Do you collect or invest??

2stripes

Jedi Master
I'm sure a lot of you have been asked with bewilderment, "why do you collect Star Wars??" by a friend or a partner especially when they hear the costs involved so I'm interested to hear what answers people give. Personally nostalgia is the biggest pull for me, life is so busy with work and kids and with everything in between its good to have something that takes you back to when life was a little more carefree, and it's the same with Vinyl record collecting for me too. I have my figures which represent my childhood and my albums which represent my adolescence. I think when I explain that it's to hold onto that part of your life and not forget what it was like being a kid people seem to get it a little more. Other than that it's just the process of collecting I enjoy, tracking things down, have them arrive in the post rearranging the displays. I'm glad I got back into the hobby anyhow even if my bank balance has taken the inevitable hit!

I don't really see them as an investment piece although I hope they hold their value and maybe increase a little over time at least with inflation so that I can give them to my boys one day as a deposit on a house maybe but that's never really been a factor. I'll look for a bargain of course but you quickly learn its better to buy from a trusted source and know what you're getting than continually take a chance on a murky camera shot on eBay for next to nothing. I do wonder at the long term value though, I'm 36 and it would be interesting to gauge the average age of people on this site. I'm guessing under 30 and you're looking at far fewer collectors although the prequels may have encouraged a few younger fans to get in to collecting the originals. Whether the spending power of this core age group drops off in time and demand for figures drops off over the next 20 years say, it remains to be seen. This might be the peak of the hobby in terms of prices or maybe the U grade fad will drive the price of MOC's up for some years yet. What are your thoughts on this also? Sorry I ask as someone who concentrates on collecting MOC's but the question can extend to the hobby as a whole.

Are there any articles or research done on the estimated number of collectors worldwide and of MOC's still in circulation and the effect of U Grading? It would be an interesting read if anyone has anything on that.

Sorry seems to be a few questions here after all, just around the reasons for collecting and the long term prospects of the hobby.

jackabina

Sith Lord
It's all about the memories of my childhood for me mate. About 3 years ago, my dad dug up in the back garden the Ree Yees I had when I was a nipper. That battered incomplete beater is worth more to me than a DT Luke or VC Jawa.
I like showing my kids (as they're playing with the shite they sell today), what I played with at their age :D

Joe

Grand Master
I remember when the peak was said to have been 4-5 years ago and prices are still rising on interesting Vintage items so who knows. I definitely think the fact that SW is still out there in peoples faces (clone wars/prequels/video games etc) helps rekindle the love of SW stuff for the 30-40 year olds out there and it also breeds interest in the younger generations too.

As for collecting as an investment, I am glad whatever I have bought over the years has kept its value (or increased slightly) because it means I theoretically still own the money I have spent but I don't really collect to invest, I would probably still enjoy it if the bottom fell out of the market tomorrow as I love the toys (besides if things got cheaper I could just buy more and more! :D )

dannyc09

Youngling
I was born when Jedi came out, so grew up with my elder cousin who had the ANH and ESB toys. I got his hand me downs and was always watching the films. Around 10 years old I started collecting the toys from bootsales and toy fairs and have been collecting ever since.

I guess for me it was sheer love of the films and the stories behind them. Now I tend to collect/make props so have moved away from the toys a bit but still consider myself a collector. Although I never really looked at them as an investment I'm in a position where I need to sell them on to get an engagement ring and for investing in my new ventures.

I will always look back on my toys with nostalgia, but for me they have served their purpose. Now it's time for someone else to enjoy them. :D

Dan

søren

Jedi Knight
Hi Mate

That is a great question .

I like the rest of you collect for nostatic reasons . But 50% of collecting is the hunt for me .
If i could have the it all right now . Then there would not be any fun for me any more .

I have switched from moc collction to almost only collecting Proof cards and danish stickers on moc's and cardbacks.

When i now look at my collction i have begun to tell myself that it is an fun invesment . As the price on proofs are 300+ and i have 30+

Having so much money tied up in a few pieces of carbord , has made me only buy what are in top shape .
I simply can not spend the money one proofs costs , if it is not C9 , so i know that my money are as safe as they can . Not that i want to sell my collection any time soon , but i like thinking a little a head .

( as i did when i kepth my childhood collction back in the day :) )

Still the hunt and the nostaldic is it , and one of the resons that i switch to proofs are that they are hard to find and i would have game to hunt for many years ind the future , that was also an indvestment for the future.

But as i sold/selling almost all my moc's i can tell you that as a short term invesment (2 years ) , it has not been good for me . As i have not gotten the price i paid for most of them . And on top of that had to pay shipping when i got them sent to me . So as a investment you have to think long term .

This thread and the one below might not be exactly what you seek , but they are around the same theme . So give it a look .
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1078575/
And this
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1079025/

Soren

Stormtrooper37

Sith Lord
Childhood memories mainly for me. These toys have a nostalgic charm for a lot of collectors, even if they were as cheap as chips I would collect them, the fact that most are not does evoke a bit more of a challenge, which as a colloctor I like.
Still remember the first figure I ever got - Greedo back in around 1980 sometime in a small independent stationers next to my local sweet shop - both no longer around :(

Richard_H

Grand Master
I collect for hobby only. Knowing my luck I would shell out 5000 on a dt vader and the next day a warehouse of them would be discovered in south guatemala

CRAZYHAZY

Jedi Master
I collect purely for nostalgia in relation to star wars toys. I still have 10 figures that survived inc my r2 which was my very 1st figure i gpt in 78! most are in shite condition though!
I dont think ill make any money on my loosies although they are all mint or nr mint but i dont think i spent wisely? the two mocs i do have are battered to **** and not worth anything . So invesment wise ive more than likely made a big fat loss. :mrgreen:

flycasual

Jedi Master
Collect: I'm not sure it's a good long term investment. Some of the rarer things might be though. :?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
First I began to collect because I thought it could be fun to have all the items I did not get as a kid. But after a short time, everything changed. It is fun and makes me remember my great childhood. It is also great to talk, share, trade and research with you guys :wink: and I get a lot of new friends all the time :D

Joe

Grand Master
Invest is a funny term really because I suppose people assume investing means at the end of the investment (i.e when you sell up) you will get a big return, an amount substantially more than you put in to begin with.

If you are thinking along those lines with VSW collecting then no it is definitely not possible or worth trying to collect as a worthwhile investment, unless you are super lucky all the time or have a time machine the chances are you will get the odd good deal but usually pay around market price for most of the items you pick up. I don't know anyone that has successfully read the market ahead of time and bought a bunch of stuff to sell at a later date for more £ - it just doesn't work like that in this hobby (and the days when you could go buy a box of Trilogos or foreign/euro cards for peanuts are long gone)

If you think of collecting as: enjoying your money with a good chance of getting it all back when you stop collecting then yes it is a good "little" investment because although you spend you can always cash in so to speak, might only break even but hey your money back is better than making a loss!

lee gray

Sith Lord
I buy for the fun of having something nice to look at and if I ever do sell something which I usually sell at a loss, its only so I can get something else with the money.

jedi_masters

Sith Lord
Supporter
To be honest I do a bit of both. I collect because I love the toys even lthough I was born after the release of the vintage toys they have a certain nostalgia for me. I do also think about price in the future and that there is always money in them if I ever need to sell them or pass them down to my children.

2stripes

Jedi Master
I'm most looking forward to buying a load of beaters and setting up some battles with the youngest in the front room to be honest! The dining table is the likely rebel base! 8)

I think I share the general consensus in that I don't expect to make a profit on what I buy but hope they hold their value. You can't put a price on what you get out of the hobby but, personally if the price fell through the floor I would question the amount I'd ploughed into collecting. Its true though, although its expensive most people could sell up and recoup a lot of what they have spent and walk away getting close to evens. You couldn't say that for many other hobbies, be it travelling round the country bird spotting or following a football team, money spent there is money you're never getting back.

Soren, both those links were a really interesting read thanks!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I agree with Soren, any collecting I do is mainly because I enjoy the hunt. I've always wanted to pay a good price, but money isn't the main factor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom