Why the Han head swap?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Palifan said:
Snaketibe said:
Palifan said:
Strangely I had the large head Han growing up in the late 70's and that came from a 12 back card. I'd never even seen a pin head one until 2000 or something close to that as all the kids I knew who had one had a large head.

Ian
Yes, I've often wondered why the large head Han on a 12-back is so rare these days. When I was looking for a pin-head Han in 1978/9, I couldn't find one carded anywhere. All my local toy shop had were balloon-head Hans on 12 backs. I never bought a pin-head carded from the shops because I never saw one! My childhood pin-head eventually came in a swap with a friend of my brother, because I could only find balloon-heads in the shops, and even as a child of 6, I thought they looked shite and didn't want one!

But all that begs the question, why are the balloon-heads so hard to find on 12 backs these days, yet the pin-heads on 12 back are (relatively) quite common?

That really is strange that there are so few large head Palitoy 12 backs still out there (that we know of), yet you had a similar experience to me with seeing only this one at the time of release. it doesn't really make much sense unless you're also from Bristol and they all went to that one place and nobody kept them.

Ian
My childhood toy shop was in Ware, Hertfordshire, so nowhere near Bristol, yet our experiences, as you say, were similar. I'd love to know where all the large-heads on 12 backs went, as the pin-heads must have flown off the shelves given that we never saw them at the time (and I was looking!), yet today they're the only ones you're likely to find :?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Awl Skulkerkey said:
[Han Solo features one of the most obvious variations. Kenner first released Han with a small head, which was replaced by a larger head that looked a bit more like Harrison Ford. Kenner seems to have overdone themselves since the second head looks a bit too large. The small head was mostly packed with the early cards, so it appears to be less common than the large head].

Excerpt from Starwars.com
"which was replaced by a larger head that looked a bit more like Harrison Ford"... That's a matter of opinion! :-D

Personally, I think it looks more like something else.

Han (1).jpg

:-D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom