Rebelscum going pay per view

plantman

Sith Lord
Really bad idea to start a paid membership, with the way facebook is going knowledge/sales can be sourced anytime for free.

Maybe doing paid competitions / raffles, people nowadays dont want to pay out for social networking, that will be the end of RS for sure im 100% on that.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
mr_palitoy said:
In terms of what they could charge for:-

1) Using the classifieds. This would just kill it off imo.

2) Looking at the historical archive. This is the only thing of value on RS. Would you pay to see old threads? I fear a big chunk of collecting history would just become unaccessible.

Jason

Agreed :)

Thing is that it is us collectors who have built up the history. RS certainly isnt THE archive in anyway. There is plenty of archival material outside of RS.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:
Perhaps they have something big in store, to compete with FB.

Perhaps a limited edition PW action figure :roll:

One thing is for sure, im regretting all the time that RS was my first port of call each day, i should have been here on SWFUK. The one thing that really irks me is that they think they 'own' my photos etc and that really makes my teeth itch. Anyone who thinks that PW doesnt earn a HELL of a lot of money from RS is mistaken. I can guarantee you he does...

Ian_C

Jedi Master
_Lee_ said:
Perhaps a limited edition PW action figure :roll:

I thought that's what this was Lee.

header.jpg

Ian

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
Grant_C said:

This ^^^. It has to be this.

I first connected with the community through RS after collecting alone for a while, so I have a liking for the place even if I am involved with several Facebook groups. So I hope for them that it works out ok.

But if their pay to play regime is for something that's currently free, then it's a terrible idea that is the death knell of the site. But Wise's announcement clearly says that it would be for ENHANCEMENTS, so it seems as though it will be something new.

Maybe an online price guide updated in real time? Maybe some new way to help catalog your collection? Maybe some new way to access information or interact with fellow collectors no one has thought of before?

Again, if it's something stupid like a bigger mailbox or more memory for posting pics, thanks but no thanks. But I'm hopeful!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
The way I read it I assumed it would be new features that you would have to pay to access. I could be wrong.

olisuds

Sith Lord
Rebelscum got me serious about collecting; It was how i met most of my collecting friends; It has been the best resource for me to learn about the different areas of collecting and I've been a strong supporter of Rebelscum in forum v facebook discussions. I still feel that the forums particularly Rebelscum is where the "learning" and true discussion is (or was) and that it's a very valuable resource that is so easy to search via google across all the forum subsections at once. Quite honestly though the last month or so has been a turning point for me with rebelscum. The dwindling number of people posting there (especially in the classifieds); the malware issue that infected my laptop; the continual errors and problems with logging on, photos, notifications and features. Now the proposal to charge a "moderate" amount for certain features has me worried. Don't get me wrong, I'm not averse to paying for something if I feel it adds something unique and I enjoy the user experience. But I can't possibly fathom what they could offer that other platforms such as facebook aren't doing already for free. We will see, but I hope they get it right otherwise this could really be the nail in the coffin.

olisuds

Sith Lord
mr_palitoy said:
In terms of what they could charge for:-

1) Using the classifieds. This would just kill it off imo.

2) Looking at the historical archive. This is the only thing of value on RS. Would you pay to see old threads? I fear a big chunk of collecting history would just become unaccessible.

Jason

Number 2) is exactly what I was thinking Jason. I hope it won't be because it will be detrimental to Rebelscum if they make it harder to access the history.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Oli's list is bang on with recent issues weighing heavy on RS. There was issues over picture ownership that pissed a load of people off. I hope all that incredible history isn't lost.

I also found that new posters were often destroyed by righteous resident posters. A sure way to kill a forum.

RifleSmile

Jedi Knight
Ross_Barr said:
Grant_C said:

This ^^^. It has to be this.

I first connected with the community through RS after collecting alone for a while, so I have a liking for the place even if I am involved with several Facebook groups. So I hope for them that it works out ok.

But if their pay to play regime is for something that's currently free, then it's a terrible idea that is the death knell of the site. But Wise's announcement clearly says that it would be for ENHANCEMENTS, so it seems as though it will be something new.

Maybe an online price guide updated in real time? Maybe some new way to help catalog your collection? Maybe some new way to access information or interact with fellow collectors no one has thought of before?

Again, if it's something stupid like a bigger mailbox or more memory for posting pics, thanks but no thanks. But I'm hopeful!

I don't use the site as like many I never liked the layout etc.

What I would say is that if they can find a way to offer a price guide updated in real time that also factors in pricing by grade numbers etc - I would consider it. But at the same time they would need to find a way to collate FB sales too

Jez

Sith Lord
A long time ago in a Galaxy Far Far away....
...Rebel Scum had the edge.

They appear to have lost it. This is too little too late. With free forums, free Facebook, free podcasts, free panels at FF etc i really don't have enough time or need in my life for a Pay Per View Forum.

It would be awesome to see them pull a Dewback out of the hat, but at the moment it looks more like a Swamp rat.
I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Joe

Grand Master
Don't forget that RS isn't just a Vintage forum guys, they've got over 32 thousand members and active sections for modern, props, customising, autographs, posters..you name it. I don't think it's worth getting your hopes up for things like price guides or whatever else..in fact I would be surprised if any of the upgrades/enhancements will be geared towards the Vintage collectors at all.

I would imagine it will probably just be extra storage (for pics etc) and perhaps movies/other files or it might even be like a membership/fan club thing that gives members early access to purchase event tickets or collectable items or something (maybe they'll team up with certain companies like GG to offer paying RS members first shot at new products etc).

I think it's unlikely that any of the stuff we've always been able to do for free on RS will suddenly be off limits unless you pay, just that they'll give you an option to do so if you like whatever the enhancements are.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
I think all of this talk makes us all really appreciate what we get for free here , with easy to use facilities and no advert banners which is a luxury nowadays

RifleSmile

Jedi Knight
bosk70 said:
I think all of this talk makes us all really appreciate what we get for free here , with easy to use facilities and no advert banners which is a luxury nowadays

^totally agree.

jared007

Padawan
Very curious move by RS, I'll be interested to find out what the details are when they emerge.

bobbybobs

Padawan
Pretty worrying development. I love RS so I really hope they are about to pull a rabbit out of a hat. They definitely need to do something drastic if they are going to stay relevant.

This whole money goes to charity at least for the first year is a bit of a worry too. What happens in the second year?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Joe said:
Don't forget that RS isn't just a Vintage forum guys, they've got over 32 thousand members and active sections for modern, props, customising, autographs, posters..you name it. I don't think it's worth getting your hopes up for things like price guides or whatever else..in fact I would be surprised if any of the upgrades/enhancements will be geared towards the Vintage collectors at all.

Yep, Joe has got it bang on. Many of us think RS is a vintage forum - it is not. Take a look at the home page:

http://rebelscum.com

It's all Hasbro, props, statues, Lego etc. There's nothing vintage on there at all. RS has always been a "catch-all" Star Wars collecting website, which is why it has become so big. I'd hazard a guess the content on the vintage forum is the least of their worries.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom