Restoring a vehicle/playset box

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
Hello people,

Does anyone know how to restore a warped box without damaging it in any way?

I have heard people say that ironing is an option. Are there guidelines on how to do that?

Thanks!

**Delboy75**

Jedi Master
I've ironed capes before now.
I suppose it "could" work with card.

Just place something between the iron and the card, like a thin towel.
Capes come out as good as new, just don't leave the iron in one place too long.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Capetown said:
Hello people,

Does anyone know how to restore a warped box without damaging it in any way?

I have heard people say that ironing is an option. Are there guidelines on how to do that?

Thanks!

Saturate the interior of the box with spray starch, then lye the box flat and place books or other heavy objects on top of the box flat. alow this set up for a day before reassembling the box. If you can not break the box down just place books in side the box to square it off after you have applied the spray starch, then lye the box on its side and place books or heavy objects on top of it. I have done this with several warped boxes and they always come out fine.

av6

Jedi Knight
If at all possible iron the box from the inside. Don't have the iron TOO hot, and don't leave it in one place for TOO long. I recommend you place a tea towel in between the iron, and the box. Start the iron at it's coolest. Gradually turning up the heat. Then it's just trial and error, until you think the iron is hot enough to repair the damage, but cool enough not to burn the box.
Using an iron CAN be just the trick for repairs!!!

Do keep in mind though, overuse of the same method CAN be just the trick for the cause of even more damage... BE CAUTIOUS!!!

spoons

Grand Master
I'm going to have a go at ironing a TIE int box - I'll let you know how it goes....

spoons

Grand Master
here's a before and a couple of after shots.

I scorched the box a tiny bit in places, but if you set your iron to 'Nylon' and two dots on the steam everything is fine - As long as you're quick and use a tea towel

The TIE box is knackered so I wasn't too worried, but I did flatten out the ends on a Taun Taun box and a tri-Rebo box with no damage :)

TIEIntunironed.jpg

TIEInt7.jpg

TIEInt9.jpg

spoons

Grand Master
I still need to replace it, I bought it a while back because it came with unapplied stickers, inserts and a minty TIE - unfortunately the box had got squashed in the guys loft.

But I can store it better now :)

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Not sure I'd be brave enough to try it!
That and I'm still not sure what an "Iron" is! :lol:

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
I ironed it. Didn't have to be too careful because it was a beater box, so I could experiment a little. It went pretty well. I didn't damage the box (further) even when I turned the iron a bit hotter and held it a bit longer onto the towel. The box got pretty hot, but no burning. I also experimented with putting a very heavy book onto a part of the box I had just ironed. That produced good results I thought. Made it flatter.

But, as they say, I'm a trained professional, so don't try this at home. :mrgreen:

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
tiefighterboy said:
Saturate the interior of the box with spray starch, then lye the box flat and place books or other heavy objects on top of the box flat. alow this set up for a day before reassembling the box. If you can not break the box down just place books in side the box to square it off after you have applied the spray starch, then lye the box on its side and place books or heavy objects on top of it. I have done this with several warped boxes and they always come out fine.

I tried this method on my crappy Y Wing box that was warped & its now flat as a pancake!

Problem is i used so much starch it has stuck together & i'm struggling to prise it apart without damaging it! :lol:

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
Probably should have placed a books inside it as well. This methods has worked for me every time and the starch seems to add strength to the box. Lightly steaming the box may release the problem your having.

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
Cheers Todd,i'll run an iron over it with a pillowcase on top of the box & release the odd jet of steam.That should sort it out!

Its my own fault really,i went mental with the starch & used too much! :oops:It really works though,the box is flat as ****! :D

If you use the Iron to flatten the box , iv got another tip you dont have to uses books that takes to long another great tip for boxes it to use a hair dryer on full heat flatten the parts you need to then once its flat enough put on the cold setting and hot it into shape till it cools you will have to do this 3 or 4 times till you get the desired effect but it works I did this on an old kenner Blythe doll box .
the iron can remove some color or bend the card at an unusual angle .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom