SPOILERS THREAD-The Rise of Skywalker-SPOILERS THREAD

Discuss all Star Wars films here - the original trilogy, prequel trilogy and the new Disney films.
jayums
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: SPOILERS THREAD-The Rise of Skywalker-SPOILERS THREAD

Post by jayums »

Just got back from cinema... first thoughts:

Criticisms first: I thought it was very cheesy and dialogue was flat in places. Plot convoluted and needed tightening up. Some unnecessary and bizarre bits (the spy reveal, silly space horses, too many new characters etc).

BUT despite all that I enjoyed it way more than TLJ . It was at least a bit more fun and actually make me laugh a few times (and get emotional). Lots of good action sequences too. Dealt with Leia as well as it possibly could.

Overall, flawed yes - far too much movie in one movie - but to it’s heart was in the right place. Let’s face it, it had to go some to tie up the story given where it has to pick things up from TLJ (which IMO was a total mess and left nothing to do).

JJ should kick himself he didn’t do all three of the sequels - yes, he is a second rate Spielberg - but I’m sure it would have been more cohesive had he have done so.

It’s a missed opportunity for sure. To me it’s glorified fan fiction and there will only ever be three proper Star Wars films, but it is what it is, and I have to say it was a decent effort to get things back on track and is at least fun and exciting, which I think kids will like.
Last edited by jayums on Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

100sounds
New User
New User

Post by 100sounds »

Just seen Rise of Skywalker tonight at the cinema (along with seeing Ep7 and 8 for the first time too).

In general I feel it's just started to become more like a super hero movie. It's more about who has the strongest inherited power than the battle between the philosophical approach of the Jedi vs the dark side, which I find far more memorable and interesting.

The very final battle between Rey and Palpatine is hilariously underwhelming, it's just like watching two people play tug of war, one wins the other loses and thats that. Rey doesn't even use her new found lightning force powers that she discovers briefly earlier on in the film.

The way Kylo Ren appears to die, is then resurrected, then Rey appears to die, is then resurrected, then Kylo Ren dies again but for good! By this point I'm done caring and just wish they'd make their mind up.

I thought it would have been more interesting if Rey would have actually died and Kylo Ren lived to become the new reformed leader of the Jedi. I actually thought this might be the plot twist at the end which I thought was quite clever. I was quite disappointed when Rey came back to life and Kylo Ren died. It was just boring.

AndyPreston
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by AndyPreston »

I for one really enjoyed it. Sure it’s not perfect, but after the mess that was TLJ it stands as a very worthy end to the saga. Most unresolved plot threads are wrapped up (and some new ones left hanging - Palpatine had offspring??), there were some great character moments, I thought Carrie was excellent, great to see Harrison one last time, and Mark got to redeem Luke after the awful portrayal in TLJ. There were some fantastic action sequences, and some real shocks and surprises. Good to see R2 and 3PO with a proper role to play, and Lando was a welcome return. There were even a few moments that brought a tear to my eye, and that’s very unusual.

All in all it stands as a good Star Wars movie, and I’ve very few complaints. Thanks JJ.
http://www.ukstarwars.com Looking for non-toy vintage British SW items esp. store displays, advertising & promotional items, and cast & crew or prop items.

_Lee_
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by _Lee_ »

I didn't like it. So Rey is a Palpatine, and took the Skywalker family name. In the end Palpatine wins just by that alone and it completely destroys the Skywalker story and all that happened up to the end of ROTJ. No clear explanation how Palpatine survived and too many plot holes. Basically, if we include these films its the Palpatine saga, but if we ignore it then its still the Skywalker saga. I know why Mark Hamill is so pissed.

Its also like spin the bottle in some points, Kylo dies, Rey dies blah,blah.

For me the sequels don't exist, but hey...that's me :D
Vintage toys ,prop and autograph collector and Luton Town FC supporter.
Also try to play guitar with the guy in my avatar as an inspiration!
JASON BECKER STILL THE BEST EVER AND STILL HERE DESPITE A.L.S.

CaptainAntilles
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainAntilles »

So basically its time to bin the Prequel Trilogy , bin the sequel trilogy and consider episodes 4-6 as the entire saga . Job done
I met him in a swamp down in Dagoba
Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda
S-O-D-A, soda

I saw the little runt sitting there on a log
I asked him his name and in a raspy voice he said "yoda"
Y-O-D-A, Yoda
yo yo yo yoda

_Lee_
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by _Lee_ »

The only thing about the PT is that it is related to the Skywalker saga, so it can be forgiven.

Id actually say that AOTC is no longer the worst Star Wars movie. Its sitting pretty in 4th - not counting R1 and Solo which were great movies.

Cazza
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Cazza »

AndyPreston wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:28 am
I for one really enjoyed it. Sure it’s not perfect, but after the mess that was TLJ it stands as a very worthy end to the saga. Most unresolved plot threads are wrapped up (and some new ones left hanging - Palpatine had offspring??), there were some great character moments, I thought Carrie was excellent, great to see Harrison one last time, and Mark got to redeem Luke after the awful portrayal in TLJ. There were some fantastic action sequences, and some real shocks and surprises. Good to see R2 and 3PO with a proper role to play, and Lando was a welcome return. There were even a few moments that brought a tear to my eye, and that’s very unusual.

All in all it stands as a good Star Wars movie, and I’ve very few complaints. Thanks JJ.
Feel quite similar to this, although felt it was a bit of a mess. It was fun, breathtaking and exciting. However, there was too much going on and too many plot conveniences and while I liked some of the fan service, I also felt some of it was trying too hard and shoe-horned in.

I would thoroughly recommend watching it and just sitting back and enjoying the ride, so you can make an informed judgement. Don't pay too much attention to leaks such as 'Kylo revives Rey with a kiss' as they are hyperbole and taken out of context. He heals her with the force (as she had done to him earlier), THEN they kiss. It was a good scene IMHO.

Looking forward to my second viewing with the whole family on Saturday- will be able to take it in much better. I've found all of the recent films much better on second viewing, as midnight screenings can be a bit of a blur.

PS- my 13 year old son saw it with me last night and was blown away :)
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... =8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

Twin30mm
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Post by Twin30mm »

Cazza wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:00 pm
PS- my 13 year old son saw it with me last night and was blown away :)
At the end of the day, this is the only reaction that really matters.
Whatever us moaning old farts think is totally irrelevant.
MTFBWY

indianawars
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by indianawars »

WOW! 'RISE OF SKYWALKER'. A BRILLIANT ENDING TO THE SKYWALKER SAGA! ❤❤❤

I've just finished watching for a second time. JJ had an impossible mission on his hands, but you can see he gave it his all.

I don't understand the negativity towards Star Wars at the moment - maybe it's now cool to be a grumpy, miserable git :roll:

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

I agree, thought it was great. Not sure really what else you could ask for, answered all the questions and tied up all the lose ends. Palpatine returning even worked for me and I really was sceptical about that.

Over all pleasantly suprised and loved the ending. The two lightsabers is genius and loved how and where they got hidden.

For me nothing will touch the first trilogy or change that story. But the two book end trilogies have a place for me.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

grinchy
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by grinchy »

I loved it, what an ending to the saga! I need to see it again but for me it was ace, glad there are still some people who like it, kudos to JJ and the company :D
IF I WOKE UP TOMMOROW WITH MY HEAD SEWN TO THE CARPET I WOULDN'T BE MORE SURPRISED THAN I AM NOW
YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES!

_Lee_
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by _Lee_ »

Just for back after taking Sonny to see it. After 2nd viewing I'm looking at a little differently, but the Papa palpatine idea still irks me.

Sonny said it was good but he cannot understand how or why Palps survived. He said it makes ROTJ look a bit silly now, and he is 11 years old. But he has been brought up an OT kid so.

_Lee_
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by _Lee_ »

I've seen a few people saying that this film 'wraps it nicely' which to me is very wrong. This film has completely shattered the saga with its use of Palpatine. It had left more questions that answers. JJ knew what he was doing and as long as he put something better than TLJ out there, it would do.

I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but can someone please explain how this wraps it up nicely or finishes the saga nicely??

Dr_Ball_MD
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by Dr_Ball_MD »

I walked out liking it, then more and more through the evening thinking about it I absolutely loved it!

theforceuk
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by theforceuk »

_Lee_ wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:25 pm
I've seen a few people saying that this film 'wraps it nicely' which to me is very wrong. This film has completely shattered the saga with its use of Palpatine. It had left more questions that answers. JJ knew what he was doing and as long as he put something better than TLJ out there, it would do.

I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but can someone please explain how this wraps it up nicely or finishes the saga nicely??
Lee we have to stop going through the same routine every time a new Star Wars film comes out! Some are going to love this film and many like yourself are going to struggle with it, I get that completely. Fans have a right to be angry with how this trilogy has been produced, but try not to vent that frustration with the fans that do like it.

I don't want to explain how the film satisfied me, but it did and I'm happy with the ending of the saga. At the same time I get your frustration and if you need someone to explain how it wraps the story up, I don't think there is any point as it wont be what you wanted from these films. Infact I don't think you really wanted these films to be made at all, which I also completely get. :)
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'