UKG reject Palitoy BSG - Buyer now wants refund!!

itfciain

Grand Master
I think people are a bit too quick to shout scam. Lee is right, if AFA reject an item then the send a form back saying why and highlight the areas (and this will be dated as well)

Put yourself in the buyers shoes, he's asked if there were any touch ups (and therefore planed to send it to AFA) - was told there weren't and has spent a large sum on money on the item. He has then spent even more on sending it to AFA only to be told it failed. I would be pretty narked and looking for my money back if that had happened to me and would think that others would too. I don't think Chaz is in the wrong and he did genuinely think that there weren't any touch ups - I have to say that this is far more likely than the guy happening to have a spare one, compleet with touch ups that he wanted to replace.

It is a very difficult situation and I feel for Cahz but at the end of the day, if you buy an item that has been restored and weren't advised about it (even if the seller didn't know) then I think you have a right to your money back

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Is it even possible for an item to be sent to AFA, graded, and returned in 3 weeks? Last time I did it it took over 2 months. I'd say it's impossible to send a figure and receive it back within the 45 days Paypal allow to claim (not to mention deducting however long it took to get the figure to him in the first place.)

I agree, you need proof of the grading rejection.

itfciain

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
Is it even possible for an item to be sent to AFA, graded, and returned in 3 weeks? Last time I did it it took over 2 months. I'd say it's impossible to send a figure and receive it back within the 45 days Paypal allow to claim (not to mention deducting however long it took to get the figure to him in the first place.)

I agree, you need proof of the grading rejection.

Edd, looking at Chaz's original post, it looks like the figure hasn't arrived back yet - the seller has just had notification, by email, that the item failed - this is definately possible within 3 weeks

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
So he doesn't even have it back yet? Surely he's not expecting you to give him a refund before you even have it back. In that case you have plenty of time to think about it, even eBay or Paypal won't refund him until he can prove you have it back.

2stripes

Jedi Master
If he can provide dated proof of rejection by AFA due to ink touch ups and you're confident the item returned is the same one and all is above board I would agree that a refund is due because he had asked about ink touch ups prior to buying.

I note the crease across the front of the BSG on the cardback though and I'm wondering if it would grade as high as the buyer would have wanted so I would insist on as much proof as possible, even try contacting the AFA to see if you can gather any info.

This is just one of those unfortunate situations, I don't think you or the buyer is at fault. I would try and make them see that but also how you are just trying to cover yourself against fraud. If he sees you are open to a refund if all is above board, this can still be dealt with in an amicable fashion, he might even mean be less inclined to press for you to cover AFA grading costs, shipping etc so I would try to avoid too much conflict on this.

Good luck either way, I do feel your pain!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
2stripes said:
he might even mean be less inclined to press for you to cover AFA grading costs

That is ABSOLUTELY not your problem/responsibility. If he asks you to do that, reply with a flat and firm no. You were selling an action figure, not an AFA gift voucher. If he chose to grade it, that's his business.

I do agree that it's just bad luck on both parts if you didn't realise and he's telling the truth.

2stripes

Jedi Master
edd_jedi said:
2stripes said:

That is ABSOLUTELY not your problem/responsibility. If he asks you to do that, reply with a flat and firm no. You were selling an action figure, not an AFA gift voucher. If he chose to grade it, that's his business.

I do agree that it's just bad luck on both parts if you didn't realise and he's telling the truth.

Ooh that was pretty forceful Edd I'm impressed :D yeah I agree it's not his responsibility, just something that might crop up and a road you don't want to go down.

plantman

Sith Lord
This sounds like a scam to me, i would ask him to provide the proof that afa have refused it, and if this is correct you ask him to send the item back for a full refund, this will make him think again

i bet he is after a partial refund, dont fall for it, offer him a full refund on return of the item in the exact condition you got it.

I recently had a female buyer say an item wasnt as described, i said a full refund, she said she would settle for partial (i knew what she said wasnt true) i said i was travelling her way and i would pick it up and give her the cash back if she wanted, she then left me positive feedback and didnt reply....

plantman

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
2stripes said:

if he has an afa report to say its been touched up then it is "not as described" in their eyes and he will get a refund, i wouldnt offer anything until you have proof, and unless you got an astounding price for it, dont even offer a partial refund.

if afa rejected it, then pen has to be covering damage, if it was just pen on the card they would just downgrade it

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hi Andy, I hope you get the problem solved with the buyer.

This is so sick, now we have to use UV light so see if there is any touch ups on a moc before we sell them and when we buy a moc.

I would have done the same Andy and I never thought about writing anything special on the auction if I had a moc for sale on ebay.
I would maybe only have been writing what you see is what you get and showed good pictures of the moc.

Is that not enough anymore :?

chazb73

Sith Lord
Thanks for you input guys - and I take all points on board

I feel for the guy if it is all above board etc. He stated it was AFA initially but it was UK graders it was sent to - he sent the email last night.

I'm concerned that I start refunding (I will have to break my collection up to do this) that I might not get the figure back - In the past folk have wanted their item back from me before any refund - thoughts on this?

plantman

Sith Lord
chazb73 said:

I feel for the guy if it is all above board etc. He stated it was AFA initially but it was UK graders it was sent to - he sent the email last night.

I'm concerned that I start refunding (I will have to break my collection up to do this) that I might not get the figure back - In the past folk have wanted their item back from me before any refund - thoughts on this?

Do not refund until you have the figure back!! also contact steve at UKG and and have a chat with him about the touch ups, if they were just marks on the card then it shouldnt be refused, only if the pen is covering damage.

2stripes

Jedi Master
plantman said:
chazb73 said:

Do not refund until you have the figure back!! also contact steve at UKG and and have a chat with him about the touch ups, if they were just marks on the card then it shouldnt be refused, only if the pen is covering damage.

UKG would explain the quick turnaround. Why not suggest to the buyer that you email UKG and cc them in for complete visibility. That would probably make Steve happier to disclose info if the email address is the same as the one given during the grading process. That way all three parties are on the same page on this and Steve's explanation should clear things up.

escapist

Jedi Knight
Definitely get in touch with UKG.

I would also query whether Paypal would refund the buyer? As there is no conclusive evidence that fully demonstrate the pen marks were present when the goods arrived with the buyer, surely the buyers claim would fail?

But then again, I guess you could argue 'when did the buyer become reasonably aware' of the pen marks and does that give his claim more weight?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
chazb73 said:

Well there's one lie straight away, that hurts his trustworthiness for a start. Ebay and Paypal won't expect you to refund until you have it back. My advice is get him to return it, once you have had 100% confirmation from UKG that it was refused.

ukgraders

Padawan
Hi everyone just been told to look at this, and I thought I would tell you about the item.
Andy you should ask him why he said he sent it to AFA as that confuses me and probably everyone on here? I could have resolved this for you all straight away....
I hope you don't mind Andy but I have used the pictures from your completed auction on ebay to circle were the ink is so I hope you don't mind me using those images.
Obviously form the auction images you cant see the ink marks but it's more to show you were they are.

The BSG was sent in for grading and we refused as it had ink/pen markings in fact the ink looks at some point part scratched away on the edge of the card but the ink has slightly seeped into the border edge if that makes sense to you?.
The other bit of ink is on the bottom corner but it only covers part of a vein and not all of it.
I hope these pictures make sense from the auction.
To be fair ink touch ups are a nightmare and easily missed the buyer obviously didn't see them before sending it in to us for grading and Andy missed them because they are quite small.

Attachments

• $T2eC16N,!)EE9s2ufhNfBRBYpmSyLQ~~60_58 - Copy.JPG
    $T2eC16N,!)EE9s2ufhNfBRBYpmSyLQ~~60_58 - Copy.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 555
  • $T2eC16N,!)EE9s2ufhNfBRBYpmSyLQ~~60_58.JPG
    $T2eC16N,!)EE9s2ufhNfBRBYpmSyLQ~~60_58.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 557
  • $T2eC16N,!)EE9s2ufhNfBRBYpmSyLQ~~60_58 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    $T2eC16N,!)EE9s2ufhNfBRBYpmSyLQ~~60_58 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 558

chazb73

Sith Lord
ukgraders said:
Hi everyone just been told to look at this, and I thought I would tell you about the item.
Andy you should ask him why he said he sent it to AFA as that confuses me and probably everyone on here? I could have resolved this for you all straight away....
I hope you don't mind Andy but I have used the pictures from your completed auction on ebay to circle were the ink is so I hope you don't mind me using those images.
Obviously form the auction images you cant see the ink marks but it's more to show you were they are.

The BSG was sent in for grading and we refused as it had ink/pen markings in fact the ink looks at some point part scratched away on the edge of the card but the ink has slightly seeped into the border edge if that makes sense to you?.
The other bit of ink is on the bottom corner but it only covers part of a vein and not all of it.
I hope these pictures make sense from the auction.
To be fair ink touch ups are a nightmare and easily missed the buyer obviously didn't see them before sending it in to us for grading and Andy missed them because they are quite small.

Thanks for that mate - appreciate it - such a shame :(
I dont know much abou grading - I'm still learning all this -I had a hunch that it was a genuine problem, the guy seems a civil sort of chap

Once again thanks

I asked when it was sold if it was going to get graded by the AFA and was told yes - that is where the confusion has come from

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom