Newbie question ? AFA loose

xaar

Padawan
Hi all, newbie question for the same price you prefer buy Afa 85 bagged or afa U85 or afa 90 not U ?

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
A baggie figure would be the best, as a baggie figure still retains its packaging (whereas a loose figure is, well.. loose!).

Also a U grade on a figure means it's been actually ripped off a card at the time of grading and this is frowned on. In fact some facebook groups actually ban the sale of U graded items (this forum bans the buying/selling of them too), so I would steer well clear of any with the U designation.

MarkG

Jedi Master
Yes, U grade items will command more money as they have effectively been untouched by human hands....but, people who have had this done are destroying carded figures... even if the card is battered, it's still worth something to someone as a cheaper option to buying a mint carded figure.

Also, you can buy just as good loose figures without the U grade anyway... why waste your money on them ??

All the time people buy U graded stuff, it's putting money in the hands of people that have no respect for this hobby.

lejackal

Grand Master
It's a disgusting, disgraceful and damaging practice that destroys a finite resource.
Don't buy them, don't sell them and ffs don't do it yourself.

jared007

Padawan
With regards to original question - for me I'd go the AFA90 over the baggie. Can't see a figure properly in the baggie and not all baggie figures are "perfect". Some left the factory with tarnishes etc inside the bag.

Have to say though, I'd go for a decent loose figure as a preference anytime!

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Sufficient?

Sufficient for what? If you're a collector rather than an entrepreneur, looking to profit from the hobby, grades make little to no difference (generally), in fact as the grades are merely opinions some would argue that they are meaningless. Further more, there are many examples of collectibles in the hobby (such as a recently found card back (Jason Joiner/Jason Smith discussed at FF this weekend) that wouldn't grade at all well as it has litho tears where the bubble was removed, but is possibly the only one in the world.. value is not about grade and grade cannot determine an item's true worth.

U grades, simply = NO
Baggies are great! :D

lejackal

Grand Master
xaar said:
Sufficient to have a good minimum quality
You don't need graded to find a good quality figure, you need a little time and patience combined with a spot of research and open eyes.
Try looking in the for sale section on here, you pretty much won't go wrong.

xaar

Padawan
I also want a graded for a storage issue without risking damage to the figurine and avoid the fake, I specify that I search for jawa vynil cape, DT luke and smaggletooth

lejackal

Grand Master
xaar said:
I also want a graded for a storage issue without risking damage to the figurine and avoid the fake, I specify that I search for jawa vynil cape, DT luke and smaggletooth
For DT Luke I would recommend UKG grading over AFA as they display the saber far better

xaar

Padawan
lejackal said:
xaar said:
:eek: yes it is a big problem, it happens regularly?
some examples lie within this thread -
http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5371&p=77368

thanks for the link, it is scary.

I guess afa regrades the figurines in acrilyc boxes ??

xaar

Padawan
I am currently watching a DT luke afa U85 but now I am afraid that it arrives in several pieces :shock: :eek:

lejackal

Grand Master
xaar said:
I am currently watching a DT luke afa U85 but now I am afraid that it arrives in several pieces :shock: :eek:
To reiterate - U grades are bad for the hobby, no one will thank you for discussing them, buying them and you certainly can't showcase or sell them

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
SAVORY100 said:
Further more, there are many examples of collectibles in the hobby (such as a recently found card back (Jason Joiner/Jason Smith discussed at FF this weekend) that wouldn't grade at all well as it has litho tears where the bubble was removed, but is possibly the only one in the world.. value is not about grade and grade cannot determine an item's true worth.

What's the card back? Inquiring minds want to know...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom