Header image

Thinking about opening something

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
User avatar
tiefighterboy
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 11146
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:42 pm
Location: Michigan USA

Re: Thinking about opening something

Postby tiefighterboy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:13 pm

A figure breaking out of a bubble on it's own is a totally different thing then a person ripping one off a card.

My fucking head hurts.

User avatar
jambobbyb
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 937
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:08 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Thinking about opening something

Postby jambobbyb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:15 pm

No it isn't everyone knows afa graded figures are way more likely to pop in shipping because the bubble isn't protected.

User avatar
_Lee_
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2019
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 8:46 pm

Re: Thinking about opening something

Postby _Lee_ » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:16 pm

By the way, my post didnt mean i agreed with it being opened i just said do what the heck you want :) Like Joe, i opened maybe 3 moc figires to get my loose collection complete back in 2002. Seeing as though they were POTF Romba and Warok cards that i bought for less then loose examples (figure that out :) ) and a Trilogo Amanaman i did actually take 3 carded figures out of the game. However this was done in a time where it was relatively common place to get the best for your collection. Would i do it now? No way. Im not even overly fussed on C9-C10 figures anymore. My loose collection i have now was completed by buying and trading various stuff for loose figure lots, and thanks to a good friend who helped me along i managed to complete it.

Do i agree with opening carded figures-no, but then again ill never know if you did or didnt open yours either.

Lee
Vintage toys ,prop and autograph collector and Luton Town FC supporter.
Also try to play guitar with the guy in my avatar as an inspiration!
JASON BECKER STILL THE BEST EVER AND STILL HERE DESPITE A.L.S.

User avatar
tiefighterboy
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 11146
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:42 pm
Location: Michigan USA

Re: Thinking about opening something

Postby tiefighterboy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:17 pm

jambobbyb wrote:No it isn't everyone knows afa graded figures are way more likely to pop in shipping because the bubble isn't protected.


Maybe so..but how does that compare to someone intentionally opening a carded?

Fuck I give up..open it.

User avatar
Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2063
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:32 pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: Thinking about opening something

Postby Robstyley » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:20 pm

_Lee_ wrote:Next time, just dont say fuck all !!! Lol
[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking!! :lol: :roll:
Last edited by Robstyley on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WTB:http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22406
Collection:http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22046

User avatar
jambobbyb
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 937
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:08 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Thinking about opening something

Postby jambobbyb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:23 pm

I think it's worse Todd, people grade items for one reason to increase its value or prove it to be real. Most people on here know more about moc than AfA I am suggesting opening a low end moc because I love collecting star wars and I want to relive a bit of my childhood. Other people have trashed expensive and rare Mocs for profit.

PGowdy
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 6738
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:47 am
Location: London

Re: Thinking about opening something

Postby PGowdy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:35 pm

jambobbyb wrote:Not sure what your on about again Peter I'm talking about the afa graded Mocs which have broken out of bubbles I think the last one was a miscardeded Squid head beautiful rare moc totally trashed there a 20 back hammer head and a 21 greedo as well as a 21 back Fett these people graded items which are now ruined mainly because the graded item is worth more than the ungraded one....


Oh, ok. That's another bizarre argument. I wasn't aware people were doing that intentionally. They seemed like accidents to me. The same risk is involved when items are shipped via sales. And i think all collectors would agree that that's a shame when that happens. Not "ok", that's you twisting the truth to fit your argument again.
I think it's the refuge of a guilty conscience to start looking for the wrong in what everyone else is doing to justify something you are doing or want to do. What others do or do not do shouldn't matter. And it clearly doesn't matter to you how the community you are supposedly a part of feels about what you want to do (you've made that abundantly clear), all that matters is how you feel about what you want to do.
Former forum member.

User avatar
Dublinjeff
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 5818
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:15 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Thinking about opening something

Postby Dublinjeff » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:36 pm

:? Surely the people sending something to AFA or UKG were trying to protect the MOC they had for future enjoyment. I doubt, as I'm sure you agree, their intention was to have the card damaged. If it happened by accident in transit that's a shame.....Grading a moc that gets damaged en route is totally different to U-Grading a beater or opening a moc for personal reasons...No?

Is this thread a piss take.... :|

edit: Seem to have posted at the same time pete...Similar points of view, was literally thinking, it's the same as shipping a sale?.. :D
Last edited by Dublinjeff on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for Toltoys/Harbert Boxed Landspeeder....

PGowdy
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 6738
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:47 am
Location: London

Re: Thinking about opening something

Postby PGowdy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:38 pm

Dublinjeff wrote::? Surely the people sending something to AFA or UKG were trying to protect the MOC they had for future enjoyment. I doubt, as I'm sure you agree, their intention was to have the card damaged. If it happened by accident in transit that's a shame.....Grading a moc that gets damaged en route is totally different to U-Grading a beater or opening a moc for personal reasons...No?

Is this thread a piss take.... :|


No they're doing it to try to make the bubble fall off. And we all support that.

Also, soldiers.
Former forum member.

User avatar
Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 10442
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Here

Re: Thinking about opening something

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:41 pm

Image
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB
Image

User avatar
spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 7891
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:01 am
Contact:

Re: Thinking about opening something

Postby spoons » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:41 pm

No need to open anything - keep your lose collection in a detolf cabinet, and every time you open the glass door you get the amazing smell of off-gassing vintage toys. It really is a nostalgic smell and one that never goes, as log as you shut the door again :)
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

User avatar
Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 2063
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:32 pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: Thinking about opening something

Postby Robstyley » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:46 pm

I hope you didn't take that rubber duck off a card Joe :x
WTB:http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22406
Collection:http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22046

User avatar
Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 10442
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Here

Re: Thinking about opening something

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:49 pm

Robstyley wrote:I hope you didn't take that rubber duck off a card Joe :x


:lol: :lol:

Image
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB
Image

User avatar
jambobbyb
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 937
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:08 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Thinking about opening something

Postby jambobbyb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:56 pm

Sending Moc to AFA is "protecting it" what a total load of crap AFA cases are utter shite, it's why so many graded Mocs turn up with figures broken out of the bubble because the rail system doesn't protect the bubble. Grading is done to increase the value of items no extra protection is added I would say they are less protected once they are cased.

User avatar
jambobbyb
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 937
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:08 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Thinking about opening something

Postby jambobbyb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:57 pm

Peter I have no guilty conscience I am going to open a couple of beater Mocs. I have been quite open about it...


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Capetown and 10 guests