Can anyone help me with getting a retro coin-op style console?

Palifan

Sith Lord
Hi all,

I'm not sure if anyone can help with some advise but many years ago I bought an Xbox from Chiffy on here that had been modded in some way and was full of thousands of arcade and home computer retro games. It worked really well and was super simple to use but recently when I tried to play it, it had finally died on me.

I did have a look around (and contacted Chiffy), but couldn't really find a replacement and I'm not even sure I was looking in the right place as I'm not 100% what these things are called (well I am quite old now lol!). Anyway, I looked into what I could use and ended up with a Kinhank X2 system that seemed to be the thing I wanted but since I've had it I've really not gotten on well with it. It seems far less straight forward than I'd hoped for and struggle to get the games to work properly as you seem to have to map the controls and things like that and It just ends up frustrating me (told you I was old!).

All I really want is the same thing I had, which is super straight forward and reliable and has all those classic Arcade, Spectrum, Amiga ect. games on it. I feel the old modded console is a better way for me to go as I'm thinking that these things are more built for the job so can anyone show me what I need to get or maybe someone on here even has something that they're looking to sell?

Any help appreciated and I'll be quite happy to sell my Kinhank to someone who know's what they're doing if I can find one.

Ian

Palifan

Sith Lord
Think I've found just the thing. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive and see what I've bought lol!

Ian

lejackal

Grand Master
I had a PS3 with a stack of games on, I think they're fantastic. The Kinhank X2 looks like it's a good little machine, if slightly fiddly. Glad you've found something!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Sorry a bit late, but for anyone else looking for a cheap all in one emulator solution I highly recommend a Raspberry Pi running Retropie. I recently bought one to go with the Sega joysticks I bought a few weeks back. The Pi cost me £52 and the screen was a tenner from Cash Recycle, so if you buy a slightly less indulgent joystick/controller you can have an arcade quality setup for well under £100. And the Retropie front end/user interface is really nice, as you can see here!

IMG_2863.jpeg

Palifan

Sith Lord
Sorry a bit late, but for anyone else looking for a cheap all in one emulator solution I highly recommend a Raspberry Pi running Retropie. I recently bought one to go with the Sega joysticks I bought a few weeks back. The Pi cost me £52 and the screen was a tenner from Cash Recycle, so if you buy a slightly less indulgent joystick/controller you can have an arcade quality setup for well under £100. And the Retropie front end/user interface is really nice, as you can see here!

View attachment 179323
Looks amazing Edd and if I hadn't just bought pretty much the same thing I had before, I would have gone for this. That's such a sweet looking setup though and maybe when mine fails me again I'll look into something like this.

Thanks for all the comments though guys,

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom