THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 53 LAUNCHED

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
palitoyjunky said:
As many of u know I go for sealed/unused playsets and was fortunate to get an unused Palitoy Dagobah playset years ago. Luckily the original foam has more or less remained untouched and intact 8) 8)
E5B1D44B-0042-4233-B4B1-7B9686492E7F.jpeg

I was just thinking about that while listening to the Dagobah chat. :D

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Only half an hour in but it's just what the (SW) Dr ordered - I've definitely been on a bit of a SW dip this last year and was just at the point of asking the best way to put various vintage pieces in storage for safe keeping but listening to everyone's wise words has got me thinking about what I love about SW collecting and a HUGE part of it is the community (especially on here) made some great friendships on here all be it all online. Was thinking about tracking down some R2's for my focus to get me back on track but I think I'm going to prioritise meeting some of you cool people next year. So I'll make the trip down from Scotland in 2019 and fingers crossed you'll understand my funny accent :D So what's my best option Echo or FF? Put some faces to names, shakes a few hands and buy a few pints

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
db94 said:
So what's my best option Echo or FF? Put some faces to names, shakes a few hands and buy a few pints

If it's meeting people get down to FF and do the saturday evening, such a laid back affair and great to chat to people, plus the Sunday is just full of vintage produce everywhere can't go wrong. Saying that Echo is very good too but more about the purchases.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Just finished your latest offering, and a corker it was too, thank you for filling my void! :shock:
Jez was right, the show was packed with double entendre, at first I thought it was just me!

I'm too am disappointed Simon has decided to part ways, but understandable with what he's now taken on!
I will miss his take on "market watch", I really believe that he made that segment his own, and he made it a part of the show that I always looked forwad to.
Thanks and good luck with your business. :D

I also thought that the interview with David Phillips was bery intresting, it gave a new insight into collecting in far flung places and the segment on the Dagobah playset which I have never owned was enlightening.
The Chris Fawcett interview was eye opening in regards to the early day scam, and for once :wink: I can see Richard's point of view in that the scamer was very clever in how he presented the items for sale...but he is still a scum bag scammer!

Good of Jez to pop in, and out for this show again, good effort and good roving reporter segment from Steve at Echo.
Can't wait for your next offering.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
fingers crossed you'll understand my funny accent
Richard normally has a translator come with him, might be an idea? :? :wink:
You won't go far wrong with FF.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Mini99 said:
The Chris Fawcett interview was eye opening in regards to the early day scam, and for once :wink: I can see Richard's point of view in that the scamer was very clever in how he presented the items for sale...but he is still a scum bag scammer!

Ren Hoeck is a great story, I notice Chris mentioned the name of the person that cashed the cheques in the interview, I wonder if anyone has tried looking them up on Facebook etc? Much easier now than it would have been 20 years ago.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Another classy edition from the forum boys and as so many have mentioned it's a shame to hear Simon will no longer be a regular but hopefully he'll get the chance to drop in every now and then.

I really enjoyed the David Phillips interview and have a couple of old friends who also work at Weta so it was nice to hear about his background and I can hear from his voice that he's really embraced the Kiwi accent!

I've said it before but this really is a listening highlight for me each month and fits in really well with the other SW related podcasts I listen to (Toyrun and RFR). I feel from all 3 of these podcasts I get an all round SW hit each month with the new, old and current things going on in the SW toy and entertainment world. The nice thing about the Vintage Rebellion though is that you never know what you're going to get from month to month and there's always something new to learn from it.

One last thing is that I have one of those Yoda snap fix model kits so drop me a line Pete if you are looking for one and I'll send you some pictures.

Ian

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Mini99 said:

Ren Hoeck is a great story, I notice Chris mentioned the name of the person that cashed the cheques in the interview, I wonder if anyone has tried looking them up on Facebook etc? Much easier now than it would have been 20 years ago.

When this happened I wasn't collecting so had never heard this before, very interesting tale.
At the end of the day he'd done nothing wrong, except "bend the truth"!
I can see how collectors were caught out and feel for everyone that was, the only saving grace is that this type of scam would be very difficult to do now.
I wondered if anyone had tried to find him, but what could be done now so long after the event?

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks to all who have mentioned their disappointment in my departure from TVR. An even bigger thanks to those who will be glad I've left but haven't said it :D

It's been an amazing trip and something I've been really proud to be a part of. No matter how much Stu says it here it's far more work than can be imagined and as I said I need to concentrate on the really dull things in life like earning a living. My departure was timely as I've only become even more insanely busy than I was since leaving.

Anyway, like a bad smell I intend to hang around with the assembled monstrosity that is the TVR team, on the forum and at any place that assembled geeks talk rubbish about space dollies. I hope as the pressures of life ease up a bit I'll be able to make an occasional fleeting return to TVR, if only to remind the rest of them just how lucky they are that I've gone.

x

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Clever bastard but none the less a total utter bastard for purposely misleading collectors :!:

Being "economical with the truth" is an understatement here :evil:

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Was just in a charity shop and remembered the section from this months podcast. I didn't know that the staff were fully clued up on collectables etc, that would explain why I NEVER find any vintage, no matter how many visits I make. I did wonder if by working in a charity shop you would get first dabs on the Vintage although I'm not sure if the wages would be very good. It would make everyday at work quite exiting though.

Great episode as ever. Gutted to hear Simon is off, you should try and talk him into doing a quarterly Auction round up. Really enjoyed the auction section.

Totally agree that there's too much negativity around at the moment. I try not to get involved. It's all just meant to be fun surely.

David Phillips New Zealand find sounded amazing. A wild find like that is a dream come true. Very interesting interview.

Well done everyone. Looking forward to the next one.

Palifan

Sith Lord
My son put this together for me to take a quick few snaps. All complete as well which is a bonus!

Ian

Attachments

• IMG_1540.jpg
    IMG_1540.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,024
  • IMG_1539.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,024
  • IMG_1538.jpg
    IMG_1538.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 1,024
  • IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,024
  • IMG_1536.jpg
    IMG_1536.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,022
  • IMG_1535.jpg
    IMG_1535.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,025

Kiwi-Dave

Youngling
Hi folks

David phillips here. First post on this forum aI wanted to say thanks for all the kind words about the interview.
Big thanks too goes to mr skinner and Rich for hosting me.
I really enjoyed doing the interview and sharing some stories.
I have to say this forum thing is new to me.
At least from Star Wars perspective.
To be honest I rarely get the time to be active enough on any forum. Hence not been seen around the blocks so to speak :D

I'm
Hoping this post my be the first many and a good place to share my collection, gain more knowledge and meet new folks .
After all , that's what it's about.

I guess being allnthe way over here in New Zealand and working silly hours in the film industry all add to being a "black hole " collector

Anyway. Thanks again VR crew and to those who have messaged me on fb and written here.

I look forward to meeting more of you , digitally at least :D

Dave

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Hi Dave,

Great to see you join and hope you find the forum useful. As said I really enjoyed your interview, no offence meant with the 'black hole' comment, I find people on forums or in Facebook groups etc often think they know of most major collectors, so it's always cool when somebody 'new' comes along with an amazing collection that nobody knows about.

Cheers,
Edd

Kiwi-Dave

Youngling
Hi edd

No offense taken at all buddy.
I guess I fall into that description.
I have just never had time for forums and social media. Work ,kids, pets/ animals and we love to escape into the nz wilderness.

But I'm enjoying the connecting to new folks.
I'll ahare some pics soon

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Another cracking episode, lads! Really enjoyed Dave's interview- what an amazing find. Hope the exhibition happens, mate 8) The scam story was absolutely fascinating- I guess people had to be more trusting back then and he took full advantage.

Loved the Dagobah discussion- loads of stuff I didn't know- always liked it, but never paid it much attention before. Really helped to pass the time, while I was dog-proofing our back fence! The regular features are always great, but I particularly enjoy the LA section and I often go back a search out those bits and pieces. Very sad to see Si go :(

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
They might not be Toys but this is my latest "Jez inspired" Star Wars pick up etc. Looks like there's two more for me to collect, along with another 80s Classic The Sony Walkman, in order to listen to them :D

Attachments

• 7B1DAF37-C08A-4AC7-B6F1-3A4C24792FDF.jpeg
    7B1DAF37-C08A-4AC7-B6F1-3A4C24792FDF.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 919
  • 4908C2D5-757F-4C43-8930-4D159685D04B.jpeg
    4908C2D5-757F-4C43-8930-4D159685D04B.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 920
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom