Price rises over ten years

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I think price rises in Palitoy MOC have been kept lower as a result of all the private sales meaning we have been sheltered from a lot of meteoric price rises seen in America as a result of auctions like Hakes. Loose figures seem to have seen bigger increases as most of them seem to be sold publucly.

kvavik

Jedi Knight
I think many collectors have a bit better economy today than 2010. Personally I was still a student, and did not start before 2012 when I started to have disposable income. I have a feeling market will reach top when people are 50-60. I dont see the younger generation lusting for a set of 12 backs anytime soon.

Paul1976

Padawan
So it looks like I picked a great time to start recollecting Star Wars toys again doesn't it! Interesting thread though, thanks guys.

With caution it seems some complete loose figures are still affordable and my baby collection is growing, thanks in no small part to the excellent community here.

P

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Darth Bobby said:
I can imagine Star Wars collecting was much more fun back then. Not only price wise but also in attitude. Not as many bellends, people showing off and wasting massive sums of money on overpriced items. Also so much less bickering and moaning? Wonder what it'll be like in 10 years time?

It was certainly different and better in some ways, but there were downsides too. What was available was so limited, it's not like now where you can look on eBay and buy almost whatever you want right now if money is no object. I never saw a carded Luke Bespin for sale during the 90s, he was one I really wanted but eluded me until eBay came along.

Also I'd love to see these grade chasers collecting back then, MOC meant the figure was on the card but there could be cracks, holes, litho tears, sellotape, marker pen etc. You very rarely saw a 'MOMC' figure. In fact one of the nicest pieces in my collection back then would probably be considered a beater MOC now because it has a big crease on it, even though the bubble and rest of the card are really nice.

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
Edd Is there a way I can view my eBay selling history from 10 years ago? I bought and sold a LOT of mocs during this period. It's how I paid for most of my collection. Back then you could make a lot of money buying in the USA and selling in the UK.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
Darth Bobby said:
I can imagine Star Wars collecting was much more fun back then. Not only price wise but also in attitude. Not as many bellends, people showing off and wasting massive sums of money on overpriced items. Also so much less bickering and moaning? Wonder what it'll be like in 10 years time?

It was certainly different and better in some ways, but there were downsides too. What was available was so limited, it's not like now where you can look on eBay and buy almost whatever you want right now if money is no object. I never saw a carded Luke Bespin for sale during the 90s, he was one I really wanted but eluded me until eBay came along.

Also I'd love to see these grade chasers collecting back then, MOC meant the figure was on the card but there could be cracks, holes, litho tears, sellotape, marker pen etc. You very rarely saw a 'MOMC' figure. In fact one of the nicest pieces in my collection back then would probably be considered a beater MOC now because it has a big crease on it, even though the bubble and rest of the card are really nice.

Yeah I guess it's easy to be romantic about the past. There are loads of advantages now like you say, finding and buying stuff is a lot easier but the overal hobby feels a bit like the Wild West sometimes.

poncho

Grand Master
TWOFOOT said:
Edd Is there a way I can view my eBay selling history from 10 years ago? I bought and sold a LOT of mocs during this period. It's how I paid for most of my collection. Back then you could make a lot of money buying in the USA and selling in the UK.
go to paypal history and you select year and go through your transactions. when you click on a transaction it gives you the item details.

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
poncho said:
TWOFOOT said:
go to paypal history and you select year and go through your transactions. when you click on a transaction it gives you the item details.
Only seems to let me go back 3 years. :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom