Thinking about opening something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Sith Lord
jambobbyb said:
Grant C not sure what your on about a lot of people remember the smell of freshly opened Star Wars figures with reverence, panini stickers are the same I opened a pack of 80s Paninis and the smell is still utterly awesome.
Grant this thread has already thrown up numerous other members who have done the same thing and as its past tense it seems to be ok. These things are toys nothing more, they are not revered pieces of history. they are pieces of your childhood. I am merely considering opening one to relive a piece of my childhood.

As I say time and time again. It's all just opinions. Mines, yours , theirs. It's a forum, we give feedback where we see fit. G 8)

PGowdy

Grand Master
jambobbyb said:
Grant C not sure what your on about a lot of people remember the smell of freshly opened Star Wars figures with reverence, panini stickers are the same I opened a pack of 80s Paninis and the smell is still utterly awesome.
Grant this thread has already thrown up numerous other members who have done the same thing and as its past tense it seems to be ok. These things are toys nothing more, they are not revered pieces of history. they are pieces of your childhood. I am merely considering opening one to relive a piece of my childhood.

No, it's never ok. Years ago or today.
And to say "these things are toys and nothing more" is a pretty ignorant comment to be perfectly honest. I mean no insult, it just is. I'm not even gonna explain it.. i shouldn't need to.

But agree with you on the smell of a freshly opened pack of panning stickers. Ahhhhhh. :D

Bootyhunter

Jedi Master
Really? Open one just to smell it?
Have a little word with yourself - I'd never open one up
As the other guys have said it might be a tiny thrill for 30 seconds then you'll feel BAD.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
If you won't to relive your childhood and get a thrill for about 30 seconds, just go and do a knock and run on one of your neighbours. :D

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
Pete you open and sell vintage stickers, what's the difference between them and a Star Wars figure? A pack of vintage stickers are a finite resource yet that's ok.... These are toys nothing more they evoke a sense of nostalgia in people of a certain age bracket 90% of vintage collectors are aged between 30-50 because these pieces are toys they owned as children.. If you want to collect history collect something that's of historical value I spent the best part of 10 years hunting for this group it's history and for it to exist a 21 year old lad had to be killed in WW1 going over the top on 1st morning of the Somme its value is immense that's history the other is a toy its value is very low because it's a toy...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 479
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 481

PGowdy

Grand Master
Right, so; no one died = not important. Got it.
The national gallery will be gutted when they find out. What they seem to have is a giant building filled with "just paint and canvas" :lol:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
A man is defined by his actions not who he is.

I understand that you crave a jolly jape for a fleeting moment, but personally for me, it's a no.

I collect on a meagre budget and beater mocs are fine for me, they have character, just because to you it seems to have no value, it has to others who would gladly have in their collection.

So again, for me there is no reason to open one. Just my opinion.

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
Always known when you have someone on the ropes when they just ignore your questions, you break down sealed finite examples of pop culture for money you are the U grader of all U graders when it comes to stickers. The national gallery is jam packed full of historical works they are historical works because they have been painstakingly created by grand masters of the art world that makes them historically important. I don't think the Chinese sweat shop worker who knocked up the Ree Yees can be classed as a grand master so yes it is of very little historical value.

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
Michael it has no value because it was recently unsold at a public auction for £10.... It's value is not chosen by me but by the public and they have decided it wasn't worth a tenner.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Mate, I'm not having a go, just my opinion, but that is my whole point, it's value to me and other budget collectors is different to the
Value to yourself and others.

Also this is a wide audience forum with lots of would be collectors viewing and following threads, and being led by example
I have just taken a look at your collection via the link, and man you have some beautiful mocs, a collection I would never
In a million years be able to amass, and there are lots more like me.

Again these are my opinions as yours are yours.

PGowdy

Grand Master
jambobbyb said:
Always known when you have someone on the ropes when they just ignore your questions, you break down sealed finite examples of pop culture for money you are the U grader of all U graders when it comes to stickers. The national gallery is jam packed full of historical works they are historical works because they have been painstakingly created by grand masters of the art world that makes them historically important. I don't think the Chinese sweat shop worker who knocked up the Ree Yees can be classed as a grand master so yes it is of very little historical value.

Sticker packs are a very different thing. A huge amount of people want the stickers inside the packs. They want to complete books and put together sets. They want to see the stickers. They want to find mint ones and shiny ones and so on. There's very little collecting value in the sealed packs themselves. They also don't stay sealed even if you do want to collect them. I don't personally open sealed packs as a rule but i see why people do and it's really the community that creates the rule.
I buy 1000s of loose stickers and sell them. I have also bought several boxes of the sealed packs with the intention of selling them sealed, you get more money that way, only to open the box and see that 99% of them are either split open or partially split and with minimal handling will fall apart.
It;'s the same with the Garbage Pail Kids community. People, by and large, collect the stickers inside the packs. It's just a very different type of hobby to toy collecting where the value for many is in displaying the toy in it's original packaging. 99% of collectors want to do just that and so with each figure thats opened or ugraded the opportunity for collectors to own their own at a reasonable price diminishes.

I never said vintage collectable toys were important. I just said they're not "just toys". Just because no one died or a genius didn't painstakingly create them over years of hard work doesn't reduce them to being meaningless toys. The minute someone choses to display one on a wall they become not "just toys" they become something else. This is something that most people have a grasp of, especially collectors. And it's what they are trying to preserve. For themselves and for future collectors.

grinchy

Sith Lord
I'm in the no camp to, i'm another beater card collector, lots of history in those dings and scrapes, why not sell it on and pick up a cheapo modern figure to open?

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
What's his name who does u grades galaxables came out with the exact same trot over u grading Star Wars as you just did there over stickers, many people don't want damaged cards and if I handle them they just fall apart anyway so I u grade them! (**** you there is a market and I'm making money!) the reality is over the years you have destroyed 100s of sealed packets of "historicaly important" pop culture because the stickers are worth more individually than they are in a packet, yet I'm a complete bastard because I want to open a couple of decidedly low end Star Wars figures because it reminds me of my childhood and will give me and another massive Star Wars fan I have known for nearly 40 years a bit of a jolly down memory lane.

PGowdy

Grand Master
jambobbyb said:
What's his name who does u grades galaxables came out with the exact same trot over u grading Star Wars as you just did there over stickers, many people don't want damaged cards and if I handle them they just fall apart anyway so I u grade them! (**** you there is a market and I'm making money!) the reality is over the years you have destroyed 100s of sealed packets of "historicaly important" pop culture because the stickers are worth more individually than they are in a packet, yet I'm a complete bastard because I want to open a couple of decidedly low end Star Wars figures because it reminds me of my childhood and will give me and another massive Star Wars fan I have known for nearly 40 years a bit of a jolly down memory lane.

No, as i said, they're worth more sealed. So your argument falls down slightly there. I also said very clearly that i haven't opened 100s of sealed packets. I have shelves and shelves of sealed packets. They will remain that way.
You really need to read what i say before making your post because it seems you've ignored most of it and reinterpreted it in a way that suits your argument. There's no real value in that in terms of a productive discussion.

I also never said you were destroying an historically important object. Dispute you putting it in quotes. :roll: I said, again, quite clearly, that it is the opportunity for someone else to own and display it that is being taken from the community. Something the community doesn't want. That really ought to be good enough.

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
Grinchy that re Yees has been offered to collectors and it failed to sell at a tenner, if it turns up again I'm having it...
I undersatnd what your both saying but I have no interest in modern at all opening a modern fig would be like watching episode 1 :)

_Lee_

Sith Lord
jambobbyb said:

Has this thread got a little heated??

Ok, just to let you know that Robbie (Galactables) doesnt U grade anymore and hasnt done since the TT saga was brought to light-just wanted to clear that up ;)

Im with you on the sealed sticker packs. I collect Panini 1980,s football stickers and im still after an 85 packet and Mexico 86 packet (which go for £30 upwards). I dont beleive packets should be opened but each to their own. Some are more common, thats the way it goes and some will always get opened.

If you want to open the moc, do as you please especially if it hadnt sold for £10-i just cannot see why everyone is getting irate about this. Ill probably get flak for saying that, but i say it how i see it.

Next time, just dont say **** all !!! Lol

Joe

Grand Master
At the end of the day you can do whatever you want with the things you own whether the community agrees or not, but please remember my words:

Joe said:
Take it from me, it's extremely anticlimactic, totally pointless and also wasteful

Trust me on this one, I've already shown you some the figures I've opened and even though it was 11 years ago (and I didn't open for nostalgic feelings) I still wish I hadn't opened them, it really was pointless.

I totally get why you want to do this and years back many people did the exact same thing but I doubt any of them were transported back in time 30 years just by opening a still sealed Ree Yees or similar figure..it just doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom