The forum is silent

MrGudz

Jedi Master
Supporter
In all due respect, most forums I go on for a variety of interests have not only a Like button but other reaction options…

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Classic example I just clicked the like button on @Frunkstar post and wasn't going to reply. Great to see you posting Frank and perhaps we only have ourselves to blame for the lazy hitting of the like button?

**** mate we are all guilty as charged, it's a neat little feature to let someone know you approve of their post without going into great detail in a reply when you have not a lot to say, but like all systems that make our lives a little easier, it also breeds laziness & often a post that could have been of a lot of help to the OP goes unwritten, I think it detracts more than it brings to the table myself

poncho

Grand Master
I've been thinking recently of all the bits I've passed on over the past 20 years. I regret it now because those items now are in the current market have a extra 0 on! Still that's the collecting game for you lol

sith-smith

Grand Master
**** mate we are all guilty as charged, it's a neat little feature to let someone know you approve of their post without going into great detail in a reply when you have not a lot to say, but like all systems that make our lives a little easier, it also breeds laziness & often a post that could have been of a lot of help to the OP goes unwritten, I think it detracts more than it brings to the table myself
The concept in itself is not bad. It's just how people have a tendency to use it, i.e. instead of commenting.

Thing is though, you could argue that it is no different to people just typing 'nice' 'cool' 'awesome' ultimately if someone has something to say they will type it.

It comes down to how lazy people are/want to be and the extent to which removing it would increase posts/meaningful posts

Pomse2001

Grand Master
The concept in itself is not bad. It's just how people have a tendency to use it, i.e. instead of commenting.

Thing is though, you could argue that it is no different to people just typing 'nice' 'cool' 'awesome' ultimately if someone has something to say they will type it.

It comes down to how lazy people are/want to be and the extent to which removing it would increase posts/meaningful posts
I agree with you (y)

Gadders

Padawan
The "like" functionality has its place. Probably more so in Latest Acquisitions than a thread like this..

The "real" solution is to change peoples mindsets - get people back in the habit of replying to posts like the good old days. It looks like we've taken a good few steps along that path already this week, so just need to keep it up. Although sooner or later, we need some new posts as there's only so much you can say on this subject and whether you're collecting or not.

sith-smith

Grand Master
Agreed. I think the like button is there when perhaps you don't have anything really to say but still want to acknowledge something. As I said it's like a quicker way of posts that says 'cool'etc.

In terms of new threads that may open up more posts/discussion, I guess there is the danger of repeating ones from years ago - but if we have a lot of new membership that shouldn't be a problem (Things like why do you collect, favourite SW toy memory etc) and of course some of the older members (I've been here since 2006) sometimes change views/feelings etc.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Yes you've certainly helped breathe life back into the forum @Pomse2001 well done and thanks! I've seen more action on this forum in the last week than I've had in bed in the last decade of marriage.
Thanks but I could not have done it without Blackbeard pm to all members (y) I hope it will not stop and more members will come back or more online on the forum :)

Gogsfett

Padawan
Hi All, just scrolling through this thread. Lots of interesting points and comments.
For me I'm not on FB, never been tempted and although can see some benefits. For me mainly just a place where folk can big themselves up, post absolute irelevamt nonsense and attention seek, although on the odd occasion, can see a benefit and worthwhile use.
Star wars wise, this forum had been tremendous for information and really really helped me with any questions I have had from the wealth of knowledge on here.
No doubt prices have sky rocketed and almost putting me out the game. Happy enough with what I have, but always looking for some decent buys.
Toy fairs for me which were plentiful up here in Scotland were first to dry up, then some of the high street comic and toy shops were next, but still a huge market, now just all online!
Let's keep contributing where we can on here, take the positives from the new shows like Mando, Andor, obi-wan etc.. (Mando 1st season 3 episode was very good).😀

All the best for now folks!

lejackal

Grand Master
On the subject of the like button it does make you a bit lazier, this was demonstrated a few years back when an Echo admin showed some of their group interaction stats. The average word or character count of responses was pretty damning

Latest posts

Top Bottom