Help and advice needed please on re-carded or re-sealed items

Fawns61

Padawan
Hi

As per the title I would really appreciate all you experts giving me some advice on some items I have mentioned on the Valuations thread, please.

Firstly, I have put them as re-sealed but have just discovered that 're-carded' and 're-sealed' are different. It poses many questions I don't know the answers to.

Basically I bought these from a Toy Fair in the 1990's in this condition. It is clear that they have been re-glued etc at some point but I don't have the expertise to know anything else, or what to look for in particular.
For example, will the figures/weapon/bubble/cardback be new?
Will the weapon/bubbles/cardback be the correct ones for that particular figure?
How do I know if any item is genuine?
How do I know if any of the Palitoy ones are TT's?

I'd love to sell them but feel I can't really do that without knowing how genuine they are and what sort of price bracket they are in.

I hope some of you are kind enough to help.

The related listings are:

Thank you in anticipation :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Hi,

A resealed figure should be a vintage original figure reattached to a vintage original cardback using a vintage original bubble / blister. Any weapons or accessories should ideally be vintage originals, but if not then clearly declared as being modern reproductions. Likewise any footer present (if the card should have one; not all did) should also ideally be a vintage original, however again, if a modern reproduction is used, this should be declared. If any reproduction footer has been fashioned from another vintage cardback this too should be declared, since some collectors will prefer it if all the parts and pieces in the reseal are vintage in origin. If any modern tape is used inside the bubble to secure the weapon (where this was used on the original MOC, of course), this too should be declared.

A recarded figure will (hopefully) be a vintage original figure (although even this is no longer guaranteed), but reattached to a modern reproduction cardback using a modern reproduction bubble / blister. Weapons and accessories may be either vintage originals or more likely modern reproductions, as will any footer and tape.

Reseals are usually accepted by most collectors as a valid alternative to MOC's, but recards are a very different thing, and are frowned upon by many collectors.

How do you know if any item is genuine? Do your research, learn the knowledge there is to learn... or ask the experts ;)

Looking at your 5 cards, all appear to be reseals, with vintage original figures, cardbacks and bubbles, with the bubbles matching the cards, i.e. all the bubbles appear to be the original ones that came with those exact cardbacks. I don't *think* any of yours should have footers or tape, but I will bow to the superior knowledge of others if I am incorrect in this.

Because you bought them in the 90's, the figures will be genuine, and the accessories are very likely to be genuine as well, as reproductions were far less common back then, although this is not guaranteed to be the case. The accessories would need to be closely examined and compared to those on the Variant Villain website (https://www.variantvillain.com) to be sure. If genuine, are they the correct ones for those figures (and indeed, are those figures the correct variants for those cardbacks)? That's an interesting question, and the answer is often, 'it depends' :). To be completely correct, not only must the correct general type of figure and accessory be included, e.g. an Imperial blaster with a Stormtrooper, etc. (this seems to be the case with yours, although I cannot see a rifle packed in with your Luke Hoth, unless he's lying completely on top of it), but the figure also needs to be the correct variant that came on that exact cardback and it should also have the correct 'M' numbered accessory included. For example, if your Stormtrooper was made in the Kader factory and originally came with an M3 Kader blaster, then that's the blaster that should be included. Determining which exact figure variant came on which exact cardback can be very difficult, unless you have access to a true sealed MOC example of that cardback that you can examine, or have very good photographs of one. There may be a website out there that has a comprehensive list of these, but if there is, I am unaware of it.

In days past, few collectors knew or cared about the different factory weapons (or figure variants), and hence a Stormtrooper reseal could easily comprise any Stormtrooper variant with any old Imperial blaster, but not necessarily the correct ones for that exact cardback. These days more collectors do care about this, but when it comes to reseals, it's fair to say that a lot of leeway is usually given providing the figures and accessories are all vintage originals. Again, for more information on figures and weapons, visit Variant Villain (https://www.variantvillain.com) and Mr Palitoy's website (https://mrpalitoy.webs.com/).

As for Toy Toni figures, I advise referring to Mr Palitoy's website (https://mrpalitoy.webs.com/), however again, if you bought yours in the 90's, it should probably be too early for any of yours to be Toy Toni figures.

I hope that helps :)

Jeremy

Fawns61

Padawan
Wow, @Snaketibe, thank you for taking the time for such an informative and helpful response. I will certainly look at the links provided, though will probably still have some questions to add on here :)

It is a relief to think that they are hopefully all genuine and are reseals. I will try and get some clearer photos of the accessories. Luke Hoth does not have a weapon, there is a hole in the bottom of the bubble so I don't know if it fell out before or after I bought it.

I am looking to sell them as soon as I get some valuations, preferably to a regular on here rather than Evilbay.

I really appreciate your post, thanks :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom