New retroline.......

Pomse2001

Grand Master
ChallengerFox said:
I assume the date stamp on them will say 2019 ? Hopefully

What about the weapons ? If they are identical to the old ones that's going to be another lot of repro flooding the market.

I think it would me illegal to write 1977 on them. So I am sure it would say 2019 :wink:

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
But I thought those 4 pack ones from 1995 had 1977 stamped on them ?

Let's just hope the weapons are a tiny bit different so people can tell the difference .

Can you imagine if they re-release black palace blasters or pop up lightsabers that are identical.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
ChallengerFox said:
I assume the date stamp on them will say 2019 ? Hopefully

What about the weapons ? If they are identical to the old ones that's going to be another lot of repro flooding the market.
Exactly. That is my concern as well. We are assuming that the date stamps on the legs will be different (although since the sculpts are from the 70's, and these are essentially reissues, that's not guaranteed), and if so, the figures themselves cannot be passed off as vintage originals. However the weapons and accessories are a very different matter. With vintage original Princess Leia capes and especially guns going for crazy money these days, unless the new accessory versions are indeed significantly different from the originals (and from the small pictures shown on the Target website they certainly don't appear to be), then it is as certain as Donald Trump spouting shite that they will be passed off as vintage originals and will fool an awful lot of collectors and, as indianawars put it, 'line the pockets of cunts'.

I must say, when the announcement of this line was made, I was actually quite excited, as I had assumed (naively, it seems), that Hasbro would be producing new, previously unmade figures like Grand Moff Tarkin in a vintage style. I would have been all over those! However, whilst Hasbro may yet still decide to do precisely that, it seems instead that all we are getting is official repros of existing vintage figures, which doesn't excite me in the least. I'm not bothered by them either however, and certainly don't object to them being made, providing that all parts are clearly distinguishable from their vintage counterparts, but sadly that seems unlikely.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
ChallengerFox said:
But I thought those 4 pack ones from 1995 had 1977 stamped on them ?

Let's just hope the weapons are a tiny bit different so people can tell the difference .

Can you imagine if they re-release black palace blasters or pop up lightsabers that are identical.

No they are stamped 1995 :wink:

see link https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-star-wars-earlybird-farmboy-1927541132

I think and hope there is a difference on the wapons, but again I think they will be hard to spot on bad pictures, they look like repro to me on the pictures https://intl.target.com/c/action-figures-playsets-toys/star-wars/-/N-5xt87Z5xz5m?type=products&lnk=StarWars&Nao=48

jayums

Jedi Master
I agree - look at the smuggler blaster for instance. I have the potf pack and those figures were different to the originals - the mould, stamp, peg shape and even the plastics were different in hand (and the smell!). They could be difficult to spot on eBay, but that train left the station a long time ago.

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
Not sure I like the look of the faded card back. What's the point in that when it doesn't even reflect the original card back!

I agree with others that the weapons could cause a serious headache to collectors. Fingers crossed they've added some differentiator.

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
I'm just glad I completed my loose run years ago, wouldn't like to be starting out now with all the repro about .

I think they've missed a trick here because of lot of collectors would have really got into figures that weren't released originally , eg...

Y Wing Pilot
Tarkin
Han Stormtrooper
Luke Dagobah
Slave Leia
Vader with removable helmet

Etc

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
lejackal said:
THESE FIGURES ARE NOT REPRO :!:

......But they will still be used by people to trick others into buying them believing they are the real thing, not much difference really.

Fair enough though if they are date stamped 2018/2019 I don't see a problem there.

indianawars

Sith Lord
ChallengerFox said:
I'm just glad I completed my loose run years ago, wouldn't like to be starting out now with all the repro about .

I think they've missed a trick here because of lot of collectors would have really got into figures that weren't released originally , eg...

Y Wing Pilot
Tarkin
Han Stormtrooper
Luke Dagobah
Slave Leia
Vader with removable helmet

Etc

We may still get those one day. Hasbro did/doing WWE Retro figures (That's WWF wrestling figures to you and me). They're releasing wrestlers that never made it into the classic line, but were very much wanted, and done in the same 90s style. Early days, but here's hoping.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
lejackal said:
Thanks Carl, exactly. 8)
I knew that these would split the community, It was inevitable.
These are like the "classic" Kenner four packs, they don't fool anyone that they are Vintage and I'm sure these won't either.
The weapons will at the very least be made of a different plastic so won't pass as Vintage?
Let the arguments begin.... :wink:
Each to their own, if you want to buy them the do, if you don't then don't.

Anyway these will fund my retirement, just like POTF2 was going to do when we couldn't get enough of those in the 90s!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

maxf

Jedi Master
A chap I'm friends with on FB hinted at this ages ago and just posted this, which I think is interesting...

Tan Tze Ing on FB said:
Gents, I've been sitting on this news for 6 months so now that it's finally out I can breathe better
And for those are are still hoping for Tarkins and what could have been? Well, I hate to tell you that when I hinted "Collect all 93" as a slogan, I really mean to say Hasbro's plan is to do all 93.

Again no details beyond the first wave but I reckon characters will be released on their debut cards.

If thats true, I can see the value of loose dropping a lot, except perhaps loose AFA/UKG etc

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
maxf said:
A chap I'm friends with on FB hinted at this ages ago and just posted this, which I think is interesting...

Tan Tze Ing on FB said:
Gents, I've been sitting on this news for 6 months so now that it's finally out I can breathe better
And for those are are still hoping for Tarkins and what could have been? Well, I hate to tell you that when I hinted "Collect all 93" as a slogan, I really mean to say Hasbro's plan is to do all 93.

Again no details beyond the first wave but I reckon characters will be released on their debut cards.

If thats true, I can see the value of loose dropping a lot, except perhaps loose AFA/UKG etc

Personally I think it will be the opposite and original vintage items will just increase in value.

Take Ferrari or any prestige car maker for example, they keep bringing out new ones and the cars from the 60's and 70's just keep increasing in value, that may be a bad example but i'm sure you can see my point, the original of anything will always be the most valuable.

I just hope capes and weapons etc will be distinguishable from the originals.

Any idea when they usually release more detailed images ? I'm not into modern so not familiar with how much they show you before the release date.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
lejackal said:
If Hasbro still have the original figure moulds and are using them for these new figures, then I would agree with you, because one could argue that the figures would be reissues. However, as I understand it, with the Classic figure 4-pack released in 1995 the 4 figures in that set were not made from the original moulds because (I believe I remember reading elsewhere) the original moulds were lost or destroyed. Instead, Hasbro made new moulds from casts of vintage figures (see http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2classicedition4pack.asp and https://www.imperialgunnery.com/rebelblasters.htm). There was some shrinkage involved in the process of making those new moulds and or the figures from those new moulds, which is why the Classic 4 pack figures are slightly smaller than vintage originals:

Classic Vintage Comparison.jpg

So with the Classic figure 4-pack, Hasbro themselves unquestionably made their own reproductions of the original 4 figures, since the original vintage figure moulds were not used.

With these new 2019 figures, unless Hasbro have turned up the original vintage moulds (and perhaps these have been found; who's to say at this point?) and are using them to produce the new figures, then they will either have to painstakingly make new copycat moulds, or more likely, do what they did before with the Classic 4 pack figures and make new moulds cast from vintage figures. And if they do that, then with respect, the new figures will absolutely be reproductions (albeit ones made by the only company with a perfect right to do so), and not reissues.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Richard_H said:
I think the weapons will have that same rubbery feel that the new Disney era figures have.

These aren't repro - they own the licence!
I think that depends on your definition of 'repro'. In my post above, I point out that Hasbro have already made reproductions of their own (alright, Kenner's) vintage figures because the original moulds were not used. The Classic 4-pack figures are shorter than vintage originals, and so whilst very similar to vintage originals, the 4-pack figures are definitely reproductions of them.

Hasbro absolutely owns the licence and can absolutely manufacture these new 2019 figures legitimately, but that doesn't stop those new figures being reproductions of the original figures.

grinchy

Sith Lord
They look good, and for a change the retail price of 10 to fifteen pounds each is not that bad, I thought there would be a premium on them, hope to see more

lejackal

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
lejackal said:
If Hasbro still have the original figure moulds and are using them for these new figures, then I would agree with you, because one could argue that the figures would be reissues. However, as I understand it, with the Classic figure 4-pack released in 1995 the 4 figures in that set were not made from the original moulds because (I believe I remember reading elsewhere) the original moulds were lost or destroyed. Instead, Hasbro made new moulds from casts of vintage figures (see http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2classicedition4pack.asp and https://www.imperialgunnery.com/rebelblasters.htm). There was some shrinkage involved in the process of making those new moulds and or the figures from those new moulds, which is why the Classic 4 pack figures are slightly smaller than vintage originals:

Classic Vintage Comparison.jpg
So with the Classic figure 4-pack, Hasbro themselves unquestionably made their own reproductions of the original 4 figures, since the original vintage figure moulds were not used.

With these new 2019 figures, unless Hasbro have turned up the original vintage moulds (and perhaps these have been found; who's to say at this point?) and are using them to produce the new figures, then they will either have to painstakingly make new copycat moulds, or more likely, do what they did before with the Classic 4 pack figures and make new moulds cast from vintage figures. And if they do that, then with respect, the new figures will absolutely be reproductions (albeit ones made by the only company with a perfect right to do so), and not reissues.
Using your definition of repro then the very first reproduction Star Wars figures were manufactured by Kenner the second they made new moulds for a batch other than the early bird figures.
I mean these are not repro as in they are not made as direct copies of the originals by a third party with the intent of profiteering from and or deceiving collectors.
We should be far more concerned about the guy pumping out floating repro weapons, who, if you agree to buy a thousand, will allow you to choose which vintage weapon he copies next.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom