Scent of a vintage Star Wars figure

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
Hi everybody,

For me, collecting Star Wars figures is forever connected to their scent. Whenever I get a whiff of it from something else that has a similar scent, I am instantly transported to my youth.

Since about a year I am collecting again, but I find the experience not as good as it could be because the 'vintage' scent is mostly gone after all these years.

I guess the only way to recapture that is to open sealed cards, but to me that feels like sacrilege.

Does anyone here have the same experience?

gustie

Sith Lord
all my figures are loose and in a big plastic box, everytime i open it i get that kenner whiff, which is like you say quite nostalgic!

i have a fruity smelling TFP too :)

Ryaller

Padawan
You're kidding me? I had one of those 'fruity' smelling Tie-Fighter Pilots when I was young too. I was really disappointed that my new one didn't have the same smell. What was the deal with the smell?

gustie

Sith Lord
hahah

i was told that the strawberry shortcake figures where made in the same factory and some of the scented plastic ended up in the TFP molds

some of the palitoy ones smell of strawberry
some china COO ones smell of blackcurrants

strange :)

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
gustie said:
hahah

i was told that the strawberry shortcake figures where made in the same factory and some of the scented plastic ended up in the TFP molds

some of the palitoy ones smell of strawberry
some china COO ones smell of blackcurrants

strange :)

Do you like the smell of a Tie Fighter Pilot in the morning?

burnsy

Sith Lord
OK reality check...nothing smells better than fresh *****, napalm is bad for you, and Jabba you are no way ****ing normal.

gustie

Sith Lord
jabbawokkie said:
i opened a tie pilot and it doesnt smell off blackcurrant ,or maybe i,m just normal :wink: :lol: :lol:

no not normal but not the same variant either

im sure u said before you smelt a fruity one tho!!

im gunna have to do a search now!

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hi everybody,

For me, collecting Star Wars figures is forever connected to their scent. Whenever I get a whiff of it from something else that has a similar scent, I am instantly transported to my youth.

Since about a year I am collecting again, but I find the experience not as good as it could be because the 'vintage' scent is mostly gone after all these years.

I guess the only way to recapture that is to open sealed cards, but to me that feels like sacrilege.

Does anyone here have the same experience?
I found this old thread from you from 2008. Has anything changed or do you still feel the same as you did in 2008 ?

I remember the smell from opening darth vader on a moc, the smell was very special :)

Dad of Luke

Padawan
I had/still have my Palitoy Tie Fighter Pilot from back in the day, and he smelt sweet and a bit like strawberries when I got him, and I can still catch the feintest whiff of it to this day. None of my other figures smelled of anything but plastic.

sith-smith

Grand Master
My display room has very little ventilation and I keep the door shut most of the time. Consequently whenever I walk in a get the vintage smell of the boxes and loose figures. Smell is definitely a strong sense for provoking memories!

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I agree

Vader rugose cape has a distinctive smell

at a very early age on my first day at infant school there were workmen tarmacing the road, so now when I smell tarmac I'm five years old again , definitely the scent of vintage if bottled would make a rich man 😄

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
I found this old thread from you from 2008. Has anything changed or do you still feel the same as you did in 2008 ?

I remember the smell from opening darth vader on a moc, the smell was very special :)
I sure do Lars.

To me as well the DV cape had the most distinctive scent. The same scent I remember the hose of the tripod laser cannon used to have. I'm told this was because of the softeners in the plastic. I'm forever in search of that scent.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
My display room has very little ventilation and I keep the door shut most of the time. Consequently whenever I walk in a get the vintage smell of the boxes and loose figures. Smell is definitely a strong sense for provoking memories!

Mine's the same!

Bought some vintage style Action Force vinyl stickers from Mark Daniels a while back and they smell exactly like the old figures 😀 Really brought back those memories of a freshly opened figure.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I sure do Lars.

To me as well the DV cape had the most distinctive scent. The same scent I remember the hose of the tripod laser cannon used to have. I'm told this was because of the softeners in the plastic. I'm forever in search of that scent.
Well I guess you can only get it if you open a moc, but I would never open a moc, there are so few left of them, no need to open more of them.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I had/still have my Palitoy Tie Fighter Pilot from back in the day, and he smelt sweet and a bit like strawberries when I got him, and I can still catch the feintest whiff of it to this day. None of my other figures smelled of anything but plastic.
I heard the same from my brother he got a tie fighter pilot when he was a kid and he still remember the special smell. When he was to old to play with it I got it. Did you not have vader ? I had 2 and they both also had a special smell :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Mine's the same!

Bought some vintage style Action Force vinyl stickers from Mark Daniels a while back and they smell exactly like the old figures 😀 Really brought back those memories of a freshly opened figure.
Nice now we all need to have some :cool: until michael produce the bottle with the smell ;) :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Top Bottom