Land Of The Jawas Playset

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Michael Sith said:
chipsteak said:
Interesting.

I've never owned one and never knew about the differences. I love the Palitoy 'at night' box which reminds me of the Pali Landspeeder. Am I right in thinking that in having a different base, the Pali one is made of very thin plastic a la Cantina?

Palitoy version had no escape pod, no indent on the base for the escape pod, the cave section is not present on the Palitoy version and the action lever again is not present, and yes the plastic base is flimsier.

url=https://flic.kr/p/JbRkDX]
27689775821_1ba05f2fc0_z.jpg
[/url]image by michael smith, on Flickr

Thanks michael for that info. I did not know that :wink:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
And don't forget the other bits that were included; a Jawa with gun, a fighting figure stand, 2 circular bases and a different black plastic lift to the US version :)

Attachments

• Bits.jpg
    Bits.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 567

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
And don't forget the other bits that were included; a Jawa with gun, a fighting figure stand, 2 circular bases and a different black plastic lift to the US version :)

Thanks, now I also want such a set :lol:

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
I learn something new everyday. While looking at a sales ad on here, i just realized that the lift on the palitoy one is molded in black. I own this set, but mine was just the base using one from a Kenner one as i thought there was no difference in the backdrop. ****.. Now i need that part.

And i just read that above as well. :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
tiefighterboy said:
I learn something new everyday. While looking at a sales ad on here, i just realized that the lift on the palitoy one is molded in black. I own this set, but mine was just the base using one from a Kenner one as i thought there was no difference in the backdrop. ****.. Now i need that part.

And i just read that above as well. :lol:

Apologies if I am misunderstanding you and the following is something you are already well aware of, but in case you're not, it's not just the lift that's different. Every single aspect of the Palitoy LOTJ playset is different from the Kenner version. The plastic base is the most obviously different thing, but the cardboard backdrop is made of single thickness uncorrugated card in the Palitoy version, where the Kenner one uses much thicker corrugated card. The lift is completely different, as already discussed, and of course the Palitoy set has the unique fighting figure stand, the 2 circular bases and the Jawa with gun, as shown in my earlier post.

If you want to see more images, I currently have a Palitoy Land of the Jawas set available for sale here: http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30465

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Dorsetmark said:
So basically the Palitoy one is crap :wink:

Oh, completely!... It's just very expensive crap :D

As most here will doubtless know, all three of Palitoys downgrades of their Kenner counterparts suffer similar fates; the Cantina, Land of the Jawas and Droid Factory are all materially inferior to their Kenner equivalents... although with MUCH nicer packaging :D

Mind you, when it comes to the Death Star, I defy anyone to disagree with me when I say that the Palitoy effort kicks seven shades out of Kenner's, even though the Kenner one must have cost ten times as much to manufacture! :lol:

Ian_C

Jedi Master
andygo said:
Nice to see the Sears catalogue with the special offer Death Star :)

Even better, it has the Darth Vader Utility Belt. I had this one, my sister had a Leia, and a Luke was also produced. Lucasfilm made them pull those sets off the shelves, and they are now worth several Death Star's. ;) Unfortunately, both of our childhood sets were lost to time, as they were CHEAP and broke way too easily.

Ian

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
Mind you, when it comes to the Death Star, I defy anyone to disagree with me when I say that the Palitoy effort kicks seven shades out of Kenner's, even though the Kenner one must have cost ten times as much to manufacture! :lol:

I'll disagree with you mate! :lol:

I can't stand the Palitoy Death Star & think the Kenner version has a lot more features playability wise like the big gun,lift,rope swing (even though it's a bit naff) & the trash compactor with dianoga monster! 8)

To me,the Palitoy DS is just a glorified Cloud City Playset with a couple of X Wing Cannons on the top! :lol:

Mark

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
DarthStanley said:
Snaketibe said:

I'll disagree with you mate! :lol:

I can't stand the Palitoy Death Star & think the Kenner version has a lot more features playability wise like the big gun,lift,rope swing (even though it's a bit naff) & the trash compactor with dianoga monster! 8)

To me,the Palitoy DS is just a glorified Cloud City Playset with a couple of X Wing Cannons on the top! :lol:

Mark
Sacrilege! :D

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
For me growing up with the Kenner one and now owning the Palitoy one as an adult, I can say that I would have loved the Palitoy one far more back then. Yes Kenner put more money into the American one, but looking at the Palitoy one, I think it had more play value.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom