Header image

What do you do when collecting gets boring?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: What do you do when collecting gets boring?

Postby palitoyjunky » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi I’m not sure collecting should ever get boring :?: It has certainly never been the case for me. It can get a little quiet at times as said.

I sense ur impatience is getting the better of u again mate :!: U have had some good results this year so far, stay focused on that :)
Looking for mint sealed or unused Palitoy Empire.

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:01 pm

Cazza wrote:
theforceuk wrote:Is your collection on display? Don't do anything rash!

Adam, yeah, it's on display, but it's all over the place :(

Nick, I won't do anything silly...

It is difficult mate, my collection is all over the place a bit as well. Some in the loft, some on display in different rooms and every time I’ve purchased something recently I kind of think Im running out of space. One of the reasons I started collecting card backs and trying to build a Hoth Rebel Soldier army was because they take up minimal space.

One thing I have done this year is start buying acrylic cases for my smaller boxed items and displayed them which has been fun. I’m sure the items your after will turn up soon. :)
Last edited by theforceuk on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Ruby2511
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Ruby2511 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:25 pm

I personally don't think that collecting will ever get boring, I find that sometimes you hit a couple of hurdles from time to time, but whatever your after will turn up eventually 8)

Russ :D
Russ

Remember above the clouds the sun always shines

C-3PO (Return of the Jedi): I’m rather embarrassed, General Solo, but it appears that you are to be the main course at a banquet in my honor.

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:32 pm

I have my childhood stuff and some bits picked up over the years at boot sales nothing of any real value, but I've always found the vintage sw toys so interesting right since a kid and I really don't know why ??
I've got no compulsion to collect mib or moc or have them all but just like looking at vintage, its never gone away and have no answer as to why, I also have some micronauts items from when I was a kid and they fascinate me just as much as the sw stuff.
just suppose its the nostalgia and memories it brings back, :)
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:46 pm

If collecting gets boring then you prob need to mix it up a bit and collect some different stuff. It’s each to their own and I don’t know what everyone here collects but if I only collected say specific Mocs, or one character, personally that would bore me. If you become bored because you can’t find what you want/need, collect something else. I’ve seen a change in collecting in recent years. Lots of people are moving to other Star Wars merchandise having collected the toys and gone as far as they can or want with it. I’ve lost the buzz a bit for it lately, just not as into it as I used to be. It’s not really important to me right now and I’d like to trim down my collection. I don’t need 40 Mocs! Have realised I get just as much satisfaction from cardbacks and loose stuff as I do from Mocs.

poncho
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby poncho » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:59 am

ive been dabbling in customs of late. take a knackered beater and make something different. ive made some ralph mcquarrie inspired customs this year :)

Fishtalk
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Fishtalk » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Unless you really need the money, don't sell up. Over the last 20 years I've lost the collecting bug several times, each time I've sold up, feeling it was the right thing to do. Fast forward a year and the bug is back, only now I have to start from scratch - and as we all know prices rise at an astronomical rate. I'm in the middle of a slump right now, a long illness has kept me off work and I lost interest in all things Star Wars, I sold 90% of my collection to make ends meet. Once I'm back on my feet I've no doubt I'll want to start collecting again, but with todays prices (I collected Palitoy) I'm screwed.
So, my advice is store your collection somewhere out of sight and move on. If, after a year you still have no interest in Star Wars, then by all means sell up.

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:18 pm

Fishtalk wrote:Unless you really need the money, don't sell up. Over the last 20 years I've lost the collecting bug several times, each time I've sold up, feeling it was the right thing to do. Fast forward a year and the bug is back, only now I have to start from scratch - and as we all know prices rise at an astronomical rate. I'm in the middle of a slump right now, a long illness has kept me off work and I lost interest in all things Star Wars, I sold 90% of my collection to make ends meet. Once I'm back on my feet I've no doubt I'll want to start collecting again, but with todays prices (I collected Palitoy) I'm screwed.
So, my advice is store your collection somewhere out of sight and move on. If, after a year you still have no interest in Star Wars, then by all means sell up.

Great advice. Wish I had followed this the last two times I sold up. Particularly last time. Sorry to hear about your health problems and I hope you fully recover. Price rises aren't just restricted to Palitoys, but if you do start with them again you'll be delighted to know that some 30 backs are now a bargain buy :D

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:45 pm

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:
Fishtalk wrote:Unless you really need the money, don't sell up. Over the last 20 years I've lost the collecting bug several times, each time I've sold up, feeling it was the right thing to do. Fast forward a year and the bug is back, only now I have to start from scratch - and as we all know prices rise at an astronomical rate. I'm in the middle of a slump right now, a long illness has kept me off work and I lost interest in all things Star Wars, I sold 90% of my collection to make ends meet. Once I'm back on my feet I've no doubt I'll want to start collecting again, but with todays prices (I collected Palitoy) I'm screwed.

Great advice. Wish I had followed this the last two times I sold up. Particularly last time. Sorry to hear about your health problems and I hope you fully recover. Price rises aren't just restricted to Palitoys, but if you do start with them again you'll be delighted to know that some 30 backs are now a bargain buy :D

I assume the words “bargain buy” are relative!
But yes, great advice, I’m another that regrets selling up.

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:47 pm

Mini99 wrote:
ScruffyLookingNH wrote:

I assume the words “bargain buy” are relative!
But yes, great advice, I’m another that regrets selling up.

Relative to the same item 4 years ago (and how MOCs have come down in price in that time?!) and relative to some recent meteoric risers such a Trilogo TFP and Greedo hybrid!

theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby theforceuk » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:35 am

If your really bored of collecting try taking loads of naked photos of yourself with your collection and post them on Facebook.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:27 pm

theforceuk wrote:If your really bored of collecting try taking loads of naked photos of yourself with your collection and post them on Facebook.

And just make sure to cover your junk with a nice MOC. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

sparkysx
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby sparkysx » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:17 pm

I only need a yak and pop up r2 to complete, but not that bothered atm. I bought a sealing machine and plastic sealed all my figs up, they are in a box in the loft.

One things for sure, I don't think you would regret not selling them, can't see them dropping in value.

StarWarsFan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby StarWarsFan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:07 pm

Can't say ever found it boring did go for a year or so without buying anything.

poncho
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby poncho » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:17 am

sparkysx wrote:I only need a yak and pop up r2 to complete, but not that bothered atm. I bought a sealing machine and plastic sealed all my figs up, they are in a box in the loft.

One things for sure, I don't think you would regret not selling them, can't see them dropping in value.

sealed in bags or boxes?

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”