What’s your favourite ever year?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Robstyley said:
I'm right there with you mate. That was a pretty special time for me too. I turned 16 in 91' and 91/92 was my last year at school. You're right, so much great music came out at that time and I was right in the thick of it. I started going to pubs and clubs and played my first gig with my band - at the Roundacre in Basildon. I had a really good bunch of mates and I just remember everything being a right laugh. It was a time of discovery on many fronts. Getting high, going to parties, meeting new people, discovering girls and sex. We used to have fires and jams in the woods. I bought my first motorbike and used to ride it round my neighbourhood and the local fields(illegally). I went to Guns n Roses at Wembley stadium with my sister and best mate in Aug 91'. So many good memories from those days. And a lot of what I did also revolved around music. This is a pic of me in my Mums garden summer 92', about when I left school. Drinking cheap lager and smoking Marlboro :lol:

p.s Pearl Jams debut album is called Ten 8)

035B10FB-9CCB-4144-96B7-8ADAC2DF5CEF.jpeg

Quality photo Rob, you look like Billy from Stranger Things!! :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
Yes it's a VERY difficult question to answer, but also a very good and interesting one.

This was probably the most defining and exciting year for me, lots happened all at the same time that year. I left senior school, I was heavy into Playstation and N64 which I loved, I'd started at the gym with my dad which I really ****ing loved, used to think I was Arnold :lol: .. pay-g mobiles were suddenly a thing, it was a craze that I loved being part of, I always loved the idea of new technologies emerging, it felt futuristic and exciting to get my first mobile phone just like my mates have. This year we entered the world of the internet with our very first family shared PC, and for the bargain price of only £1000 there was only one PC in the house, not 3 or 3 like today. Star Wars Episode 1 hype!!!, need I say more. I started at some bullshit generic college for losers for some 'extra learning' and job opportunities. Was only there for 6 months, it felt kinda just like school but where you could do whatever the hell you wanted ( within reason ), WE got paid £40 a week to attend as an incentive, so I had my first actual beer and fag money for the first time ever, oh yeah it was also the year I started drinking ( properly ) and going to my local pubs. That whole college period was a fun time, I had a laugh there with some good new mates who I'd met, hanging around, talking cars & computers, listening to music, playing pool, it was great. This year I'd also both been with and split up with my first serious girlfriend, was madly in love for 6 months then she split up with me and I felt devastated which was the first time I'd ever experienced that, that 6 months was great. Then right near the end of this year I left the college course and started in my very first properly employed job at a supermarket part-time, £2.20 an hour now we're ****ing talking :lol: .. I felt somewhat independent for the first time in my life, making my own money and being able to actually buy things that I like. This year I also turned 16 just before the new year, which as we all know was also the millennium new years eve. This was the time where I knew the most people in my life, not only did I have all the friends from my own school but I also knew everyone from my best mate's school too from hanging around with him and his mates. On new years eve with us all being only young there was around 100+ of us all out on the streets drinking and celebrating and it was excellent, witnessing at midnight what was the most amount of ****ing fireworks I'd ever seen in my entire life lol.

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
1996 for me by a long way, 17 years old, amazing age

Euro 96 was incredible, went to a few matches and was in the stadium to see Gazza's worldie against the Scots.

The music was epic, Morning Glory came out, Pulp, Ocean Colour Scene, kulashaker, Paul Weller, Bluetones, Prodigy, Manics, Cast, Ash, Dodgy, REM, Radiohead, Garbage the list was endless for great albums that year. Trainspotting also came out, the soundtrack was perfect.

Also met my now wife, never had so much alfresco sex in my life.

Oh and Power of the Force was on the shelves, spanking all my spare cash on that.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Stuart Skinner said:
Too much info Stu :lol:
Quality year though. We were at uni at Nottingham Trent which was one of the host cities for Euro 96. The atmosphere around the city was electric. After the 4-1 Holland win we genuinely believed.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Stuart Skinner said:
1996 for me by a long way, 17 years old, amazing age

Euro 96 was incredible, went to a few matches and was in the stadium to see Gazza's worldie against the Scots.

The music was epic, Morning Glory came out, Pulp, Ocean Colour Scene, kulashaker, Paul Weller, Bluetones, Prodigy, Manics, Cast, Ash, Dodgy, REM, Radiohead, Garbage the list was endless for great albums that year. Trainspotting also came out, the soundtrack was perfect.

Oh and Power of the Force was on the shelves, spanking all my spare cash on that.
Here you go Stu. "I love 1996" on BBC2 at 10pm Thursday 2nd January 2020. :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom