Correct stands for Palitoy Death Star

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Can anyone with a DS playset have a look at these, please, and let me know if they look like they're original stands for the playset?

I had hoped to pick up a set for £20 but this isn't too far off:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201485866949&globalID=EBAY-GB

Palifan

Sith Lord
Really difficult to tell about these as the originals are so close to the ones Iain makes. The originals I have from memory have the faintest texture to the underside of them. As Action Force also used the same stands it's hard to know if this texture went away for the AF ones but hopefully either someone who has original DS ones or maybe Iain can let you know for sure.

Sorry not to be more helpful at this point.

Ian

Richard_H

Grand Master
The genuine ones have 3 half circles on the base which these look like they have from underneath. Most photos show 2 clearly but it looks like there are 3 in some.

£28 is cheap for 6 though. You're normally looking at £40 for 6. And this guy is selling the modern based.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Many thanks for the answers, chaps. I've gone and hit the Buy It Now button. I'll drop him a message to make sure they have those marks on them, Rich, although I think I see the marks you mention and from the position and photos I'm confident they're present on at least 5 of the stands. Hopefully, that's my "complete" DS from Vectis actually complete.

Vectis have been quite good about it and have, effectively, covered the cost of the stands and two replacement parts I claimed were not in the condition described, so fair play to them and in particular I'm grateful to Kathy.

walkie

Sith Lord
Richard_H said:
The genuine ones have 3 half circles on the base which these look like they have from underneath. Most photos show 2 clearly but it looks like there are 3 in some.

£28 is cheap for 6 though. You're normally looking at £40 for 6. And this guy is selling the modern based.

Nope, repros also have the same 3 semi-circles...

us27HnI.jpg

I once heard a rumour that these are made from the original tool salvaged from the palitoy factory, it would be nice to hear if this is true or not.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Looking again at the ebay picture you'll notice that there's no circle around the bottom of the foot peg like there is on the repro one. This is another good sign that they're original although I can't remember if the ones Iain has has this circle on them or not. Also the ebay ones look to have the slightest bit of discolour to them, where as the repros are crystal clear. it's an age thing I'm sure and would probably very but looking all the more good for it.

Great price as well! :D

Ian

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks for your further thoughts, guys. Interesting. They do look a little worn. Will see when they turn up and let you know. Would be interesting to do a side by side comparison with the new and old.

walkie

Sith Lord
Palifan said:
Looking again at the ebay picture you'll notice that there's no circle around the bottom of the foot peg like there is on the repro one. This is another good sign that they're original although I can't remember if the ones Iain has has this circle on them or not. Also the ebay ones look to have the slightest bit of discolour to them, where as the repros are crystal clear. it's an age thing I'm sure and would probably very but looking all the more good for it.

Great price as well! :D

Ian

Yes the modern repro one's have the circle around the peg and the plastic used in lower quality.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom