Vintage Collection Stolen

Joe

Grand Master
Looks like whoever stole them quickly sold them to a toy shop called Showroom collectibles.. https://www.facebook.com/showroomcollectibles/posts/714427841990774?hc_location=ufi

Looks like the guy will get some of his stuff back as they are working with the police on it!

itfciain

Grand Master
I saw this unfold on FB today - looks like there will be a happy ending. To be honest as scary as it is for collectors to have everything stolen, these sort of items are a lot harder to fence than things like jewelry and electronics. Most have noticeable wear or price tags and just don't come up that often all together

It is a good lesson to have everything detailed though - something I really need to work on!

stormcab

Sith Lord
Yes good to take high res well lit photos of your collection like I have. If you have AFA graded stuff the serial numbers will be a help. If not, make sure you shoot the unique details on your pieces. This is where damage/wear & tear will actually be a help - no 2 pieces will have worn the same way. Although this may be a shocking suggestion, but if there's nothing at all that stands out on a piece, do something yourself - maybe a tiny pin prick or knife cut in a inconspicuous area.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Bad news :!: I hope the guy gets his stuff back because money may well not replace his collection :!:

It takes years and serious effort to acquire some of the pieces we have in our collections and £€$ in compensation will not bring them back :!: :?

With all the crazy SW fever coming back again we need to b extra careful who we tell and show our collections to and what info we disclose on the forums etc :!: :!: :!:

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
Hopefully it will end on a positive note , it would be devastating to loss your collection, no matter how big or small .

Bloody asshole thieves :evil:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
stormcab said:
Yes good to take high res well lit photos of your collection like I have. If you have AFA graded stuff the serial numbers will be a help. If not, make sure you shoot the unique details on your pieces. This is where damage/wear & tear will actually be a help - no 2 pieces will have worn the same way. Although this may be a shocking suggestion, but if there's nothing at all that stands out on a piece, do something yourself - maybe a tiny pin prick or knife cut in a inconspicuous area.

AFA numbers are useless, anybody that steals them cracks them out of the cases. Happened to about 5 of mine. The only way any of them were recovered was because I had decent photos that showed price stickers, damage etc.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I've always thought if your graded stuff got stolen the first thing they would do is crack everything out anyway. When did you have stuff stolen Edd?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Back in 2007, took a little longer for mine to show up for sale, 5 years!

stormcab

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:

Were people arrested? or was it being sold by someone who had bought it off the thieves? is the post on the forum somewhere?

elcroz

Padawan
I'm guessing a friend of a friend or even a friend stole his collection? It will be interesting to find this point out. Ultimately someone with inside knowledge.
Terrible story that will end on a high note.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
edd_jedi said:

5 years. :shock: Have you discussed it on here before? What happened? Fair enough if you don't want to say any more about it. :)

Grant

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
stormcab said:

AFA numbers are useless, anybody that steals them cracks them out of the cases. Happened to about 5 of mine. The only way any of them were recovered was because I had decent photos that showed price stickers, damage etc.

I remember reading about your bad experience Edd not long after I started on the forums. F--king really sad that there's thieving SOB's out there like that.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes it was all over the various forums at the time. Here's the thread on here if you're interested:

http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10870

stormcab

Sith Lord
edd_jedi said:
Yes it was all over the various forums at the time. Here's the thread on here if you're interested:

http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10870

Nice one. I've only been on here several months so know there's a lot I've missed.

talldroid77

Padawan
Ye it's something I've worried about somtimes. It only takes one knobhead friend with shady connections. Also if you showcase a valuable collection it only needs a small buy off you and anyone can get your address from the sender info on the package. Fb even more info available if privacy settings aren't set well.

No point getting paranoid too much but worth considering...

Glad folk have managed to get at least some of their stuff back :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom