Current market price for Palitoy 12 backs - afa 85

fett1972

Padawan
Hi

In todays market what would be the going rate for star wars palitoy afa 85 (or equal ungraded examples) 12 backs. I have looked at ebay and the prices vary quite a bit. I am interested as i have posted on the wants age ofy desire to get a set but i am curious of what i should be offereing to pay, as i do not want to insult sellers or greatly over pay

Thanks

sith-smith

Grand Master
They change on a weekly basis it seems.

eBay is probably the most up to date. If they vary, take an average.

I'd have thought...though I have really not been checking much recently...that the main five are still well over the £1k mark for 85 standard examples on average.

Luke and Chewie could be anywhere from £2.5K-5k
Leia Ben and Han probably from £1.5-2k

Vader appears to be hitting over the 1k mark now. Even a Jawa has gone for 1k!!

But it fluctuates a lot. More now than I have ever seen it do in the past. Prices were always varying in the past but never this much. Figures usually hit a maximum and only the odd one would go above or way below.

Now everything seems to be odd!!

fett1972

Padawan
Thanks again Gary for taking the time to respond. It's so difficult judging what us a fair price to offer/pay as prices are varying wildly, particularly judging by the recent Vectis auctions which seem to have shook the market. I was looking to pay around £1600 to £2000 for afa 85 palitoys han, ben and leia if I can find anyone selling. Looking to pay between £600 to £800 for jawa, c3po etc

I think i would be lucky to find a chewie or luke

Palifan

Sith Lord
Here's one that matches your budget but such a shame about the sticker -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-star-wars-super-rare-palitoy-12-back-princess-leia-organa-ukg-85-/261474882889?pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN&hash=item3ce11e1549

I've removed a fair few stickers in my time (and before you all flame me I've managed to remove them and then reapply them on the back to keep the history), and feel if it was mine I'd chance taking it off. It's not for the faint hearted, and maybe at that price I'd think twice but the seller may even accept a fair offer due to the sticker issue. Failing that it's just playing the waiting game.

Here are the prices I've seen on ebay over the last year, all are 85 grades and prices in GBP -

March 2013 - Stormtrooper - 600
April 2013 - DSC - 900
November 2013 - R2D2 - 1,020
Jan 2014 - DSC - 850
Jan 2014 - Jawa - 1000
Jan 2014 - Darth Vader - 900
March 2014 - DSC - 700
March 2014 - C3PO - 700
March 2014 - Sandpeople - 700
March 2014 - Stormtrooper - 725

Also in March this year was an 85 DSD for 1035 and a Luke X-Wing for 700.

Hope that's of some help.

Ian

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the Vectis auctions. Some buyers clearly don't want anything to do with ebay and will pay a premium to buy stuff from Vectis, so the prices are bizarrely high for some items.

I wonder whether all of the people with a Jawa focus is forcing the price up at the moment. Two have gone on ebay for £1k recently, and they were AFA 80's.

sith-smith

Grand Master
fett1972 said:
Thanks again Gary for taking the time to respond. It's so difficult judging what us a fair price to offer/pay as prices are varying wildly, particularly judging by the recent Vectis auctions which seem to have shook the market. I was looking to pay around £1600 to £2000 for afa 85 palitoys han, ben and leia if I can find anyone selling. Looking to pay between £600 to £800 for jawa, c3po etc

I think i would be lucky to find a chewie or luke

No problem. Had this been years ago, when I was helping quite a few people complete the first 12/20 I could have given you reliable accurate prices. Now...it's anyone's guess it seems.

I think putting together a set of the first 12 is possible...expensive and filled with frustration and disappointment, but possible. It'll just take time, money and a bit of luck. They are all out there in reasonable numbers. Just not enough to meet the demand of people wanting them.

A set of the 20 ESB characters on 30 backs, I'd be inclined to say is less likely...but still not impossible!

fett1972

Padawan
Thanks for all your replies. Ebay seller whitehgloves has just sold an AFA80 Leia for £3000. A version with the exact same grades sold for £1650 on 30 March, which i believe Whitehgloves may have purchased. Not sure if 3k is its market value, but I think I am going to have to increase what I am willing to pay to compete. If anyone can provide assistance or knows of anyone selling please let me know

Thanks

sith-smith

Grand Master
Well, according to his listings, he hasn't sold one for £3000 as it's still on his other items.

The fact that there's one on eBay now for under £2k, the recent vectis ones went for less than 2k, then I'd have said £3k was no where near the market value.

He has a Ben and a Han for sale as well. Overpriced for condition, but he does accept best offers so maybe worth a shot if condition is ok with you. Not great though.

He seemed a nice enough guy when I dealt with him, though he is clearly overplaying the rarity of these figures, which I guess is natural for a seller!

fett1972

Padawan
Thats weird, i made an offer and about an hour later i received a message from ebay as follows:
You offered £1,500.00. The item just sold at £3,000.00.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Item information
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom