Childhood Vintage collection Valuation.

peter_cook2

Hi all,

I have recently dug out my childhood collection from the loft. Got more than I remember!

Most if not all figures have their weapons etc. and most of the vehicles are in good condition and complete. The AT-AT being the best with no discolouration and stickers not used.

Looking to possibly sell the collection depending on value. Would it be better to sell as one lot or separately? Is the only choice to sell on Ebay?

Thanks in advance.

XSYTPIA.jpg

2vdwuGV.jpg

fbnrkT2.jpg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum. Wow that is some collection you have there, these are my favourite threads :) My first advice would be don't rush in to anything. Star Wars collecting is pretty crazy and the tiniest variation in a figure can be the difference between £5 and £500, so it would be worth taking close up photos of everything to get an accurate valuation. It's very hard to value just from the photos you've shown, but you're definitely talking £1000+.

Then, you will certainly make more money selling individually, but it is a LOT of work. Generally resellers/dealers will pay around 40% value for a large collection like yours, so that gives you an idea of how much effort you'll have to put in to make the extra 60% profit.

Good luck and I hope you offer it all for sale here when you're ready!

Cheers,
Edd

TK-7785

Jedi Master
I you want to maximise your "return" selling everything individually is the way to go but, like Edd says, this takes a lot of time and effort. Add the fact that if you are not up on current variations and values you will have your work cut out in figuring out those individual values before you can even put them up for sale. Selling on ebay is one way to go but obviously sellers fees will make a dent on your takings as well as a lot of trips to the post office. Be prepared for idiots, time wasters and scammers too. Also, as Edd says though, you won't get full market value selling as one lot.

A quick totting up based on your photos and, assuming the condition of everything is good + and 100% complete, I would say overall value would be around £1500. You might have a rarer variant of a figure which may push that value up by a little or a lot.

Chris

lejackal

Grand Master
If sold individually and assuming that everything is complete and in good condition then I'd say you have £1500 or so in boxed items and card backs.
Figures and weapons would be on top of that.
The boxed Fett could add even more if it has Palitoy stickers on.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
lejackal said:
The boxed Fett could add even more if it has Palitoy stickers on.

This is the kind of detail you need to look in to, even the small difference like a sticker or paint colour can have a massive impact on price. Definitely worth getting an expert to look over everything.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Wow, nice collection. Make sure you really want to sell it before letting it go. We've had a few guys come on here and sell it, and straight away regret it. Some havebgot the bug and gone on to start collecting again, and even one fella who started buying back his old collection! If you do sell, see if you can find all the old weapons as they will add significant value to your loose collection.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
All advice given so far is spot on, you've done the right thing coming here to start with as we can help you identify the cherries in what is an awesome collection.

Can we see some pore pics of the Fett doll and box please? As Carl states, if that has a Palitoy sticker - or even a UK price label - that will greatly determine value.

You'll get a LOT of people after this and my advice is sell on the forum or Facebook as you'll have no ebay fees to pay - 100% going in your pocket.

It's more work to sell individually but more money for you - but if you want to sell as a whole then expect a lower amount.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
I can't give a valuation, but that is one great collection.
I remember discovering my childhood figures and vehicles in the loft.

I can only echo what has been said above.

Make sure that you really want to sell.
If so, then take closer photos, in focus, good lighting.
Sell on here or Facebook groups.
I would probably avoid ebay.
Don't rush and accept the first offer.
You have likely received offers already, but dont rush.
Get some better photos and the lads here will be able to give better valuations.

coomber75

Sith Lord
Nice discovery echo all said here already be really sure if you want to part with it all.. Maybe keep a couple of bits as once it's gone.... Individual selling earns the cash but knowledge is key the guys here are great on helping with that!!

peter_cook2

Thanks for all the replies. :D

Great advice from you all. I was thinking definitely sell, but since I've been looking on here the last couple of days I'm finding myself doubting if I want to after all. Been looking at some great collections you guys have.

If I wanted to get an expert to look at them how would I go about it? How do you go about getting pieces graded?

I've taken some more pictures of the Large Fett and all weapons Etc that I have found so far, annoyingly large Fett has his gun missing but I am optimistic I will find it when I get back into the loft at the weekend!

ad4oHHi.jpg

hQI67z5.jpg

vQwgzpt.jpg

psX6jJ0.jpg

eGIRw3d.jpg

5OeTN1y.jpg

eVwje1L.jpg

4vPpYwj.jpg

Also found this little fella hiding in a box!
rcXleBb.jpg

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
I'm not an expwrt on grading, not into it, but not really sure it would be worth your trouble.
The figures are play worn, as are the vehicles.
You cpuld get good prices for the vehicles, assuming they are sound, because most of the boxes are in very good order.
That Landspeeder looks like it came off tje shelf yesterday.

Pair the weapons up with the figures. Photos front and back and markings on the leg.
Paint rub and stiffness of limbs, discolouring, general wear and tear pays a part in price.
Be aware of variants, out of my league.
Photos of cardbacks. Front and back.
Photos of vehicles, all parts, carboard inserts and sticker sheets.

Search ebay for complete figure listings.

People here can help but it is a lot of work, very time consuming.
But, if you decide on selling, it is important to take good photos to get the best assessment possible to get the best price.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
What a find :shock:
I would echo all the advice already given and to really think long and hard about if you really want to sell the collection or keep all or some of it,
As once it's gone it's gone!
If you do choose to sell, my advice would be to take it slowly and research one item at a time so you understand what your selling.
It's been in your loft for years, another year won't matter surly?
Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
If you can let us know roughly where you are, we can probably recommend a local trusted collector or dealer you could meet up with who could help you value it all perhaps in exchange for first dibs on buying when you sell. I think that would be far easier and quicker than taking hundreds of photos.

Darkest_Logic

Jedi Knight
peter_cook2 said:
Thanks for all the replies. :D

Great advice from you all. I was thinking definitely sell, but since I've been looking on here the last couple of days I'm finding myself doubting if I want to after all. Been looking at some great collections you guys have.

If I wanted to get an expert to look at them how would I go about it? How do you go about getting pieces graded?

I've taken some more pictures of the Large Fett and all weapons Etc that I have found so far, annoyingly large Fett has his gun missing but I am optimistic I will find it when I get back into the loft at the weekend!

ad4oHHi.jpg

hQI67z5.jpg

vQwgzpt.jpg

psX6jJ0.jpg

eGIRw3d.jpg

5OeTN1y.jpg

eVwje1L.jpg

4vPpYwj.jpg

Also found this little fella hiding in a box!
rcXleBb.jpg

Really like the large fett :D

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
The Fett looks like a UK catalogue piece - KAYS catalogue judging by the reference on the label. Don't worry about the gun missing, it's one of the pieces you can pick up separately if it's missing - normally about £20-25.

The box and figure look to be in really good shape, plus it has the yellow insert. Do you have the 2 instruction sheets that go with it? Check inside between the box and insert, they might still be in there.

An example like this has not been sold for a while - 12 months ago they were fetching £300 all day long - I would hazard a guess that has gone up, so maybe £350.

If you've got any doubts then keep it - you can only sell it once and then it's gone for good. Most of us here would give our right arms for our childhood collection. You've got the making of an awesome collection there, I'd be keeping it but if you were to sell then start thinking about a nice holiday...

jayums

Jedi Master
I don't think anybody can give you a very accurate estimate as it's impossIble to tell. That said I'd be amazed if you didn't have £1500-2000 there.

If I were you I'd be patient and take your time whatever you decide to do. Much better to photograph stuff individually so we can get a good look at condition - but you might have some gems hidden away that would be a shame not to identify before selling them on in a job lot etc

Time consuming but extra photos always useful when it comes to sales. Like you did with the fett - you will get much better advice from the experts on here. price stickers, posters, box inserts can all add value.

Like others have said, think long and hard about selling. I reckon a lot of chaps on here would trade their entire collections to have their own original toys back.
I'd keep them all, but at the very least I'd keep some of them! Probably the figures as they don't take up too much space.

Good luck!

peter_cook2

Hi all,

After much thinking and questioning myself, I am ready to start selling some of my collection.

Can anyone tell me how much i should be asking for the large Boba Fett and the talking R2-D2.

Also which Facebook group would you guys reccomend for selling Etc. or should i just stick with the forum?

jayums

Jedi Master
All of the advice I've read here is really good !

Not too sure about the two you've mentioned you want valuations for (as I don't collect those so don't look out for the prices).

Still I'd be surprised if I got much change from a grand for both of those you mentioned (if complete and in good order) . Will be interested to hear how far out I am. Every day a school day :lol:

Good luck whatever you decide to do !

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
peter_cook2 said:
Hi all,

After much thinking and questioning myself, I am ready to start selling some of my collection.

Can anyone tell me how much i should be asking for the large Boba Fett and the talking R2-D2.

Also which Facebook group would you guys reccomend for selling Etc. or should i just stick with the forum?

Prices have sky-rocketed since you first posted this so hanging on for a couple of years has really stood you in good stead.

It would be great to see this stuff listed for sale on the forum as this is where you came to for help, but the best groups for selling are Jabba's Court, Echo Base and for Palitoy items check out the Star Wars Palitoy Collector group.

Use ebay sold listins as a guide but for the rarer stuff go for an auction and let it find it's current value.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom