Unrealistic postage expectations

indianawars

Sith Lord
I thought I'd share an amusing eBay story I had as a seller.
I sold a loose weapon on eBay last Friday night at around 10pm. So, I popped the weapon into a jiffy padded envelope and placed 2 second class stamps on it (as listed, it would be sent second class). I then posted it after work on Saturday... I received a message from the buyer last night (Tuesday) asking me where his item was. I thought to myself, 'Really?!... It's only been 2 working day's.' So I polity messaged back explaining it was posted Saturday second class (Although I had already marked it as shipped on eBay Saturday night anyway). I also mentioned it should be with him within the next few days, but Royal mail second class takes a few more days than first class. Anyway, although I'm 99% sure this guy will open an "item not received case" against me (which is fine as he's now ended up on my eBay block list) I'm more annoyed with the fact he expected to receive it within only a few days. (eBay ID: lazza1373)

2rpyy6s.jpg

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Oh, this is a good topic.

I also love the people that expect next day delivery with full tracking in a bomb proof box, when they've paid only a couple of dollars for shipping with an item description that specifically says it will be shipped in a padded envelope at the cheapest option with no tracking unless they wish to pay more to get those options.

Unfortunately, I've had a couple of those that have figured out that no tracking means they can open a not received case and win their money back as well as keep the item. One guy did this to me two days after he paid, after I replied to his question that there was no tracking.

Idiots.

Ian

itfciain

Grand Master
I suffer from the same messages every week - be it eBay.co.uk, eBay.com, FB and even on here sometimes

I have a feeling that people's expectations as to what is possible have been slanted by both companies like Amazon and by the delivery dates provided by eBay. Everything is expected next day - and people begin to panic if they haven't seen anything within 2 days!

I had one chap over here tell me something must be lost because it hadn't arrived within 3 days of me posting it. Another guy opened a case about me after 5 days - even though the subsequent tracking number showed that I actually posted it on the same day that he purchased it and it has just been delayed in the post

eBay.co.uk is even worse because Royal Mail don't provide any form of tracking if you pay 1st or 2nd class standard postage (which for smaller / cheaper items is the only cost effective way to post) - therefore, as soon as you mention that there is no tracking then the unscrupulous buyer can open a case against you knowing full well that they will win

Neil posts out hundreds of packages for me each month and does it within 1-2 days of receiving the items / order - I post out the same day / next day because I have far more time - but I would think I get about 10-15 messages a week across all mediums asking where things are

indianawars

Sith Lord
I read in the paper that Argos are now doing a same day delivery service, which is great if you employ staff to do that, but when you're an average Joe with a fulltime job, sometimes you can't get the post office that day or the next. You make a good point Iain, some people have become accustomed to the luxury of next day delivery, so I guess they wonder why everyone else can't do the same regardless.

itfciain

Grand Master
God only knows how these guys used to survive before PayPal - when you had to send a cheque, wait for that to arrive and be cashed before your item was even posted out !

lejackal

Grand Master
Well frankly Iain I don't know what else you expect. Do you mean to tell me you can't ship from the states, have the item collected, repacked and on another UK doorstep inside 3 days! :eek: lol

I think you're right that people do (a) take the piss, (b) expect f***ing miracles for the couple of quid postage paid and (c) are too used to Amazon/Next and whoever else offering order before 10pm and get it the next day.

itfciain

Grand Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Hey Iain, where's my bloody Leia Poncho?! I paid you hours ago and nothing!

:D

I can think of one place I could stick it :lol:

I have to admit that it is one of the most frustrating things about selling and has only gotten worse in the last year or so. I really don't understand why people are so impatient - everything is stacked in the buyers deck from eBay / PayPal and if you want to be known as a good seller then you will make it right whatever happens.

Fishtalk

Jedi Knight
Remember the good old days of mail order, when everything had the disclaimer "Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery"? As has been said, people complain nowadays if they have to wait 2 days. Just a sad reflection of our want it now society.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
itfciain said:
eBay.co.uk is even worse because Royal Mail don't provide any form of tracking if you pay 1st or 2nd class standard postage (which for smaller / cheaper items is the only cost effective way to post) - therefore, as soon as you mention that there is no tracking then the unscrupulous buyer can open a case against you knowing full well that they will win

Yeah, that's what I was talking about in my post Iain. Same thing here in Canada - our cheaper options do not have tracking. It's just not economical to ship items with tracking that costs $15 and up for an item that sells under that, and people would rather just buy elsewhere.

Nothing against Americans, as I have plenty of friends there, but many of them have no clue how good they have it on some things, like shipping.

Ian

itfciain

Grand Master
Yes, the US system is great - especially as they have added tracking to every package

As if to prove my point - I have had one message through here and two on FB about items coming over from America today. The two people on FB were told that the box had arrived with Neil at the weekend and would be packed and hopefully posted Monday - yet both have chased me today asking where their package is - seriously guys, short of being able to hand deliver these things then there is not a huge amount I can do - if you put your faith in me to get them delivered to you then please trust me to do so !

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom