Toy Era's. 2 or more, what's your opinion?

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
Ok

So this has been discussed here and there on the forum if I remember rightly but with a new line of SW toys about to spring to life I was thinking about classifications of SW toy era's again.

Can we really just have 2? Is it really fair to brand a 20 year old toy as modern?

Answers on a post card please, or just pop a thought below, but if I were to be asked I might say something like:

1977-1984: Vintage Era. Original models based on original source material

1994-1999: Neo-Classical Era. Revised or classically inspired models based on Vintage Era toys and original source material

1999-2005: Prequil Era. New models and classically inspired models based on new and original source material

2006-2014: Modern Era. New and classically inspired models based on any and all preceding source material

2015-????: New Modern Era. New and classically inspired models based on New source material and past material

Just a thought on a slow news day :)

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I don't think it matters what you call them/how you classify them. Vintage is Vintage and anyone who's interested in modern knows what all the different modern lines are anyway. With all the modern Vintage Collection filling up the Vintage section on ebay it's a complete joke anyway! You are right though, potf2, nineteen years old, not exactly modern is it !?:|

monkey_roo

Sith Lord
It is all subjective of course but I do sense there are more opinions here on the quality of 'Vintage' over 'Modern' toys rather than a period based classification.

For most of use I agree, 'Vintage' is 1977-1984, (in fact I am arguing it always should be) but that is mostly due to our age and those being the toys of our childhood, in many ways it is coincidental that they are also the original SW toys.

For kids who grew up on the Prequels, who were 10 years old back in 1999 those are the toys of their childhood, those are the figures that hold the emotional draw. For new generations of collectors (the 20 something and growing crowd) Episode 1 figures will be 'Vintage' for a certain point of view, and the toys from our childhood, the 70's and 80's are almost historical, not to mention astronomical in price.

Hopefully many new younger collectors are drawn into the hobby and that being the case over time the perspective on what periods mean what to which generations need classification, the more time passes the more the necessity. Not that I would be quite silly enough to compare collecting SW toys to collecting art but there is a similarity and over the years (Many hundred of them granted) art produced in certain periods and or styles have been classified accordingly.

All I am really saying is I think that with almost 40 years of SW toys behind us (Sorry rounding up a bit there) not to mention many different styles (Original, POTF2, EP1 etc.) and who knows how many more in front. And with new generations of collectors coming in I don't think it is as simple as saying everything from 1990 onwards is modern?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah two for me works vintage and modern, don't have a problem with modern stuff as long as it's Star Wars and it's a toy. :D

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Yes it is that simple, two eras and that is it :!:
The vintage line were released as toys ie they were bought for kids and well played with!
The POTF2 and beyond were realised due to the success of the vintage line and I'd say more adults bought the POTF2 line as collectables as opposed to kids getting them to play with as toys :?

Kids playing with toys that is where the magic comes from :wink:

JuniorChubb

Sith Lord
Labelling anything as modern will lead to problems in the future, as it is currently doing now.

If I ruled the world I would go for...

Vintage - up to '85

90's -up to 99

Prequels - late 90's to 2005

Pre Disney 2005 to 2015

Post Disney 2015 and beyond

x-pack

Grand Master
Vintage and modern. That's it. There are decent lines in among the modern - Clone Wars and the Vintage collection figures are my favourites - but I don't think they need their own era or whatever.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom