Sell v keeping hold in case value increases?

owler

Youngling
Evening all

I'm starting to sell off various individual loose figures, but before I go mad and list the lot, what do people think about selling now v keeping hold until later?

Do any of you think, 'I'll give it another 10 years as the value should increase'?

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

Cheers!

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
Hi ,

With collecting Star Wars there are no guarantees, it can change from day to day . Most of us are collectors on here and enjoy the collecting to finish a focus or a complete collection.

Prices are probably on the high side now , but on loose figures there is no shortage of them , unless you have rare ones , also depends on condition and if they are complete , so it's up to you not sure waiting another 10 years will increase the value

Cheers

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I don't think I'll give it another anything, I collect them because I like them. No intention of selling now or whenever. If you don't like them may as well sell them, holding onto loose figures as an investment for the future prob won't fund your retirement.

Tenebrous

Padawan
As someone who's mostly got loose figures, I love getting them, I can't really buy moc's I'd love too though, for me when I get a decent loose, or one I haven't got it makes my day.
I'm not going to retire selling what I've got but, I couldn't care less, I love having them.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
If you have no emotional attachment to the figures (are you sure you wont regret selling them in years to come) I would sell them on this forum now. 10 years will not see their value increase much, value is a simple case of what people are willing to spend on them and now is the sweet spot, guys that were kids in the 70s and 80s put more value on these figures because of nostalgia but 10 years from now we'll be spending our money on pipes and slippers :lol:

owler

Youngling
Thanks all. Yeah, no attachment to the job lot I have as i bought them for my kids who can't be arsed with them. My attachment was to my original toys I had as a kid, and as my Dad reminded me the other day, he put my M Falcon on the bonfire. Jesus...

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
What a crime :eek: :lol:

Don't hold onto them to try and make money, hold onto them because u love em :!:

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
A while ago I found some old pages I'd printed off from ebay years ago and for most of the figures there wasn't much of a difference between the old prices and the current prices. There are afew notable exceptions Yak, VCJ, mint first 12 for Luke, Leia etc., R2 pop-up but not many others.

Definitely not worth holding most of them just for afew extra quid in a few years.

Jedi_june

Sith Lord
I myself Sold my near complete loose set with my be spin Luke focus and squid head focus and I totally regret it. :cry: Sometimes I know people gotta do what they gotta do but just make sure that it comes from the heart. Nothing wrong with holding on to them for awhile to null it over but if your intention to sell is for a big profit then I'd sell em now.

When will you list the figures for sale? I might be interested in some, as in looking to start my collection again. I miss my figures a lot, and I miss the community especially this forum. The guys here will cherish any figs you sell on here.

Peace
June

x-pack

Grand Master
I would only sell doubles of things I have. Even then it wouldn't be a decision I made lightly. It must all depend on how much love you have for your collection. Most like June fall out of love with collecting and sell on, then later regret it (Hi by the way June. Long time no see :) )

Value-wise it seems things are at a peak. If prices continue to go up I would be amazed. We'll all be millionaires! :lol: ...as long as you then don't start buying things at today's prices :roll:

WuhersStall

Padawan
We don't own these figures, we're just holding them for a while. Sooner or later, everything gets sold.

I don't have much experience with SW but I have a lot of experience with sportscards. So if you'll permit me, I'll attempt to draw an (admittedly loose) correlation.

In the past 24 months, we've seen record prices for items that originated in the 1970s. Many assumed it was a bubble and waited for it to burst. But it hasn't yet, and prices continue to escalate. It's likely due to the generation that collected them as a kid just now starting to enter their high "disposable income" phase of their lives. This has happened in the past with older material.

I think the new films have brought a lot of attention to the vintage items but I think it's also a case of having the generation that collected these items as a kid entering their high disposable income days. My friends that are 4-6 years older than me are sharing their love of Star Wars with their children and some are going back and rekindling the joy the toys brought them in their youth.

I suspect the majority of this board is what would be considered "die hard collectors" and I also suspect that there's going to be a large influx of new collectors in the market. I would be surprised if the prices being seen today are the peak.

Like I said, this is just a loose correlation and there's no telling what the future will bring. But in my brief time on this board and watching the SW market, I've already seen other trends that mirror what has happened in the sportscard industry in the past. I guess only time will tell. But these items have value so no matter how much we may love them, there's no point in pretending they don't.

Just my two cents.

Arthur

stormcab

Sith Lord
I find the concept of saving up for retirement quite annoying. Putting money away that, basically, you'll very unlikely get to spend the last penny of anyway. You could die tomorrow, 5 years, 20 years, 50s years from now, and still have a big chunk of money tucked away "just in case".

I'll collect Star Wars MOCs as long as I can, and I can look at and enjoy them. If I need a little extra money, I can sell something. Money sitting there can't be enjoyed, but a Star Wars collection sure can. Just leave instructions in your will of how to sell it properly for the person(s) you leave it all to. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom