Palitoy landfill

roundster

Jedi Master
Supporter
Best use of archaeological survey equipment ever Spoons!!

I'm in, pretty sure my 24 year old Archaeology A-Level will prove invaluable in this search!!

spoons

Grand Master
roundster said:
Best use of archaeological survey equipment ever Spoons!!

I'm in, pretty sure my 24 year old Archaeology A-Level will prove invaluable in this search!!

Excellent Roundster, reckon that is you in charge then :D

subzero

Sith Lord
I'm amazed at how paper still hasn't degraded after all those years/decades underground, when it comes to the E.T. Atari game landfill that was recently unearthed sure a lot of the papers and card boxes were very crushed but not degraded, but that was in a dry desert with not much rain. So I always assumed that anything of paper or card for that long underground in THIS country, with so much rainwater seeping into the ground that surely it would have easily broken down after this long, but obviously not and that surprises me.

This will be an amazing find of biblical proportions if this gets unearthed, it would be an exciting thing to witness!

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
subzero said:
I'm amazed at how paper still hasn't degraded after all those years/decades underground, when it comes to the E.T. Atari game landfill that was recently unearthed sure a lot of the papers and card boxes were very crushed but not degraded, but that was in a dry desert with not much rain. So I always assumed that anything of paper or card for that long underground in THIS country, with so much rainwater seeping into the ground that surely it would have easily broken down after this long, but obviously not and that surprises me.

This will be an amazing find of biblical proportions if this gets unearthed, it would be an exciting thing to witness!

I think it was because they seal the land fill over with clay which is is not pourous. It's like at Glastonbury festival when it rains, it floods, the water just sits there as the soil full of clay. Maybe an expert could explain it better, I'm guessing. The BBC4 programme is worth watching, it's facinating and terrifying at the same time.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Darth Bobby said:
I think it was because they seal the land fill over with clay which is is not pourous.

That's correct, landfills have a clay capping later to stop groundwater getting in and washing out any nasty chemicals in to the water table.

I'm personally hoping they pull bucket loads of grey limbed hoth troppers out of the ground and I can finally get my hands on one.

mattholt76

Youngling
Watched the BBC4 documentary and it was very interesting and encouraging for this documentary from a lot of what has been said here.
I thought because it's not Arizona a lot of deterioration would have occurred especially in paper.
There is a chance that figures or weapons were bagged maybe?

The other interesting take away for me is that it looks likely that many Landfills will be dug up in the future as its easier
than looking for new sources of metals etc.... which means the Palitoy stuff might surface someday without looking for it... unless
development on top of it like the HS2 seals it off for a few hundred years :-D

The other good news is I read the Star Wars Exhibition at New Walk has already had 30,000 visitors which is more than the Leicester City Football exhibition of 2016.
So interest for the toys may grow and Matt Fox's little nod to the Myth might help build an audience for this film and possible
crowd funding

subzero

Sith Lord
Darth Bobby said:
subzero said:

I think it was because they seal the land fill over with clay which is is not pourous. It's like at Glastonbury festival when it rains, it floods, the water just sits there as the soil full of clay. Maybe an expert could explain it better, I'm guessing. The BBC4 programme is worth watching, it's facinating and terrifying at the same time.

Ah that explains that then, I always pictured them just pouring buckets of dirt all over it and compacting it down.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
mattholt76 said:
The other good news is I read the Star Wars Exhibition at New Walk has already had 30,000 visitors which is more than the Leicester City Football exhibition of 2016.

Ha! Leicester City winning the Premier League is insignificant next to the power of the force!

mattholt76

Youngling
quick update...

We filmed Andy on Tuesday with his knowledge on Archeology & the challenges of such a dig. Thursday we interviewed Kayleigh at Astons Auctions
about the current state of the vintage toy market and the kind of prices things go for & the normal places they are found... so big thanks to Andy & Kayleigh.

Laurence seems to have gone "underground" * and I've not had an email or private message since his last post, maybe he's digging as we speak. Either way
it would be great to hear from him and other collectors that would like to feature in the doc & comment on the myth. We are planning on doing a follow up
with Matt Fox reflecting on the success of May The Toys Be With You. Another thing we would like to feature is the makeup of the Palitoy plastic, how it stands up
to the ravages of time especially in "the pit". We are also looking to interview Palitoy employee's, we have a few through family contacts (I knew my Gran worked there but only just found out my Mum did too... only Action Man im afraid much earlier)

You can see examples of our other documentary work on our Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mglmedia

we'll keep you posted on developments, have a great weekend

Matt

*excuse the pun

spoons

Grand Master
Matt is was great meeting you and Wayne, and it would be great to have everyone working together on this.

If the landowner(s) ever do grant permission I think this would make a great community project for Star Wars collectors and locals.

mattholt76

Youngling
Hi Guys,

We have put together a trailer from the few weeks of stuff we've filmed so far. This also gives our film a bit of credibility
and stops us from having to explain it all longhand! Also I hope it conveys the tone as we are making this to be an entertaining
documentary:

https://youtu.be/blyORNY9H78

Thanks to all those who have given their time so far. We still have some more interviews lined up from parties outside the forum but if anyone
wants to contribute an interview, anecdote or thinks you might have anything related to the myth that might make an interesting subplot please get in
touch.

all the best

Matt
[email protected]

Plastikheld

Jedi Knight
Trailer looking great so far. That's going to be fun.
Wish you could take it to the maximum suspense and start digging ... as cliffhanger for part 2.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
:lol: Very good, nice pun Jason, 'Its a story that surfaces every phew years.' :lol:

More exciting than the Episode 9 trailer is gooing to be probably. :)

Palifan

Sith Lord
Great trailer and really looking forward to seeing this once it's completed, congrats to all involved! :D

Ian

mattholt76

Youngling
BBC Inside out, a local East Midlands documentary news programme, is featuring landfill mining tonight
...that's the 2nd film on this in the last 3 months.
Seems highly probable that these landfills will be dug
up at some point anyway which may help our film.

We are off filming in Wales next with an 80's TV presenter :-D

Matt

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom