Poll threads

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
I think it's getting better, I've noticed you have been more active lately? Or is that just me. I don't know really, when you think about a lot of long term members don't post that often any more. I guess everyone has stuff going on at different times and perhaps that's the best thing about the forum, members will always return after time, like they were never gone. :)

The recent polls have really stimulated the forum and we have Lars to thank for that.

Any new members are going to think that's all that happens here though, as been previously stated, it's not the polls as such or the author, it's how it's set up and appears on the main chat page. A new sub section will sort that and it seems the lads are already on the case.

As for old members, I've noticed a lot of the ususal crew have gone quiet, and not just here, but on FB and at shows. There seems to be a core group online and at events who are SWFUK till they die and I consider myself one of them. I think with the new film now starting to gather pace in terms of wider public awareness and The Mandalorian that looks like it will spark a new era altogether for SW, we'll see the forum getting more traffic.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
I appreciate everything Lars does with the Polls and the figures of the week threads, he's certainly active and helps keep the forum fresh with daily posts on both his poll competitions and the FOTW threads.

but I must admit I can see where Mark is coming from and have had the same conversation with several members from here whom maybe don't post as much as they use to. I think the general consensus is that the polls and FOTW are great but sometimes if multiple of these topics have been bumped then the entire opening page in the Vintage Collecting Chat is these topics. I'm aware of a couple of people who haven't posted 'informative threads' for a better expression in the thought that within 24 hours it would be buried beneath these threads and not commented on or discussed in depth as maybe they once were.

I run the Forum figure of the year each year and I think a sub forum for these polls and the FOTW are a brilliant idea, keeps the fun polls and the great FOTW threads alive and will free up the main Vintage Chat forum for Vintage Chat. Hopefully we'll see some of the older guys start some threads again and share their wealth of knowledge so we can all learn new things, I learnt so much from this forum when I first started back out.

Looks like the admin team on here have already got this in hand and will soon be nailed though.

Cheers Lars for putting the effort into the forum though, I think everyone agrees you're a vital part of the SWFUK community.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
I think scrolling down and seeing what's in Iraq he this evening is what Mark is eluding too and if I was a new member I'd think this is all the forum is when it's so much more

D94E275B-B3C6-46D4-9994-3B29072A2048.jpeg

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Yeah as I said in my first post, a Poll section is a great idea. Are we going to have a Poll to decide if we should have a seperate section for Polls then? :lol:

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
Yeah as I said in my first post, a Poll section is a great idea. Are we going to have a Poll to decide if we should have a seperate section for Polls then? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Thanks guys for all the kind words :D

I agree we could use a Poll threads sub forum :D

But I am not sure about toy of the week sub forum :? that is the only thing that confuse me, I could fear that not so many will see them and add in them, I must also admit I am way behind with sharing my own items in toy of the week, but when I get time I will add my pictures in the older threads that I have not added to yet. When I started them I thought about doing 1 thread every week but after a discussion on the forum I learned it would take 5 years to get through all the toy with only one post every week. But if I had done one thread every week then I would have more time to add my own items, I think. I do not know if it would give more space for other threads if I only do one thread every week with the last 57 toy items :?

But then again I could also see it as a good idea that toy of the week has it's own sub forum when we have done all the toys so new members can see what we have shared with each other :?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
A separate thread for polls is a good idea, in my opinion.

Regarding the TOTW threads, they are effectively a type of visual reference, so perhaps they could have a dedicated sub-section within the 'Vintage Reference Library' section? That way, each time a new TOTW thread is started in that new section, a new single post could still be made in the 'Vintage Collecting Chat' section announcing the new TOTW thread and containing a link to it. That would mean there would be just 2 new TOTW posts made to 'Vintage Collecting Chat' each week, keeping down the number of posts / threads in that section whilst still making it easy for contributors and visitors to find the new TOTW threads if they wish to.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
I'd like the Toys Of The Week and polls seperated off from the main forum, if this is a makeshift poll. :)

I'd be more inclined to look at the TOTW chat if the threads were titled with the name of the toy rather than week numbers,etc. I like voting in the polls but have got a bit lost - hey I get lost easily.

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
I'm in agreement for the polls and TOTW to have a separate page on the board. I love the threads and wouldn't want to see them stop, but they do kind of take over the main forum.

olisuds

Sith Lord
I think the polls and FOTW threads are great however it definitely feels that they have flooded the forum a bit. I think it would help if FOTW was just reduced to one a week. Also I've mentioned this before but why does the title / subject line not mention what the actual figure is? Having a whole page of threads with no details in the title doesn't encourage people to post in them.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Sorry guys I was on holiday last week so have only just caught up on this. I think the general consesus is everyone likes both the polls and TOTW, however they need moving elsewhere. I agree another poll to discuss this would be fairly ridiculous, so is everyone happy with:

- A new 'Polls' sub-forum under 'Vintage Star Wars Collecting'
- Moving all 'Figure/Toy etc of the week' threads to the Vintage Reference Library, but with a sticky thread in this main forum linking to them? That would also solve the problem of not knowing what they are (the link could have the figure/toy name)

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Sorry guys I was on holiday last week so have only just caught up on this. I think the general consesus is everyone likes both the polls and TOTW, however they need moving elsewhere. I agree another poll to discuss this would be fairly ridiculous, so is everyone happy with:

- Moving all 'Figure/Toy etc of the week' threads to the Vintage Reference Library, but with a sticky thread in this main forum linking to them? That would also solve the problem of not knowing what they are (the link could have the figure/toy name)
Sounds good to me. :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
olisuds said:
I think the polls and FOTW threads are great however it definitely feels that they have flooded the forum a bit. I think it would help if FOTW was just reduced to one a week. Also I've mentioned this before but why does the title / subject line not mention what the actual figure is? Having a whole page of threads with no details in the title doesn't encourage people to post in them.

Thanks mate :D last week I only did one thread, if people like that, then I will do it with the rest of the threads. I can try to add the actual item in the subject line, but I fear it some times will be to long :?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
olisuds said:

Thanks mate :D last week I only did one thread, if people like that, then I will do it with the rest of the threads. I can try to add the actual item in the subject line, but I fear it some times will be to long :?

It's exciting not knowing what the toy of the week is until you open the thread. If you can't be bothered to click on it then you don't deserve to know. :lol:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:

If members are happy with that, then I am also happy. I can try to change the names on each thread when I get some time for it :?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
theforceuk said:
Pomse2001 said:
olisuds said:

It's exciting not knowing what the toy of the week is until you open the thread. If you can't be bothered to click on it then you don't deserve to know. :lol:

I agree about that we can miss the surprise, but since I do the thread, then I do not get surprised :lol: let me know what other members think :wink:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
New polling sub forum now created, and all recent polls moved there:

https://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=31

Vintage chat is looking a bit tidier now :) Still thinking about what/if to do anything with the 'toy of the week' posts.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Thanks Edd. My 10p's worth is I'd personally like to see TOTW threads split off too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom