Reasons You collect

chrisfnx

Jedi Knight
Im much the same, nostalgia really. Wanted to complete a full set, had some of my childhood figures in the loft, then it just grew from there really! Although not really collecting now, do find the odd bit at carboots. I found some of the star wars letraset sets a few years ago, still sealed. I was well pleased.

Mr. Tie

Jedi Knight
A couple of years after my mom died, I had the need of somehow 'relive' my childhood. Collecting the new stuff didn't do the trick for me, so I first started collecting loose vintage figures. I bought a couple of cheap darth vader cases including loose figures with weapons. I remember this particular case that smelled like vintage, this plastic odor that somehow reminded me of the past. Sounds weird, I know....

Later on I started to collect some vintage figures on cards, really nice cards regarding the low amount I had paid for them. But collecting can make one greedy, so I bought every thing that I really liked from the past, but never had a change as a kid to get from my parents.

Over the years I became more selective in collecting. And now I think it is time to come to a focus on collecting. Don't know if my vintage collection will be worth anything after part 9, but I don't really care about that. It is more the fun of collecting and own a piece of toy history that does the trick for me.

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
For me it's reliving my childhood I suppose. Never had more than a few figures when I was a kid (Vader, Hammerhead) and my parents couldn't really afford the ships/playsets so I've started collecting.

It's always nice to show what you have to other collectors as there may be something you've not seen before (until I came on this forum the Blue Snag/Yak Face figures were unknown to me)

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
Definitely nostalgia for me , have collected since the late 1970's . However now for me i appreciate the artistic side and design ,

Just looking at it does bring you back to a simpler time :D

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Gives me a focus, love of thrill of searching at Carboots, table tops, collectors fair etc. Able to pass on info to people and good conversation topic when at conventions etc.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Just need to pick up my darth Vader and smell his cape, bang it's 1977 :D
Collecting is a little oasis where I can sit back, look at what I have and smile, it gives me a feel good factor.
I love the different things you learn as you go along, coo s, variants, etc etc. I also collect with my son, so we have a joint collection as well, love the fact we have something we can collect, discuss and talk about.
Love the forum and the great guys on here as well, discussion, debate, and the laughs.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Definitely still the nostalgia. But I was thinking about this today and realised that sometimes the nostalgia it gives me is not always to do with childhood. It also reminds me of when I first started getting interested in Star Wars again while at Uni or of when I used to hit the card boot sales in the early 90's. So in a sense I have nostalgia and nostalgia about the nostalgia...which is kinda strange.

In addition there is the thrill of the hunt, the enjoyment of limelighting, the sense of achievement, the joy of displaying and the visual pleasure things bring when displayed.

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Much the same as previous answers, nostalgia. They remind me a the happiest time in my childhood especially ROTJ. As an adult it's not my favourite film but it certainly holds the fondest memories, seeing the film with my mum and the Chistmas that followed getting the toys is always the most vivid memory for me. Just a special time and one I hope will be replicated somewhat when I take my eldest to see TFA next week.

Because I loved them as a child and looking at them today they are cheaper and more eye appealing than a Picasso . I also enjoy buying the moc I could never find or afford as a child . As an investment , I don't think so in future they will deteriorate and only our generation in our forties with disposable income will dish out the money that is currently spent now , in future I doubt that will happen , in thirty years there will be no one attempting to relive their childhood with Star Wars .

Hooch

Jedi Knight
For me like many others have said its about reliving my childhood in a way
I lost all my childhood collection when the ex-misses decided one way to piss me off would be throwing them all away
Currently I am only 3 moc's short of what I want to do. I can easily buy them most weeks, only one is a bit more difficult but stuff if I am paying $150US + postage on FB for a Rotj C3PO when I can hold out, get one more locally hopefully and use the savings on something else I need
Taking my time, enjoy the bargain hunt has worked so far so why change

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom