Vintage figures on Cut Cards - Opinions?!

Joe

Grand Master
While I have also heard that many cut cards came from the Kenner Employee store you simply cannot say ALL cut cards trace back to Kenner because it would be untrue.

I have seen plenty of cut card Trilogo and Palitoy figures over the years for example, they definitely didn't come from any Employee store. It's more likely that parents used to cut them up so they were easier to wrap as presents (to keep the kid guessing..stick 10 cut cards in a shoebox and wrap it up etc). May also have been done for storage reasons or something. People do odd things like that.

My personal opinion of cut cards is that while they are neither loose nor MOC they are quite cool and I don't think it's really fair that they get opened. They are still sealed after all but in that state they are an easy target for U graders unfortunately.

I don't think collecting cut cards is really something anyone could do with any success though, I doubt you could get an entire loose set on cut cards that easily and they would be a pig to display. In fact the only time I have ever seen someone go after cut cards and keep them that way was when Sacko on RS used to buy cut card Lili Ledy figures. He had quite the collection at one point and it was very cool but they had the Ledy appeal so there was something a little bit more special about them than regular Kenner.

fbrd98

Padawan
i couldn't find anything about cut cards when googling it but did come across the employee price lists for the kenner store http://www.kennercollector.com/2011/12/kenner-employee-price-lists-for-1983-1984-and-1985/

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Joe said:
While I have also heard that many cut cards came from the Kenner Employee store you simply cannot say ALL cut cards trace back to Kenner because it would be untrue.

I have seen plenty of cut card Trilogo and Palitoy figures over the years for example, they definitely didn't come from any Employee store. It's more likely that parents used to cut them up so they were easier to wrap as presents (to keep the kid guessing..stick 10 cut cards in a shoebox and wrap it up etc). May also have been done for storage reasons or something. People do odd things like that.

My personal opinion of cut cards is that while they are neither loose nor MOC they are quite cool and I don't think it's really fair that they get opened. They are still sealed after all but in that state they are an easy target for U graders unfortunately.

I don't think collecting cut cards is really something anyone could do with any success though, I doubt you could get an entire loose set on cut cards that easily and they would be a pig to display. In fact the only time I have ever seen someone go after cut cards and keep them that way was when Sacko on RS used to buy cut card Lili Ledy figures. He had quite the collection at one point and it was very cool but they had the Ledy appeal so there was something a little bit more special about them than regular Kenner.

Cheers Joe :D that makes sense :D

It's always difficult to adjust retrospectively, and remember the vast number of carded figures that you could find in discount stores 2for a £ etc, back in the day, which throws a different light on why people would chop the packaging etc.
As you say parents doing it etc.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing :D

jambobbyb

Jedi Master
I Am always interested in cut bubble figures some of us aren't so condition sensitive and collect on wee budgets. but they never seem to go "cheap" enough for my liking, I would happily keep them as is. The worlds full of mint figures but not too many still sealed in bubbles and this ****ing U-Grading dog **** has reduced this figure.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
They have been sealed for 30+ years so don't destroy them.

Just simply buy 1 of the million- yes million of minty figures out there. :p

There are some for sale in the sale section now.

plantman

Sith Lord
i wouldn't go hunting for cut card figures as you might fall into the opening moc trap, just buy mint loose and if you see the usual figures that turn up on cut cards like klaatu, open him and savour the smell lol

mumbo

Sith Lord
You have to leave them as they are, what is one mans trash is another mans treasure and whilst they may not display as good as a MOC that is no reason to open it up, its survived this long lets keep it that way :wink:

And if you factor in the additional cost of buying these plus higher postage as they are trickier to send then surely seeking out loose mint figures is the way to go :)

Ebay can be hit and miss but you could always discuss what you are after with the seller first to establish the quality or just buy from the forums :wink:

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
It's like this man:

Dennis Rodman, feminism, Shia Labouf

- Alive

Patrick Swazye

- Dead.

It's not right man.

Leave them cut cards go.

She's like the wind.......

RKW1138

Padawan
Well if I ever happen to find myself opening a cut card I'll be thinking of that scene from Raiders when they open the Ark.

Jez

Sith Lord
Maulster79 said:
It's like this man:

Dennis Rodman, feminism, Shia Labouf

- Alive

Patrick Swazye

- Dead.

It's not right man.

Leave them cut cards go.

She's like the wind.......

Chuckling to myself

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Tbh not as much of a tragedy opening a cut card but still a smaller crime IMO.
And the more of the card cut the smaller the crime naturally :wink:

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
16142934_1756223101364471_4234799978912228436_n.jpg

'Cut card' figures. Where did they come from? Who did this to them? There has even been some speculation that cut card figures originated from the Kenner store. Well a guy called Brock Lee posted this pic today, which he said I could share. Have a close look for the Power Droid... So it seems that at least some cut card figures were made for the simple fact that they're easier to wrap at xmas!

punk_pat

Jedi Knight
Cool photo! Die-cast cloud car looks to have had same fate!

Makes it easier to get in one's stocking ...

Do love a nice cut card

lejackal

Grand Master
This gives me a chance to trot this out again, I guess it was cut down to fit in my stocking.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20170117_0009.png
    wp_ss_20170117_0009.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 276
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom