Darth Vader tour photos wanted

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
When the great looking Vader costume guy hit Glasgow's Jolly Giant it was advertised as a double appearance with, of all things, the General Lee from the Dukes Of Hazard!

I popped along to see it for as moment while tall Vader bloke was having a break.A break which was needed because the poor sod was being mobbed - it was a large crowd and it was hard to get near him until they whisked him away and arranged a queue.At one point I remember an adult guy pushing through us kids to get his rental video signed.

Anyway, every so often they'd press the General Lee's horn so as to make •that• tune echo thru the big warehouse building that was the Jolly Giant. Nobody gave a **** about it.

Dantooine

Padawan
I saw him at Kerrisons in Gt Yarmouth. No photos, but I clearly remember looking over the side of the staircase that he was walking up when he made his entrance. Brilliant, can't remember if I got anything, just loads of us kids who all went quiet as he appeared.

Great photos guys.

MrKutzzy

Padawan
Woolworths in Exeter :D

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,202

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
What a great picture and what fantastic memories from everyone. The deadline for photographs has now passed but I'm always interested in photos and stories of Darth Vader and other costumed activity in the U.K. Boba Fett want on tour in 1980 but photographic evidence is practically non-existent.

I've seen a photo of Vader with red lenses before, or it might depend on how light caught the touring helmets. I know that Vader appearances were very much in demand in 1983. The costumes may have been cobbled together from different sources, such as the touring costumes from 1978, the replicas manufactured by Nick Farmer and the movie costumes.

I might get the time to get forensic about the costumes at some stage. I recall there being a good website that had information on the touring Vader costumes but I can't track it down.

An interesting subject!

MrKutzzy

Padawan
Deffo red lenses :D
I remember saying to my Dad " thats not the real Darth Vader , Hes got red eyes"
Ive got some other pictures of this day but this was the only one scaned onto this HD.
Will put the others up if you want to see them ?? They show the red eyes better if i remember rightly :D

£1.49 FIGURES

Padawan
I know I've shared this with you already Craig but here is a snapshot of "Darth Vader" from early 1983 or late 1982 when he visited Scotch Corner toy shop in Kilmarnock. A long ago now but my memories are of waiting in a huge queue outside the shop after closing time, finally making it upstairs to where "Darth" was standing and then limply shaking his gloved firm hand before heading back home again. What a treat - thanks, Dad!

Attachments

• PIC 3 - VADER VISIT 1982.jpg
    PIC 3 - VADER VISIT 1982.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,172

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Thanks for sharing. I'm no expert on Darth Vader costumes but I notice the red eyes again and also that he appears to be improperly dressed. The belt should be the other way around, with the triangle on the buckle on his right. He also looks a bit untidy overall. I'm sure that anyone at the event wouldn't have noticed!

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
It might be deceptive. They've tried to stretch all of the material around to his front, obscuring some of the breastplate. The "actors" all had to be pretty big guys.

Agreed. Plenty of Palitoy on show in the pic!

£1.49 FIGURES

Padawan
[-quote="Simply Sci-fi"]It might be deceptive. They've tried to stretch all of the material around to his front, obscuring some of the breastplate. The "actors" all had to be pretty big guys.

Agreed. Plenty of Palitoy on show in the pic![/quote]

I remember the Imperial March playing in the background or perhaps it was just the Star Wars main theme on a loop but honestly, as a kid the 'Darth Vader' that I met was a huge hulking brute. Looking at the pic again though, perhaps it wasn't his best side! :D

That display was a drop in the ocean in terms of how much Palitoy goodness was available in that toy shop. And then, round about mid 1984 all the Star Wars just seemed to disappear, never to be replaced. But from 1979 - early 84 it was full of Palitoy wonder!

poncho

Grand Master
poncho said:
Ive.a cardback signed by 'a' darth vader from one of those tours if thats of interest to you
3 years later :lol:

Attachments

• 1549276577357-1179518615.jpg
    1549276577357-1179518615.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 902

JMoore

This is a great collection of momentos I have a signed autograph much like the one shown earlier but no photo of me with Vader unfortunately.

I assume David Prowse didnt do any of the events and it was just whatever big guy they could find that wore the suit? Or did David do some of them?

I also wrote a letter as kid about my meeting with Darth Vader to a magazine and got it published. Problem is my copy of the magazine with my letter in vanished and I cant remember what magazine it was.

It would have been a UK published Star Wars magazine or some kind of fan club newsletter and shortly published after the Darth Vader tour and one that had a readers letters section.

Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• DSCF1806.JPG
    DSCF1806.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 878

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
JMoore said:
This is a great collection of momentos I have a signed autograph much like the one shown earlier but no photo of me with Vader unfortunately.

I assume David Prowse didnt do any of the events and it was just whatever big guy they could find that wore the suit? Or did David do some of them?

I also wrote a letter as kid about my meeting with Darth Vader to a magazine and got it published. Problem is my copy of the magazine with my letter in vanished and I cant remember what magazine it was.

It would have been a UK published Star Wars magazine or some kind of fan club newsletter and shortly published after the Darth Vader tour and one that had a readers letters section.

Any ideas anyone?

Very probably the Star Wars Weekly comic (or Return of the Jedi Weekly, or whatever they were calling it at the time).

I think you're right, I never hear£ of Dave Prowse making any personal appearances in costume.

£1.49 FIGURES

Padawan
Hiya,
I may well have located your magazine article and if so then I'm happy to reunite you with your vintage letter.
I have looked through about 40 issues of the fortnightly Star Wars comic from mid 83 - 86 and there are four issues of the Marvel published comic from 1984 to 1985 contained reader letters from kids about meeting Darth Vader. The names of the kids whose letters were published are Richard Barnes (photo also published) February 85 edition #85, Graham Wignall (photo also published) May 83 edition #49, Timothy Ward (photo from the toyshop also published) April 85 edition #97 and a joint letter from Mark Withers and David Marsh (photo from outside the toyshop also published) August 85 #113.
Let me know if you're any of the guys above and I'll send you the magazine for a nice wee trip down memory lane.
Cheers.

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
£1.49 FIGURES said:
I know I've shared this with you already Craig but here is a snapshot of "Darth Vader" from early 1983 or late 1982 when he visited Scotch Corner toy shop in Kilmarnock. A long ago now but my memories are of waiting in a huge queue outside the shop after closing time, finally making it upstairs to where "Darth" was standing and then limply shaking his gloved firm hand before heading back home again. What a treat - thanks, Dad!

Great photo! :eek: Scotch Corner in Killie and Ayr were two places I remember having SW toys from my childhood. I remember being in the Ayr branch about '86 and they had a wall full of heavily reduced vehicles and figs - and my parents refused to buy me anything :cry: I got the 'you're too old for that stuff now' speech. When I was back in a year later it was all gone - haunts me till this day! :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom