Thinking of a focus any ideas

shawn_k

Sith Lord
Definitely some great advice from Andy there. I'm not sure if it is the same with all focus collectors, but I didn't wake up one day and say I was going to start a focus collection. It just kind of happened. While building my loose collection, I wanted both a green saber and blue saber Luke Jedi, so I picked them up. I started looking at carded figures and it just so happened my first was a MOC Luke Jedi. I then dug out my childhood figure from my parent's house. It then just kind of took off from there as I kept adding more, I started researching the figure more in old threads, and made contact with a few other LJ collectors who were also very helpful. It didn't help either that I became good friends with a few other focus collectors that keep an eye out for me when something I might want becomes available. ;)

Where you are asking though, pick a character the you like or find interesting. You're going to be hunting this character for a long time, so you don't want to end up with a collection and thinking why did I collect all this. Certainly a main character has their "tax" because they're popular, but if that's what you enjoy, then go for it.

sith-smith

Grand Master
My Focus is vintage star wars. Why not try that? :wink:

Ultimately you should only have a collection for the benefit of one person, and that's you!

So I think the advice that you collect what makes you happy is probably the most sensible advice another collector can give you.

However other people's suggestions for things you might focus on are useful as already said, as they can give you ideas as to what is possible with collecting. You may as a result hear of one that you'll think you'd enjoy doing. When I started I had no idea that there was any such thing as a focus, be it a character, a film a particular scene. Let alone proofs, prototypes, paperwork!!

What I didn't realise was that trying to get evry loose figure was in fact a focus. It was just what I wanted to have, and working on it made me happy.

So I think ultimately whatever you collect, for whatever reason, is your focus. It may or may not conform to 'known' foci.

But who, apart from you, should really care?

RebelChris

Youngling
There's been some great advice already added to this thread.

I can see the appeal of wanting to focus on a less popular character or one that no one has started already.

There are some great figures out there that I don't think many have decided to focus on or at least are still in the beginnings of building their collections.

I think you really need to sit down and think about which character you like the most, which figure you think looks the best, how far you want to take the focus (pre-production?), which figure has the most appealing cardback, what is available for that figure (variants, and foreign MOC's), any possibility of side focus (mini-rig, vehicles). Then make your decision based off of that. There is literally a ton of things out there you could decide to collect and that could support your focus of choice. Take your time and don't rush your decision.

shrek

Padawan
Thanks to everyone that has replied to my thread it has given me loads to think about and there has been a lot of good advice thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom