Shops selling vintage in the 90's

x-pack

Grand Master
scooternick said:
That's a lot of sweet scores. I wish i'd had the balls to ask if I could do a sweep of shop stock rooms!
SublevelStudios said:
I had loads of scores BITD from shops here and abroad.

I recall a holiday early 90's with my parents, a cruise and one port of call was a small Italian island. There must have been 7 shops in total there, and one was a toy shop - full of Matchbox Robotech stuff, Dinky and Corgi cars, He Man...no SW stuff here but I came away with a pristine boxed Dinky Klingon Cruiser, MOC Amy A Allen A Team figure and a handful of boxed Dinky cars.

On the same trip we stopped somewhere on the Spanish coast and I walked into a little gift shop, at the back was a small room with toys, including a HUGE original He Man shop display stocked to the rafters with MOC figures and vehicles. At the time He Man wasn't really that sought after so I left it but I did find a mint Spanish SW paint set which ended up in Jim Stevensons collection after I sold it to him.

Again, the same trip, another Spanish gift shop with an upstairs toy dept stocked almost exclusively with Geyper Man stuff! I almost filled a suitcase with what my dad called 'more crap'.

Shops around Stoke always had stuff if you looked hard enough, I'd stripped several shops of old stock when I used to trade. Got a call once from a shop owner who had several huge boxes of carded figures he wanted to shift - loads of last 17, tri logos, a real mix of stuff. I remember going through each box with my hands shaking! :D

Our local John Menzies used to be a little gold mine for stuff when they had sales, loads of old shop stock for pennies. The a toy shop in Burslem called Pleasure Treasures, a friend asked him if he had anything and he told us to come back in a week so he could sort some stuff out. We went back and went down to the cellar and were confronted with box after box after box of SW stuff - no carded figures but a huge bag of loose ones. We filled the car.

Those were the days...

That was what it was all about back then. Some good scouring there Mark :)

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
x-pack said:
Do you remember Thunderbooks in Preston and Blackpool? I got loads from there. Happy days :)

I remember the one in Blackpool very well - was our first port of call every time we went, then the pub...

That's what is missing these days, good old fashioned comic book shops, not Forbidden Planet. There's no character or soul in those shops. The small indie's had a vibe, somewhere you could spend hours in and not get bored.

If I win the lottery, the first thing I'm going to do after I pay the mortgage off is open a little comic book shop :)

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
I loved our local comic shops in the middle 80's early 90's being a 2000ad nut as well, no geek sheik back then all my mates thought I was a bit strange disappearing into comic shops mid pub crawl, where ever we were, but I never gave a %$£$ and still don't now. Used to get the odd sw in there as well, was there once when a kid came in late 80's selling his brothers sw 12" dolls , sold one to the shop owner cheap. Outside I tried to buy the rest he had at home but he only wanted to sell to the shop not fair :cry: :lol: :lol: had the ump for at least a day :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom