What you reading?

Rebel_Runner

Jedi Master
I'm interested to know what you guys are all reading at the moment. I've just finished off a few cycling related books "Inside Team Sky", "Project Rainbow", and Mark Cavendish's Autobiography "At Speed". All were bloody awesome and I'd highly recommend them. Nearly at the end of the "4 hour work week" book so will need something to move onto...any recommendations? Fiction or Fact I read either, but I do like a good sports book.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Just finishing "The search for the Diceman" The first book (surprisingly called "The diceman") is better, but it's not a bad read.

You tried, 'I am legend' by Richard Matheson (the original not the bastardised film version) or 'Dune' by Frank Herbert. Both great reads. Or, of course, anything by Katie price! :wink:

Rebel_Runner

Jedi Master
weasel said:
Just finishing "The search for the Diceman" The first book (surprisingly called "The diceman") is better, but it's not a bad read.

You tried, 'I am legend' by Richard Matheson (the original not the bastardised film version) or 'Dune' by Frank Herbert. Both great reads. Or, of course, anything by Katie price! :wink:

I love that film. It's actually one of my favourite zombie/post apocalyptic films. I'll definitely give that book a go. Thanks.

PGowdy

Grand Master
I've not read much in the last 50 years. Struggled with my attention span and just dropped it as a habit.
But last year i decided to start reading again and read 3 books i the last half of the year:

The World According to Garp (John Irving)
Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card)
The Road (Cormac McCarthy)

This year i decided to set myself a target of 20 books altho 12 of them would be Roald Dahl children's books (several of them are very short and can be read in a day). I loved them as a kid so indulging in a bit of nostalgia.

I've got through half of them and am just starting the BFG (reading them in chronological order).

I've also read this year: The Client (John Grisham), Slaughterhouse 5 (Kurt Vonnegut) and The KIlling Floor (Lee Child).

So i have 6 Roald Dahl books to read, The Rainmaker (another Grisham) and The Perks of Being a Wall Flower ( :? )
And that'll be my 20.

jabbawokkie

Grand Master
The sun ..read it dailey........used to read alot of stuff on krays and soccer hooligans but not got time anymore .one of best I read was lenny mcleans govner auto biography

x-pack

Grand Master
A coffee table type book about the best 100 album covers ever.

The last actual 'book' I read was The Silent Twins. Recommended!

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Rebel_Runner said:
I love that film. It's actually one of my favourite zombie/post apocalyptic films. I'll definitely give that book a go. Thanks.

The book is SOOOOO much better than the film. It's totally different as well. Let me know what you think of it. As someone who read the book first and thought it was amazing, I was gutted when I saw how Hollywood had destroyed the entire thing in making the film.

Rebel_Runner

Jedi Master
weasel said:
Rebel_Runner said:

The book is SOOOOO much better than the film. It's totally different as well. Let me know what you think of it. As someone who read the book first and thought it was amazing, I was gutted when I saw how Hollywood had destroyed the entire thing in making the film.

Wow! Just google the author and noticed he wrote "The Omega man" too (my dad says this is much better than "I am legend"). Think i will have to buy them both. 8)

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Omega man was a film as well early 70 s with Charlton Heston.

I read every night, can't sleep unless I do, sadly though 70 % is EU...I am totally hooked on it, great writers, great books.
I'm going back reading the YVong series, but currently on Agents of Chaos.

Like to read autobiographies, old one but a great read was Michael Caines ...great read.
Surprisingly Bear Grylls, I read his book on the Everest ascent he did (not the paragliding one, the one where he climbed ) found it superb, and enthral king, superb writing...well worth a read.

Totally get the reading RD books Pete, the guy was a genius writer, loved Matilda, Fantastic Mr Fox as well
I read The Hobbit at least once a year...got to be the best book ever for me.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Just finished The Road, grim as hell, loved it. Love anything post-apoc, anything Tolkien, most Sci-Fi stuff. Got Dune to read next, think I read it about 20 years ago, also downloaded the first 2 Terry Brooks books (Imaginary People and something demonic :lol: )so will do them soon.

I love reading but getting old it sends me to sleep.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
I've also read and watched The Omega Man, the original film is awesome, camp undead wtf?! :lol:

I love those old Sci-Fi films like Saturn 3, Westworld etc. Classic viewing.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Talking of autobiographies, I am reading an "autobiography of a yogi." Before this I was reading the ethics of Aristotle. (No jokes please) :wink:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Caswellbot said:
Talking of autobiographies, I am reading an "autobiography of a yogi." Before this I was reading the ethics of Aristotle. (No jokes please) :wink:

Wasnt the word ethics spawned by Aristotle? I know that the theory of ethics was discussed and pondered by Socrates and Plato.

Nothing wrong with a little philosophic discussion, good on you :wink:

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
I'm not sure if it originated with Aristotle but it may well have done. I have also read Plato the republic and the symposium. Very much into my philosophy.

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Is the just man happier than the unjust man, immorality of the soul, etc and justice in society, I too like philosophy, but I don't get to embroiled, as it can make my head hurt :lol: but it is intriguing and interesting to look at the "why's" in life.
I found the discussions on poetry in society extremely interesting, as I love poetry, to me it is a form of philosophy, as it takes things we take for granted and endorses with emotion, and the key intangible components to express from a different perspective.

Right, I'm sounding pretentious and a tosser now so lets get back on track :lol:

x-pack

Grand Master
Caswellbot said:
I'm not sure if it originated with Aristotle but it may well have done. I have also read Plato the republic and the symposium. Very much into my philosophy.

Guys guys! This reminds me of the current Fosters lager ad. The one with the 'paddle of rebuke'
:lol:

Wish I had a picture of it to post. Cracks me up. The simple things...

Richard_H

Grand Master
I've just finished A Canticle for Leibowitz which is a post-apocalyptic Sci Fi novel set in a Catholic monastery.

It was forced on me by a local nutcase who has the most obscure books but I have to admit it was pretty good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom