CRT TV help!!

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Gents, I'm trying to source a CRT TV for my old systems but don't want to pay the prices that alot are going for on ebay.

Am I being unrealistic and actually £70-£100 is the going rate for these now?? I remember when you could pick them up for £20-£30.

Or is there a way I can play them through my TV now with adaptors??

Thanks in advance.

lejackal

Grand Master
Gents, I'm trying to source a CRT TV for my old systems but don't want to pay the prices that alot are going for on ebay.

Am I being unrealistic and actually £70-£100 is the going rate for these now?? I remember when you could pick them up for £20-£30.

Or is there a way I can play them through my TV now with adaptors??

Thanks in advance.
BiN on eBay and you're probably looking at that price range for a nice 14" Sony trinitron, especially if they'll post it. A larger one will be cheaper as there's less competition. @edd_jedi recently got one for a quid I think, although he actually paid them a bit more IIRC.
To get one cheaper look locally on Facebook marketplace, gumtree and eBay - local collection almost always means cheaper.
As for playing on modern TVs there are various converters out there but it depends which console as to what you can get. Also, if you intend to use a light gun, you'll have to get a CRT. Hope that helps

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes it's mostly down to luck and location as many sellers won't post them (and fair enough because they are so fragile.) Sony ones always sell for a premium, you could look at other brands, eg many arcade machines had Panasonic screens so their TVs are good for games. What I did was set up a search on eBay within 50 mile radius of my postcode, and then just waited for one to come up that wasn't stupidly priced (as Carl says I lucked out and got one for 99p.) You could also try Facebook marketplace or even ask at your local tip, although a bit like Star Wars toys people are aware of their value now so you rarely see them listed for free any more :(

For hooking up to a modern HDMI TV, I use one of these. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for, has loads of settings to play with and importantly no inpuit lag. I tried using one of the £20 SCART converters and there was so much lag it made platform and fighting games unplayable, was OK for RPGs though. These are also good, but you need one for each console, while the OSSC I posted above works with anything with SCART output.

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks gents, I'll look into it more when I'm back off holiday. Have got a local TV shop that is pretty good so will try there as well. Will also do what you suggested Edd and set up a search on eBay.

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
Found out the flat screen tv in my room still have manual analogue tuning on it so very happy that I don't need to spend out on a TV. I know I wont be able to play games that need the light gun though. Will at some point look into one of the OSSC you pointed out Edd but for now I'm well chuffed. 😁😁

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Definitely worth investing in a SCART cable for each console, should cost under a tenner on eBay and will give the best picture.

Latest posts

Top Bottom