My Childhood Millenium Falcon Restoration Project

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
I'm about to start converting my large garage into my man cave for somewhere to display my vintage toys. I've only just started out on building my collection but I wanted as a focal point when I start to display a Millenium Falcon. I was going to buy a good condition one but instead have decided to restore my old toy that I played with throughout the 80s.

I'll be honest it's in a real state and missing all sorts of parts, it was heavily played with. I wasn't born till 1979 and my older brother was badly into Star Wars, by the time I was four I was obsessed with all of his figures and his Death Star playset but in particular his Millenium Falcon, so much so that he stopped me playing with his toys afraid that I was going to break it. In 1984 my parents bought me my own Millenium Falcon and it took a real pounding as it was used for Star Wars, He-Man, MASK, WWF wrestlers or whatever I was playing, it was always the central item for all my games.

Sadly in around the early 2000s when I purchased my first house I sold all my old Star Wars toys except a box full that I had still in my parents attic. Luckily my falcon was still in that box.

I thought it would be more fitting to completely restore my falcon from my childhood rather than buy another one, I think it will have much more meaning in my collection if I have the one that holds do many memories there in my collection.

Here is the current state of my falcon at this moment in time.

image_zpsc517acac.jpg

image_zps5ccb48a4.jpg

image_zps707e6595.jpg

image_zps024d820e.jpg

image_zpsb41277eb.jpg

As you can see its in a pretty beat up state but I'm hopeful I can sort it out. God knows how the chess table survived, shame the decals have come off it.

I'm pretty good at electronics and hoping I'll be able to get them working.

I found a shell of an old falcon at a charity shop around four months ago which I bought for 50p. I bought it for the reason it still had its electronics in it and it's original screws so I'm hopeful they'll come in handy.

image_zps7004b775.jpg

Is picture is the shell I bought which you never know may come in handy.

I also have these few loose pieces, not sure where or when I got them.

image_zpsa2bff77d.jpg

So that is my current project, I'll put up pics as I hopefully improve and restore it.

If anyone has got any tips or tricks for any of the restoration I'd really appreciate it.

Dismantling it this evening, let's hope I know how to put it back together again.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
I have purchased both parts for the Gunner chair on here yesterday and hopefully buying three more parts that I need off him also but if anyone has anyone reasonably priced parts that I'm missing please get in touch, as you can see they're badly required.

Also does anyone know if it's possible to remove the original decals and how, and if they are removable what's the best way to put them back on again after I've cleaned up the plastic.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Have also purchased a chess table, smugglers hatch and radar dish stand so another Ree pieces knocked off my needed list.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Just taken me an entire hour to remove 9 screws from the bottom of the ship.

Expected it to take two minutes but they weren't wanting to come out, bit of elbow grease and a can of WD40 done the trick

Palifan

Sith Lord
Boba Skinner said:
Just taken me an entire hour to remove 9 screws from the bottom of the ship.

Expected it to take two minutes but they weren't wanting to come out, bit of elbow grease and a can of WD40 done the trick

Not sure if you noticed this but it might be of some help if you didn't -

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18941

All the best with it! :D

Ian

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Cheers pal

Did see that thread but haven't watched them so will go and watch the Falcon videos in because I think.

Thing is in pieces now ready for a big clean up over next couple of days.

mumbo

Sith Lord
Great idea and a fine decision to resurrect your childhood Falcon 8)

fuzzybuzzytoys

Sith Lord
My childhood Falcon was my first restoration project too. What a great toy the Falcon is.

Question, for any missing stickers, are you going to go repro or wait until a sticker sheet turns up??

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
fuzzybuzzytoys said:
My childhood Falcon was my first restoration project too. What a great toy the Falcon is.

Question, for any missing stickers, are you going to go repro or wait until a sticker sheet turns up??

I haven't thought too much about it to be honest, I'm hoping I don't have many missing but will stay away from the Repro stickers I think I'd rather have the original and if I have to wait a while to pick them up then so be it.

fuzzybuzzytoys

Sith Lord
Boba Skinner said:
fuzzybuzzytoys said:

I haven't thought too much about it to be honest, I'm hoping I don't have many missing but will stay away from the Repro stickers I think I'd rather have the original and if I have to wait a while to pick them up then so be it.

Correct, go to the top of the class :)

Section 8

Sith Lord
I don't know why you would want to take off the decals as they look pretty good, and would not recommend removing them at all.

But if you must, you can get them off cleanly by soaking them for minute or two, in warm water and letting them fully dry ( not near a fire, radiator or in sunlight). They should lift off afterwards if not fully I'd repeat the process instead of pulling them off ( Some may only partially unstick so don't rush it). Small amount of Pritt stick could get them back on.

I'll send some spare original loose decals with the parts you've bought, just in case you make a balls up. :mrgreen:

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
I've removed a couple of damaged decals off the top but the rest I'm trying to clean it up best I can without removing them.

I did consider bleaching it but again decided against it, cleaning it up and taking off the dirt is all I'm going to do, I don't mind a bit of yellowing shows that bit of age and wear, cleaning up is a big old job hardly done any of it so far but taken an age, even got my wife on it with a brush cleaning out the detailed parts.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Section 8 said:
I don't know why you would want to take off the decals as they look pretty good, and would not recommend removing them at all.

But if you must, you can get them off cleanly by soaking them for minute or two, in warm water and letting them fully dry ( not near a fire, radiator or in sunlight). They should lift off afterwards if not fully I'd repeat the process instead of pulling them off ( Some may only partially unstick so don't rush it). Small amount of Pritt stick could get them back on.

I'll send some spare original loose decals with the parts you've bought, just in case you make a balls up. :mrgreen:

Spare decals would be really appreciated pal

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
Looking for the following parts for my falcon restoration

Radar
Cockpit cover with glass
Gun - FOUND
Training remote/ball complete

I believe this is all I now require

Would be appreciated if anyone has any of these parts

Big love x x

Thought I'd post my wanted falcon parts list on here on the hope someone else may see it who doesn't use the wanted section. Looking for these parts urgently if anyone can help

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Great u decided to go with ur original childhood Falcon 8)
The sentimental value is so much more than commercial value in many ways and ultimately why we all collect with such passion today :D

Looking forward to seeing ur Falcon restored to its former glory Pal :D

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
palitoyjunky said:
Great u decided to go with ur original childhood Falcon 8)
The sentimental value is so much more than commercial value in many ways and ultimately why we all collect with such passion today :D

Looking forward to seeing ur Falcon restored to its former glory Pal :D

Echo everything you've said - really enjoying doing it as well

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom