surely they could've brought back Bossk, Dengar etc? Maybe they're saving them for later...

I guess Cobb has been set up to manage Mos Espa now, relieving Boba to join the Mando?

For me, I'd score the episodes like this:
Ep 1: 6.5/10
Ep 2: 8/10
Ep 3: 3/10
Ep 4: 7/10
Ep5: 9/10
Ep6: 8/10
Ep 7: 5/10

UKS

Jedi Knight
I felt the fight scenes were a little "TV" - people standing out in the open to be shot. Lots of random running. SW normally has great mis en scene. Also why do characters do silly little flips and swirls after killing someone? Again in SW and westerns people do not do that. It's matter of fact. (Like Lee Van Aliens death)

Grogu turning up is disappointing but obvious. The "proper" ending for him is being a Jedi - but hey Ho. And he is very much a Deux Es machina.

Also very very EU.

I did enjoy a lot through. King Kong Rancor felt appropriate. Boba at the end realising he doesn't want all this could be funny. I don't feel we will see these characters again in screen - and I'm happy that Boba has a "happy ending".

Bring on Mando3 and all the associated Dark Sabre nonsense!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
My initial thoughts are that I did enjoy it, but nowhere near as much as I hoped I would. I wanted to see those god-awful crappy space-vespas completely totalled, but alas... However, the rancor, whilst utterly predictable, was nice to see, as was Mando and Boba fighting side by side. For me though, the stakes throughout this entire series on Tatooine have never really felt all that high, and that was brought into sharp focus for me in this finale, where the 'war' was nothing of the sort; just a bunch of disposable red shirts, sorry, Pykes standing exposed waiting to be picked off one by one, whilst our heroes are constantly missed by the Pyke blasters (except when safely striking beskar, of course). Krrsantan could be shot an infinite number of times, yet keep on ticking; he could be so badly injured he walks with a pronounced limp and needs two people to support him one minute, and yet he's fine to go running unaided the next... Also, after last week's stunning effort with Luke Skywalker, at the very least I expected to see him deliver Grogu back to Mando personally this week (there was absolutely no way Disney were ever going to allow their top cash-cow to be removed from 'The Mandalorian' when they've still got a billion dollars worth of toys they can sell us), but in a massive anti-climax, not only did we not see Luke, neither did we see Ahsoka or the much-rumoured appearance of Han Solo either :(

Overall then, I can only give this episode a grade 'C', with the series as a whole scraping a generous 'B-'.

Let's hope Disney rights the ship rather better in the upcoming 'Kenobi' series later this year, and in the 3rd season of Mando early next.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Well, it was ok. It was no surprise to see Grogu as I figured from a marketing viewpoint he's a strong sales factor for Mandalorian 3. But would have preferred him to have gone the Jedi route. Was relieved Luke didn't jump out of the X-wing and save the day, but Ahsoka would have been a cool choice.

Definitely good to the see the Rancor in full rage mode. But as said above, the anticipated big battle was little more than a small scale shooting match. The shooty-crab like things didn't seem pack a great deal of punch and managed to miss everyone in front of them as they ran down the streets.

Boba and mando together was quite a cool fight scene but the seemed to get shot up quite easily - compared to the mando running down a corridor being repeatedly hit by stormtroopers.

Like I said, it was ok. Nothing is every going to please everyone and we all have our own expectations and things we would really love to see. I've enjoyed the series. Not amazing but enjoyable enough to watch. Will certainly watch from the start again.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I would say the last episode is the best one. I think it was really great, but I still do not like the bikes the cyborg uses.

When I see the season again, then maybe I will look different at it about which episode is the best :unsure:

Do any of you think there will come a new season or was this the end ?

sith-smith

Grand Master
If there's money to be made from it, then certainly there could be a season 2. Then ending seemed open enough for there to be another season.

I'd happily watch it.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Agreed. I'm sure they'll put in an appearance in the next season of 'The Mandalorian' at the very least, and probably in 'Ahsoka' too. The characters could even cameo (presumably separately) in the 'Obi-Wan Kenobi' series. Whether Disney deems 'The Book of Boba Fett' to have been successful enough to warrant a second season remains to be seen, but it did seem to me that the ending showing Cobb Vanth in the bacta tank might be hinting at him being put in charge in Boba's place, freeing up Boba and Fennec to go off on other adventures elsewhere.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Didn't either Fett or Fennec state towards the end something along the lines that they weren't cut out for that sort of life?

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
A controversial opinion I know but I thought the Luke training Grogu episode was the weakest of the 7 apart from the biker mice from mars on Vespa episode.

It suffered from the same issues The Force Awakens did, namely that it was a simple reboot of the ESB scenes. When you strip away the nostalgia we all feel for ESB and seeing the original trilogy characters back on screen you are not left with much. The dialogue was terrible (as it has been throughout TBOBF). And while I feel they nailed the CGI when compared to the end of season 2 of Mando I did not get the same tingle down my spine as I did then.

I much preferred the last episode and while it suffered from some of the issues aforementioned in posts above, seeing the Rancor in all its ferocity, compared to its laborious green screen stop start animation in ROTJ was worth the wait IMO.

I have yet to rewatch it but aside the Mando episode (which would of been better saved for season 3) my favourite episodes were the first two (especially episode 2) where we learned the Tusken back story and gave us a clue to the reasons behind the profound change in nature from the cold calculated methodical Boba from the OT.

All in all I liked it. Not as good as The Mandalorian, but glad we have Star Wars on our screens again and a damn sight better than the prequels and sequels.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Didn't either Fett or Fennec state towards the end something along the lines that they weren't cut out for that sort of life?
They did indeed. It doesn't guarantee anything of course, but it certainly adds weight to the idea that Boba might take off and go elsewhere, especially if Cobb is made whole and healthy again and is happy to take charge of things on Tatooine.

Wald

Padawan
I like how there's never-before-released content of young Boba rushing into the arena, and new establishing shots of Kamino...

Latest posts

Top Bottom