Death Stars - SPOILERS

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
lets discuss the latest death star

first of all, the Resistance committee are almost taking the piss.. even Solo is casual about blowing it up. Theres a great line in the rebel base from Leia about it too about blowing up death stars.

The failures:

Death Star 1 : Got found out, but it was a stroke of luck. Needed a one in a million shot to blow it up. It did however kill several billion people
Death Star 2: Got found out. This time came with an actual shield, and guarded by several battalions. Emperor was quite keen on his plan working. I always wondered that if the Death Star had to move to get near its prey, how would it do that? Or was this only whilst it was being built? Killed a few thousand rebels but really didnt do a great lot of damage before getting zapped.
Starkiller base, Death Star 3: This time dead easy when you have a defector in your midst to blow it up, as he worked there. Killed probably quite a few billion more than the first one. Sadly also took out an entire planet when it was destroyed. Probably a lot cheaper, planet was probably free.. energy stolen from the sun - free, then just a few bits and bobs and a massive lens.

Death star 4: Needs to be a solid structure with zero entry points. A monster snooker ball which rams into planets taking them out like a baked conker.

The only thing the death stars do wrong is that they don't last long, but you add up the deaths, then they do earn the name. I reckon its in the 50 billion people they've wiped out. Not bad per death star. Should be pretty much tyrannical by now...

I really like the obsession with star wars baddies that they keep building death stars.

itfciain

Grand Master
http://www.dorkly.com/post/59234/an-open-letter-from-a-death-star-architect :lol:

DARTH VADER

Jedi Knight
I'd rather not see another one in the final two movies...even though Starkiller Base was impressively done...and different in that it wasn't a space station, rather an actual planet with bits 'n bobs here 'n there - as I'm sure the First Order's construction manual would state :lol:

From now on, the base(s) could get more thought...maybe they'll think of different looks and locations...or perhaps just concentrate on the fleet a little more...wouldn't be surprised to see a more underground approach in Episode VIII...

I thought the internal sets of Starkiller Base were terrific...as were many other sets, thankfully...

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Honest question about Starkiller Base.

Forget about the comparisons to the other Death Stars. Love or hate the movie, we've all made that connection, and most point to that as being a weak spot in the film.

Anyway, this thing gains its power by sucking all of the energy from a star system's star. I guess I have two questions about this. First, why is it only considered fully charged when the sun goes dark? Different stars are different sizes, so does that mean Starkiller Base has different charges depending on its target?

The bigger question I have though is why do they bother using that energy to wipe out the planets served by that sun? Life is dependent on the heat/light of its local star, so wouldn't just snuffing the star out be enough to kill anyone and everyone on the surrounding planets? Blowing them up just becomes overkill, doesn't it?

Again, this isn't me being a "hater". They are honest questions about the way it works that didn't add up to me.

Ian

DARTH VADER

Jedi Knight
We are led to believe that the First Order has managed to harness the energy of the star, in order to use its immense power for their destructive goal...but snuffing out said star would also result in making the Starkiller base redundant...so I wouldn't imagine they would wish to do that. As for different charges for different systems/stars, it would only be conjecture to reply but perhaps that is a possibility too...

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
The threat of what can be done with the Death Star, as demonstrated in blowing up the planets, is a message from the first order of the power they have, if they destroy the star it then removes the threat they have.
Bit like Tarkin with Alderaan showing the power of the weapon that then is used as a constant threat to anyone opposing the first order.

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Ian_C said:

Forget about the comparisons to the other Death Stars. Love or hate the movie, we've all made that connection, and most point to that as being a weak spot in the film.

Anyway, this thing gains its power by sucking all of the energy from a star system's star. I guess I have two questions about this. First, why is it only considered fully charged when the sun goes dark? Different stars are different sizes, so does that mean Starkiller Base has different charges depending on its target?

The bigger question I have though is why do they bother using that energy to wipe out the planets served by that sun? Life is dependent on the heat/light of its local star, so wouldn't just snuffing the star out be enough to kill anyone and everyone on the surrounding planets? Blowing them up just becomes overkill, doesn't it?

Again, this isn't me being a "hater". They are honest questions about the way it works that didn't add up to me.

Ian

are you making the mistake of trying to apply exact science to a space fantasy? Keep science to star trek

Ian_C

Jedi Master
naughtyjedi said:
Ian_C said:

Ian

are you making the mistake of trying to apply exact science to a space fantasy? Keep science to star trek

No, absolutely not. But SW has always managed to present things as believable in the face of scientific improbability. These were just two glaring things I noticed. I can ignore the first one, and I suppose the "message" of destroying planets is there too for the second, but wouldn't the fear of having your planet thrown into total darkness and cold accomplish the same thing?

Ian

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Ian_C said:
naughtyjedi said:
Ian_C said:

Ian

No, absolutely not. But SW has always managed to present things as believable in the face of scientific improbability. These were just two glaring things I noticed. I can ignore the first one, and I suppose the "message" of destroying planets is there too for the second, but wouldn't the fear of having your planet thrown into total darkness and cold accomplish the same thing?

Ian

So how does two suns work?

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Is this trolling Stuart?

Two suns. We don't know how far away they are from Tatooine. If they are far enough away, it would be the equivalent of life being on Saturn or Jupiter instead of Earth.

Has zero to do with an honest question about Starkiller Base though. If you guys think I'm an evil troll for not liking a ****ing movie and stating that, so be it. I'm trying to be more respectful in my criticisms after that **** show the other day, but I am still a member allowed to voice an opinion. You'll have to ban me to shut me up. ;)

Ian

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
Ian_C said:
Two suns. We don't know how far away they are from blah blah science blah science blah blah blah science yabba blah science

Death stars.. blowing stuff up, ATATs, monsters, adventure, laser swords, hyperspace, - its a space fantasy film.

Im hoping for two more death stars in ep8 and 9... even crazier than before. I mean how crazy is building a small moon that moves throughout space blowing planets up, through to building another one through to actually carving up a frickin planet? I love it... how can they outdo that one... maybe taking over a sun and blowing flames from it or something...

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
I'm not getting the trolling thing you keep trotting out. Is trolling now 'answering' or the new word for 'responding'. Or by continuing ad nauseum to repeat the word trolling in most posts, are you now trolling?

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Trolling is being a dick, like you were in the *blah blah blah science* response. I don't even want a 'scientific' debate. You are mad at me for posting opinions you don't like, and are now treating me with condescending replies. Whatever. I've had MUCH worse over the years, and can handle it. I tried apologizing to someone the other day, and he chose to ignore it. Whatever. I'm not a bad guy, but will express my views. Some of you think I'm trampling all over your feelings by doing so, yet the majority have no qualms about doing the same by trashing things like the PT that others do like. That's 100% hypocritical.

So...if I get defensive, it's thanks to people that want everyone to post with mob mentality. Our way or the highway. Sorry, I don't play like that. Disagree all you want. I encourage it - but do it respectfully and there will be NO problems.

Ian

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Play nicely guys!

As for the Death Star question, I for one hope there are not more, that material I feel has run its course & its time for new ideas & a fresh direction, star killer base was different enough for them to just about get away with it, but TBH I think further DS incarnations would be a mistake.

S117

Youngling
Frunkstar said:
As for the Death Star question, I for one hope there are not more, that material I feel has run its course & its time for new ideas & a fresh direction, star killer base was different enough for them to just about get away with it, but TBH I think further DS incarnations would be a mistake.

I agree. They need some fresh ideas.

stratpack

Jedi Knight
Supporter
One thing bugged me. Starkiller Base must have taken YEARS to build. Why did the Resistance wait till they're about to fire it to decide to attack? They knew about the other Death Stars surely this one would have been harder to conceal?

I suppose its one of those things you've got to look over. :D

maxf

Jedi Master
Ian_C said:

Ian

But how long would it take for the world to die? Also, anybody with any wealth or influence could just fly somewhere else, so you're left killing the people who don't matter and those who would form part of the new reich (sorry, order).

Blowing up a planet with everybody on it would get a message out pretty quickly - letting a planet die slowly while the rich/government/military escaped... Less so.

x-pack

Grand Master
Maybe take a look at how some James Bond villains have made threats. Destroying planets (and people) doesn't seem very cost effective. Surely they could threaten to blow up the planet with a massive laser and demand cash in return for not doing. Certainly one of those planets looked very well to do in TFA. They could have stumped up quite a ransom :?

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
S117 said:
Frunkstar said:

I agree. They need some fresh ideas.

Totally agree....

Just saw TFA today for the first time. Really enjoyed it, looking forward to seeing it again Thursday.

However, when I saw another Death Star/planet idea I was a bit disappointed initially. Especially in the way it was defeated almost identically to ANH, trench run and all.... :?

Hopefully some new ideas on the horizon. I'm erring towards a static base on a remote plant where Ren will receive his final training?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom