SWFUK

Thunder thigh Stormtrooper

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
MightyMike
Regular
Regular

Thunder thigh Stormtrooper

Postby MightyMike » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:05 pm

What I got here? I don't think it is a Poontrooper (although the COO is the same variant), as some of the pointers don't match but to me the legs are spread too far apart and his hips are about 2mm wider

In addition it is about 3 mm smaller than my other Stormtroopers, the arms 'clunk' every quarter turn and some of the black paint is very amateurish

Is it just an early version of a Poontrooper or someone else's?
Attachments
Legs.JPG
Legs.JPG (37.48 KiB) Viewed 247 times
COO.JPG
COO.JPG (17.21 KiB) Viewed 247 times
Ccompare.JPG
Ccompare.JPG (56.95 KiB) Viewed 247 times

Snaketibe
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: Thunder thigh Stormtrooper

Postby Snaketibe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:28 pm

The right arm looks a bit deformed to me. It might possibly be a vintage original which came out of the mould slightly deformed (a 'short-pour' perhaps?). That would explain the 'amateurish' paint you refer to as the figure would not have fit perfectly into the spray mask.

The wide leg stance could be the reason for the height difference (although there can be slight height differences across different figure variants anyway), since the wider apart the legs, the shorter the figure becomes.

I'm not saying it is this, but it's certainly a possibility.

MightyMike
Regular
Regular

Postby MightyMike » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:43 pm

That could make sense. Measuring the body it is correct however the legs are about 2.5mm shorter.
Is it a case that all 4 limbs would be moulded together on a sprue and kept together during manufacturer? The paint on the right arm almost looks like it has bled, I just thought it had been touched up but maybe something else

TK-7785
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TK-7785 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:50 pm

Perhaps he was left astride a vehicle or creature for many years in a loft causing the legs to stay in that position!?
WANTED:
Rebel Commando focus items - MOCs, Baggies... http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37721
ROTJ Store Display Items

MightyMike
Regular
Regular

Postby MightyMike » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:02 pm

TK-7785 wrote:Perhaps he was left astride a vehicle or creature for many years in a loft causing the legs to stay in that position!?

Not sure that is the case, the top of his hips start to pop out if I try to squeeze his feet together.

His thighs are up to 1mm wider than the figure I'm comparing it against, there doesn't seem to be any clearance from his crotch to the top of the leg which I think is forcing his leg out

Capetown
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Capetown » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:56 pm

'Thunder thigh'. Are you a 'The Deuce' watcher?

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”