Latest Acquisitions

sith-smith

Grand Master
Nice score and exactly what collecting is all about. Good you got your grail piece.

Definitely something I've never seen before.

Have you figured out.how to play the game yet?

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
palitoyjunky said:
RifleSmile said:
Took delivery of this bad boy this morning - a great upgrade from my total beater and a great deal on this very forum from Mark / Conradrithblat

V nice 8)

Interesting colour footer :?:

Bloody hell, didn't notice that footer. Although the miscoloured footers aren't super rare they are quite unusual and do command a premium. Nicky, what was a bargain has just become a stellar buy. So glad it ended up with someone who wanted it in the collection and not for a quick buck :)

Cazza, that's bloody brilliant, mate. Never seen or heard of that mag but that looks super cool. And to find something that invokes childhood SW is, as Gary says, what it's all about. Brilliant find. Now I want one :lol:

RifleSmile

Jedi Knight
ScruffyLookingNH said:
palitoyjunky said:
RifleSmile said:
Took delivery of this bad boy this morning - a great upgrade from my total beater and a great deal on this very forum from Mark / Conradrithblat

V nice 8)

Interesting colour footer :?:

Bloody hell, didn't notice that footer. Although the miscoloured footers aren't super rare they are quite unusual and do command a premium. Nicky, what was a bargain has just become a stellar buy. So glad it ended up with someone who wanted it in the collection and not for a quick buck :)

Cazza, that's bloody brilliant, mate. Never seen or heard of that mag but that looks super cool. And to find something that invokes childhood SW is, as Gary says, what it's all about. Brilliant find. Now I want one :lol:

I did wonder about the footer guys and just assumed it was because it was a 21-A card back but I'm guessing by the sounds of it that not all 21-A s had the same?

I upgraded from a beater 20 back so well pleased with him and even more so that he's a little stranger than the norm!

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
The footer seems to match the airbrushed background behind old Arse Face!

I love the Game magazine. It's a new one to e too. It's the daft things that can invoke so much nostalgia. Congratulations on finding your man.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Andyclarke said:
New additions to my collection, so happy to have these. Palitoy heaven.

Cantina Special Offer
MGuUZW.jpg

qeaVLR.jpg

lzZT5C.jpg

Land of the Jawas
NApKzb.jpg

xE8FwD.jpg

kMLm9r.jpg

These are the ones that were up for auction on Ebay and the listing got pulled! :evil:

Shame, as an auction is a level playing field and I would have liked to at least to have a chance to bid on these - although I probably wouldn't have won! They certainly are amazing condition pieces, the best i've seen.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Cazza said:
Stunning bum-face! 8)

Recently managed to acquire something of a grail piece for me- so chuffed with it :D It's the first Star Wars item I ever owned- given to me by my Aunty when I was about 4 or 5. I didn't have a clue how to play it- I just invented my own games for it. I used to pour over it for hours- loved the pics.

When I got back into collecting a couple of years ago, this was the thing I really wanted to find, but had no idea what it was called. I started a thread on here http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25738&p=347755&hilit=star+wars+game#p347755 describing it and thankfully jedi_mister came to my rescue! Gamester Magazine (with a giant pull-out game of Star Wars), released by Walton Press Sales Ltd n 1977.

I then spent the next few months trying to find one to no avail. A couple turned up on Ebay, but in poor condition and expensive at £25+. I finally got lucky a few weeks ago and managed to bag a complete, unused/new Gamester magazine... for a tenner! So so chuffed with it. It brings back such memories - quite a quirky oddball item really, with weird ships etc. I'd love to open it out and play it properly, but I'm going to leave it intact. Hopefully my old one will turn up in my parents' loft one day...

ef5a29a2-5147-489e-b9cb-808d1c47b3f3_zpszaxnmnlr.jpg

56211484-d80b-4c97-a6ee-9e22b876a667_zpsjltcaqcn.jpg

d12b5f28-5fff-420c-896a-8d5530400361_zpsce13fec4.jpg

f9bd9dff-2820-4c04-9dd3-108497ff787e_zps65e9uuwq.jpg

I love the artwork on this! You've got a TIE Fighter that's been eating too much pie, you've got a retro style space station, and foreshadowing the yet un-released Empire Strikes Back you've even got asteroids!

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Andyclarke said:

These are the ones that were up for auction on Ebay and the listing got pulled! :evil:

Shame, as an auction is a level playing field and I would have liked to at least to have a chance to bid on these - although I probably wouldn't have won! They certainly are amazing condition pieces, the best i've seen.

Auctions like these never run their course on eBay, plus I wanted to keep the set together including the 20 backs. I managed to snag quite a few other pieces too for my collection and the sales part of this forum have benefited from some nice items. The seller didn't want the hassle and was a really nice person. I think both of us were very happy with the deal. I'm not looking to flip, they are going to stay in my Palitoy collection.

maxf

Jedi Master
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:

There was pretty much a behind the scenes auction going on for these bits - when I spoke to the seller she had over 20 people asking to end the auction and sell the stuff.

Given what I offered, and assuming Andy topped that, they certainly didn't go cheap! At least they aren't going to end up graded on Facebook!

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
maxf said:
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:

There was pretty much a behind the scenes auction going on for these bits - when I spoke to the seller she had over 20 people asking to end the auction and sell the stuff.

Given what I offered, and assuming Andy topped that, they certainly didn't go cheap! At least they aren't going to end up graded on Facebook!

When something like this comes up you have to play whatever hand you have to get them. Waiting for items like this to go the distance is optimistic, to say the very least. Although I would prefer it that the pulling of auctions didn't happen at all, it does, and as such I will also ask for items to be ended if only because a refusal from the seller means you know you're in with a shout and an indication from the seller that they will end them means you best make a good offer or someone else will. It's frustrating but it's life. And don't think for a moment that real life auction houses won't do it either. I made a generous offer for a group of medals once and the auction house were only too happy to pass it back to the vendor. Had they accepted the item would have been pulled from the auction.

jedi_mister

Jedi Knight
Recently managed to acquire something of a grail piece for me- so chuffed with it :D It's the first Star Wars item I ever owned- given to me by my Aunty when I was about 4 or 5. I didn't have a clue how to play it- I just invented my own games for it. I used to pour over it for hours- loved the pics.

When I got back into collecting a couple of years ago, this was the thing I really wanted to find, but had no idea what it was called. I started a thread on here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25738&p=347755&hilit=star+wars+game#p347755 describing it and thankfully jedi_mister came to my rescue! Gamester Magazine (with a giant pull-out game of Star Wars), released by Walton Press Sales Ltd n 1977.

I then spent the next few months trying to find one to no avail. A couple turned up on Ebay, but in poor condition and expensive at £25+. I finally got lucky a few weeks ago and managed to bag a complete, unused/new Gamester magazine... for a tenner! So so chuffed with it. It brings back such memories - quite a quirky oddball item really, with weird ships etc. I'd love to open it out and play it properly, but I'm going to leave it intact. Hopefully my old one will turn up in my parents' loft one day...

Congrats on finally getting one at a decent price. Happy to help jog your memory on the Gamester mag in the first place :)

skywalker

Jedi Master
Andyclarke said:
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Andyclarke said:

Auctions like these never run their course on eBay, plus I wanted to keep the set together including the 20 backs. I managed to snag quite a few other pieces too for my collection and the sales part of this forum have benefited from some nice items. The seller didn't want the hassle and was a really nice person. I think both of us were very happy with the deal. I'm not looking to flip, they are going to stay in my Palitoy collection.

Awesome stuff, did the Land Of The Jawas sell for £99 or did you buy that too, if not somebody got one hell of a deal there.

What other stuff did you take just the Cantina and the 4 Moc's..?

Palifan

Sith Lord
ScruffyLookingNH said:
maxf said:
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:

When something like this comes up you have to play whatever hand you have to get them. Waiting for items like this to go the distance is optimistic, to say the very least. Although I would prefer it that the pulling of auctions didn't happen at all, it does, and as such I will also ask for items to be ended if only because a refusal from the seller means you know you're in with a shout and an indication from the seller that they will end them means you best make a good offer or someone else will. It's frustrating but it's life. And don't think for a moment that real life auction houses won't do it either. I made a generous offer for a group of medals once and the auction house were only too happy to pass it back to the vendor. Had they accepted the item would have been pulled from the auction.

I also have asked to see if the seller is interested in a BIN but mainly just so that I know I'll get to bid on it. Unfortunately this is something that probably happens to any desirable item and if you don't ask you may well not see the auction go to the end. It is a shame really as it can be quite fun to see what these things go for when the bidding gets heated and also it feels like everyone's got the same chance at it.

I've been on both sides of this in the past with having an item pulled and sold to me off eBay as well as something I'm interested in bidding on just disappear. Also I've ended one of my own auctions early to do a deal but have to say that the stress this can cause (especially from people who wanted to bid on it who then write to you having a pop), is just not worth it to me. I think next time I put something up for auction that I think might be of interest I'll be sure to say in the listing that I don't want to end it early.

It's a tricky situation for sure but as has been said, sometimes you have to pull out all the stops to try and secure an item you really want and you know full well that if you don't someone else will, it's just the way things are now a days.

Congratulations on the magnificent pieces though Andy, it's really good to see that they got into a collectors hands who's going to both love and care for them all. :D

Ian

Andyclarke

Sith Lord
Palifan said:
ScruffyLookingNH said:
maxf said:

I also have asked to see if the seller is interested in a BIN but mainly just so that I know I'll get to bid on it. Unfortunately this is something that probably happens to any desirable item and if you don't ask you may well not see the auction go to the end. It is a shame really as it can be quite fun to see what these things go for when the bidding gets heated and also it feels like everyone's got the same chance at it.

I've been on both sides of this in the past with having an item pulled and sold to me off eBay as well as something I'm interested in bidding on just disappear. Also I've ended one of my own auctions early to do a deal but have to say that the stress this can cause (especially from people who wanted to bid on it who then write to you having a pop), is just not worth it to me. I think next time I put something up for auction that I think might be of interest I'll be sure to say in the listing that I don't want to end it early.

It's a tricky situation for sure but as has been said, sometimes you have to pull out all the stops to try and secure an item you really want and you know full well that if you don't, someone else will, it's just the way things are now a days.

Congratulations on the magnificent pieces though Andy, it's really good to see that they got into a collectors hands who's going to both love and care for them all. :D

Ian

Cheers Ian. Most of us have done this at some time or other and most of have lost out on far more than we've landed. I just got very lucky this time.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
I've bought a number of things this year I just haven't got round to taking pictures of yet - this is one of my favourites and, along with a couple of loosies I bought from punkpat and the existing 79-back I already have, seems to be developing into a focus!
han-trench-trilogo2.jpg

Jez

Sith Lord
Page 1880
PalitoyJunky: Wonderful looking at that Palitoy catalogue. Such great imagery. I like the references to Luke Skywalker in Flight Suit and a Death Squad Commander.
Page 1881
Poncho: Great looking Biker Scouts, i've not noticed that head variant before. I'm off to check mine!
AndyClarke: Wow! A stunning haul of Palitoy goodness. The LoTJ and Cantina playsets looks fantastic.
RifleSmile: Mint Walrusman MOC mate. Really great example. If i'm not mistaken that looks like a PBP figure. I'm not good with variants but he looks like a dark green version.
Page1882:
Cazza: Congrats on the game mate, I'm well chuffed for you. That's what it's all about, memories and nostalgia.
Page1883
Peekaygee73: Great Han Endor MOC, the beginning of a focus?

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
When I sell on Ebay auction I have taken to adding 'This auction will run to the end" at the bottom of the listing. I can understand the temptation to end early as a seller in cases where you are not clued up on the value. A few years back I sold a whole bunch of odds and ends including a pair of vintage golf balls that were wrapped in a shiny cellophane type material and in their original box, started everything at 99p. I got a message offering £50 for the golf balls and I thought that sounded really good, but I let the auction run because I figured if the buyer is offering me £50 then he is at least going to bid £50 so let's see what happens. They sold for over £300!

So the whole point of a buyer try to instigate a backroom 'buy it now' is so that they secure the item cheaper than they think they would if the auction was left to run. I guarantee that anyone offering you £50 to end early is going to be prepared to max bid more than £50 when the auction timer ticks down to zero.

Top Bottom