Suggestion for displaying/protecting cut bubble mocs

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Last year I picked up the 4 cantina aliens from a childhood collection, all with cut bubbles, and have just got round to displaying them.

The severity of the cuts varies, hammerhead is the worst with 3 sides neatly sliced but greedo has a pretty ragged tear down one side. Here's some pics with my lovely assistant showing where the cuts are.

20170109_194318_zpsj0djg04p.jpg

20170109_1944150_zpsorekdvim.jpg

20170109_194639_zpszyjsictr.jpg

Can anyone suggest a good way of displaying them that will protect the bubble? I was going to scotch tape them and carefully put them in acrylic but wondered if there was a more sophisticated solution?

Cheers

Palifan

Sith Lord
I have a large collection of cut bubble/resealed Palitoy figures and it is quite difficult to do much with the bubbles. I did manage to use a tiny amount of super glue on the very edge of a cut bubble that has still held together but it's quite delicate. I feel it's best to avoid using any sort of tape other than maybe double sided if it's under the flap of the bubble seal and you won't see it. I've always used a very thin layer of glue on the bubble seal if the bubble has been oped and there's still some paper left on the bubble seal. This means you can't see the glue and makes for a great bond but as mentioned cut bubbles really are the most difficult to do anything with.

look forward to seeing if anyone else has any thoughts on this and also to seeing your set displayed. I tried to buy the Hammerhead myself but missed the boat before it was taken off of facebook. I am glad to see them end up together though and at a good home. It's great that the footers are there and that you're doing what you can to display these pieces the way they deserve. One thing I have done in the past is cut out the name plate from a beater card back and insert it into the hole where it's missing one. It looks like you would be able to do this with at least a couple of yours successfully as the damage looks to be inside the silver part of the name plate. Get yourself a sharp scalpel (model knife), and cut out the name plate from a beater (all of the silver part included), and then removed the remaining silver part from yours and marry them up. Use a Rule and take your time and it should look great from the front (you will find the back probably won't match even if you use a Palitoy 20 back card but it never worried me as I don't tend to look much at the back of the cards and you do have a complete Greedo one).

Hope that's of some help.

Ian

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Thanks for the great response Ian, I'm a little nervous about gluing the edge, i might give cling film a try as that can be near invisible but if it fails i will have to go with the scotch tape - unfortunately hammerhead is so fragile I really need to do something with the bubble.

I had a thought about the greedo and decided ill try and melt the ragged edge out. :eek: Don't worry, I won't take the missus hair straighteners to it and have a clever idea how to sort it.

I think I'll print the nameplates out myself as I can't bear to cut up anything vintage. Either that or get lucky and find a loose one.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on the bubbles?

aussiejames

Sith Lord
Double bubble method : http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1109387
& then use the toploader method to hold it all in place. That will keep a nameplate in place as well- no glue, no tape, all non permanent.
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1117762

Palifan

Sith Lord
aussiejames said:
Double bubble method : http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1109387
& then use the toploader method to hold it all in place. That will keep a nameplate in place as well- no glue, no tape, all non permanent.
http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1117762

That's a good idea James. I have a 20 back Palitoy Walrusman with a failed bubble that I'm going to try the Toploader idea on and I do have a Kenner reseal with retro bubble stuck over it (although though original bubble was removed first and only the bubble seal remained attached to the card.

Good to see there are other options out there.

Ian

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Thanks a lot James, that's a great suggestion. Once I've got aplenty the bits ill post a few pics to show how I got on.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Thanks for the info guys, great thread. I have a 20-back Palitoy Snaggletooth with partially cut bubble (yup, that guy over there on the left) which I hope to try this on in the near future.

Just one question; where's the best place to get a suitable bubble?

Palifan

Sith Lord
The toploader method is great as long as you're trying to hold a bubble back in place where the flat seal part of the bubble has come away from the card back. Also it's great for attaching a repo bubble to a card back without glueing it but if you're putting another bubble over the top of an existing bubble that's been cut then you'll need a larger bubble than the original one and I'm not sure how good it will look with doubling up on the plastic and also the size being off. It'll be interesting to see the results but as mentioned the toploader technique to hold an original bubble back in place is a great idea.

Ian

x-pack

Grand Master
peekaygee73 said:
Thanks for the info guys, great thread. I have a 20-back Palitoy Snaggletooth with partially cut bubble (yup, that guy over there on the left) which I hope to try this on in the near future.

Only from very shady sources. I have an R5D4 card that's been done that way, with a repro bubble over the original. Looks very nice.

Whatever you do (and this might sound obvious) don't use glue or tape to fix the bubble to the card.

I'm not going into where to get bubbles but they are out there.

Palifan

Sith Lord
x-pack said:
peekaygee73 said:

Only from very shady sources. I have an R5D4 card that's been done that way, with a repro bubble over the original. Looks very nice.

Whatever you do (and this might sound obvious) don't use glue or tape to fix the bubble to the card.

Hey x-pact, do you have a picture of your R5 with the double bubble on it as I'd love to see it?

Ian

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
x-pack said:
peekaygee73 said:

Cheers, I thought that might be the case. And don't worry, there's no glue or tape going anywhere near that card! :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom