Why is carbon dioxide a danger when it’s only 0.04% of the atmosphere?

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
I don't want to start a debate about climate change here but I'd like to hear from people who know about such things, why our planet is in danger from rising levels carbon dioxide when it comprises only 0.04% of the atmosphere. The fact that it is not 4%, not 0.4% but 0.04% seems to an uneducated person to me to be shocking, considering how the media is constantly reporting on our carbon dioxide choking doom. BBC news is linking high temperatures in Europe to global warming and warning that thousands may perish in the years to come. This is sounding like an emergency.

During my travels on YouTube I stumbled across an esteemed expert on the Earth's climate putting on a presentation before an American Congressional panel. The expert put on a convincing debunking of man made climate change, with the linchpin of his argument being that there is hardly any carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. According to him, carbon dioxide at the current 0.04% could even be doubled without making a shred of difference.

As I said, I don't want to debate the whole issue of climate change but would like to hear some ideas on why we should all be worried about such an extremely small amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. I have an open mind on the subject!

yoda

Sith Lord
That is an interesting topic alright I'd say you will get alot of different opinions on this.
My own view is and everyone's will be different there's alot of shite spoonfed to us by the media it's really hard to know if there is a danger of levels rising. I always feel that there's a bigger picture behind all scaremongering that governments pump out through the media. It's almost like a control factor they use through fear to keep the population focused on bullshit half the time so they don't really focus on what our governments really do and who's making millions running them.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Simply Sci-fi said:
During my travels on YouTube I stumbled across an esteemed expert on the Earth's climate putting on a presentation before an American Congressional panel. The expert put on a convincing debunking of man made climate change, with the linchpin of his argument being that there is hardly any carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. According to him, carbon dioxide at the current 0.04% could even be doubled without making a shred of difference.

Given that disturbingly large chinks of the US Congress believe global warming is a myth, and also believe the earth is 5 thousand years old, I wouldn't put too much faith in a video of someone presenting to them. I'm sure homepaths can make remotely plausible videos backing up their claims, but when you dig a little deeper you realise that it's utter BS.

If you look at the records for hottest years on earth, additedly these only go back a couple of hundred years, they have all come in the last decade or so. Now this could just be a coincidence, and certainly the temperature on Earth is partially dictated by solar flair activity and the like, but I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that there may be something else affecting it. The most likely other factor, is us. Although if you're a Republican Senator in the States that's all rubbish and God did it, at the same time as encouraging all of us to own guns so we can be protected........from all the whack jobs out there with ehhh guns.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Putting aside whether you think human driven climate change is a myth or not, it's still ridiculous how much **** we pump into the air which we breath.

Just say you have the choice of spending 2 hours in one of 2 rooms. Room 'a' has an electric car with the engine running for the entire 2 hours and you can't turn the engine of. Room 'b' has a diesel car with the engine running for the entire 2 hours and you can't turn the engine of. I would choose room 'a' because I would be dead after 2 hours in room 'b'!

The thing is we live in room 'b' it's just a much bigger room.

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
weasel said:
Simply Sci-fi said:

Given that disturbingly large chinks of the US Congress believe global warming is a myth, and also believe the earth is 5 thousand years old, I wouldn't put too much faith in a video of someone presenting to them. I'm sure homepaths can make remotely plausible videos backing up their claims, but when you dig a little deeper you realise that it's utter BS.

If you look at the records for hottest years on earth, additedly these only go back a couple of hundred years, they have all come in the last decade or so. Now this could just be a coincidence, and certainly the temperature on Earth is partially dictated by solar flair activity and the like, but I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that there may be something else affecting it. The most likely other factor, is us. Although if you're a Republican Senator in the States that's all rubbish and God did it, at the same time as encouraging all of us to own guns so we can be protected........from all the whack jobs out there with ehhh guns.

The congressional hearings go on all the time and there seems to be a few Congressmen who have a few brain cells and do their best to grill the experts, whether they are on the side of climate change or are deniers.

There seem to be lots of things put forward, like the activity of the sun and the fact that we are coming out of "The Little Ice Age." I know the river Thames used to freeze over every year, not so long ago and people used to go skating on it!

It may be humankind that's to blame, or it could be just a scam so that the general public has to pay for carbon reduction - reduction from 0.04%. I just don't know.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
CO2 is a greenhouse gas, same as methane and several others. CO2 is emitted when carbon based fuel (oil, coal, gas) is burnt and the carbon that happily lived inside the earth for millions of years has been released at an unprecedented rate since the industrial revolution. 0.04% might seem small but it's been finely balanced for millenia. Start messing about with the balance and the consequences could be dire.

Look at it this way, *most* of the scientific community believe man made climate change to be correct. If there is even a slightest chance the worst case scenario could happen, is it worth the risk of not taking it seriously?

Ps don't believe anything you read or hear that originates from the American government.

yoda

Sith Lord
Simply Sci-fi said:
It may be humankind that's to blame, or it could be just a scam so that the general public has to pay for carbon reduction - reduction from 0.04%. I just don't know.

I have read a few of your threads about other events and subjects you have questioned before. I really enjoyed reading them and also reading what are other people's views on the topics.
Yes what we are are taught from a young age you don't question it because it must be true if we are told this by are teachers. But they have exactly went true the same process in there life so it has to be true what we are taught because they say so.
I admire you for questioning these events.
It's been said earlier it's hard to know if this is a natural turn of the wheel of the earth's existence which is correct. There isn't enough records to make an accurate judgement. It could be just part of the process and we are doing no harm to the atmosphere at all.
But IF it is a result of man that the climate is changing then I think things will go very bad further down the line regarding rising temperatures if it's our fault.
Here we are told if you burn as much as a tyre you are harming the atmosphere. I don't smoke so I could imagine breathing in tyre smoke or car fumes couldn't possibly be good for our health. But I do wonder is it doing as much damage to the atmosphere that we are lead to believe. There's no doubt it must be doing some kind of harm but I wonder is there more serious things creating the problems and we are not told this because it's bad news.
I honestly think it really is to complex to fully understand and when it is understood it's to mind numbing for the brain what really is happening if it's a man-made problem. If you try to understand it people probably think your some kind of crackpot or conspiracy theorist.
Not that long ago I remember reading about the "m.o.a.b" being dropped on some remote mountain somewhere in Afghanistan. I think it was claimed at the time it obliterated half a mountain away. I'd say anything living within 2 square miles was in for a very bad day. And if any goat herder did survive the huge vacuum of the blast and his eardrums didn't explode I'd say he has a very sore head still. I have no Idea where it was dropped but I'd be pretty sure it never hit anywhere near the opium fields in Afghanistan.
Even as early back as 2003 depleted uranium shells wer being used in the Iraq invasion. The military was advised not to use them at the time but it was done against WW2 tanks and civilian buildings. Then the very same Marine was sent into the bombed site to clear the area and to this day is suffering the after affects of the uranium. How many oil wells were set alight? And how many are still being set alight and how many are still burning from the invasion? These are questions impossible to answer because the military have now realized they are in a very serious situation in the Middle East. The point I am trying to make is what kind of chemicals, smoke, dust, and anything else that comes from those blasts. Do we really understand what effect it is having on the earth's atmosphere. War is a savage beast when it arrives. And the sad thing is it's getting stronger and it's not going to stop because to much money is involved and will be lost if it ever comes to a cease. It's just like a massive machine which is creating alot of jobs and vast amounts money. I now am reading Kim Jong-un's in the cross hairs. I am not exactly sure what's he's done but I do know there's a fortress starting to surround him and China in the Pacific and south China sea. I know like Afghanistan that North Korea has vast amounts of opium also but I doubt that's anything to do with it. I am being told by the media he's just another crackpot like the rest that needs took out. That's really why I think American aren't in any rush to address climate change because I think if it's really probed into then war could possibly be accelerating the problem.
You asked the question and this is only my opinion. I could be totally away with the fairies on my view. Others will have different views. What I do hope is that the problem isn't man made because if it is I believe unfortunately it's going to get alot worse.

You said you were watching YouTube videos on different views. Not sure if you've watched this but it is a very interesting watch. Yes holes can be picked in it regarding some claims. There are parts for me that is just to much to believe. But when you strip it all down there are some disturbing facts that cannot be disputed. And they would shock alot of the general public. When you see people that are in powerful positions and in governments and how they work and how things are controlled to feed man's greatest weakness Greed!

https://youtu.be/U1Qt6a-vaNM

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Dannywhiteley said:
CO2 is a greenhouse gas, same as methane and several others. CO2 is emitted when carbon based fuel (oil, coal, gas) is burnt and the carbon that happily lived inside the earth for millions of years has been released at an unprecedented rate since the industrial revolution. 0.04% might seem small but it's been finely balanced for millenia. Start messing about with the balance and the consequences could be dire.

Look at it this way, *most* of the scientific community believe man made climate change to be correct. If there is even a slightest chance the worst case scenario could happen, is it worth the risk of not taking it seriously?

Ps don't believe anything you read or hear that originates from the American government.

Thanks for sharing. The CO2 might be that finely balanced, I don't know. I'm just looking to see what people's ideas are.

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
yoda said:
Simply Sci-fi said:

I have read a few of your threads about other events and subjects you have questioned before. I really enjoyed reading them and also reading what are other people's views on the topics.
Yes what we are are taught from a young age you don't question it because it must be true if we are told this by are teachers. But they have exactly went true the same process in there life so it has to be true what we are taught because they say so.
It's been said earlier it's hard to know if this is a natural turn of the wheel of the earth's existence which is correct. There isn't enough records to make an accurate judgement. It could be just part of the process and we are doing no harm to the atmosphere at all.
But IF it is a result of man that the climate is changing then I think things will go very bad further down the line regarding rising temperatures if it's our fault.
Here we are told if you burn as much as a tyre you are harming the atmosphere. I don't smoke so I could imagine breathing in tyre smoke or car fumes couldn't possibly be good for our health. But I do wonder is it doing as much damage to the atmosphere that we are lead to believe. There's no doubt it must be doing some kind of harm but I wonder is there more serious things creating the problems and we are not told this because it's bad news.
I honestly think it really is to complex to fully understand and when it is understood it's to mind numbing for the brain what really is happening if it's a man-made problem. If you try to understand it people probably think your some kind of crackpot or conspiracy theorist.
Not that long ago I remember reading about the "m.o.a.b" being dropped on some remote mountain somewhere in Afghanistan. I think it was claimed at the time it obliterated half a mountain away. I'd say anything living within 2 square miles was in for a very bad day. And if any goat herder did survive the huge vacuum of the blast and his eardrums didn't explode I'd say he has a very sore head still. I have no Idea where it was dropped but I'd be pretty sure it never hit anywhere near the opium fields in Afghanistan.
Even as early back as 2003 depleted uranium shells wer being used in the Iraq invasion. The military was advised not to use them at the time but it was done against WW2 tanks and civilian buildings. Then the very same Marine was sent into the bombed site to clear the area and to this day is suffering the after affects of the uranium. How many oil wells were set alight? And how many are still being set alight and how many are still burning from the invasion? These are questions impossible to answer because the military have now realized they are in a very serious situation in the Middle East. The point I am trying to make is what kind of chemicals, smoke, dust, and anything else that comes from those blasts. Do we really understand what effect it is having on the earth's atmosphere. War is a savage beast when it arrives. And the sad thing is it's getting stronger and it's not going to stop because to much money is involved and will be lost if it ever comes to a cease. It's just like a massive machine which is creating alot of jobs and vast amounts money. I now am reading Kim Jong-un's in the cross hairs. I am not exactly sure what's he's done but I do know there's a fortress starting to surround him and China in the Pacific and south China sea. I know like Afghanistan that North Korea has vast amounts of opium also but I doubt that's anything to do with it. I am being told by the media he's just another crackpot like the rest that needs took out. That's really why I think American aren't in any rush to address climate change because I think if it's really probed into then war could possibly be accelerating the problem.
You asked the question and this is only my opinion. I could be totally away with the fairies on my view. Others will have different views. What I do hope is that the problem isn't man made because if it is I believe unfortunately it's going to get alot worse.

You said you were watching YouTube videos on different views. Not sure if you've watched this but it is a very interesting watch. Yes holes can be picked in it regarding some claims. There are parts for me that is just to much to believe. But when you strip it all down there are some disturbing facts that cannot be disputed. And they would shock alot of the general public. When you see people that are in powerful positions and in governments and how they work and how things are controlled to feed man's greatest weakness Greed!

I have watched that film in the link, "Everything is a Rich Man's Trick" and it is incredibly powerful. I would recommend it to anyone who has a conspiracy theory point of view but if you want to go about your life, without worrying about things you have no control over, avoid it at all costs! The basic point of the film could be better explained without crazy sounding theories about Kennedy and 9/11. The explanation is very good, of how many the "Robber Barons" had their beginnings at the turn of the Century in North America. It could be argued that the rich are doing everything they can to rip off the public, from pharmaceuticals to aircraft carriers.

I have the sinking feeling that climate change is nothing more than a mock threat, that we the public are asked to pay a lot of money to defend against - just take a look at our government's latest announcement. The BBC reporting of our impending doom was well timed! The real threats out there - North Korea, Iran, etc are becoming thin on the ground as diplomacy becomes ever more successful. Their "threat" cannot be maintained for ever, even with contsant footage of North Korea's cardboard rockets. The Middle East may well calm down when local populations realise that peace might just be an answer, despite what their puppet masters in rich countries are telling them. The threat of climate change will still be there though, real or fake and it may be where the elites really see their future profits rolling in. Maybe I'm too cynical.

yoda

Sith Lord
Simply Sci-fi said:
yoda said:
Simply Sci-fi said:

I have watched that film in the link, "Everything is a Rich Man's Trick" and it is incredibly powerful. I would recommend it to anyone who has a conspiracy theory point of view but if you want to go about your life, without worrying about things you have no control over, avoid it at all costs! The basic point of the film could be better explained without crazy sounding theories about Kennedy and 9/11. The explanation is very good, of how many the "Robber Barons" had their beginnings at the turn of the Century in North America. It could be argued that the rich are doing everything they can to rip off the public, from pharmaceuticals to aircraft carriers.

I have the sinking feeling that climate change is nothing more than a mock threat, that we the public are asked to pay a lot of money to defend against - just take a look at our government's latest announcement. The BBC reporting of our impending doom was well timed! The real threats out there - North Korea, Iran, etc are becoming thin on the ground as diplomacy becomes ever more successful. Their "threat" cannot be maintained for ever, even with contsant footage of North Korea's cardboard rockets. The Middle East may well calm down when local populations realise that peace might just be an answer, despite what their puppet masters in rich countries are telling them. The threat of climate change will still be there though, real or fake and it may be where the elites really see their future profits rolling in. Maybe I'm too cynical.

Yeah that video is pretty full-on. Someone posted it up on Facebook one nite and I was halfway through a dozen Guinness on my own when I started watching it. That whole pink triangle, the bowling balls and guys climbing in and out of coffins is pretty ****ed up.
I agree that Kennedy and 9/11 does have alot of holes in the reasoning how and who done it. I am just not that naive to believe everything on that video is the gospel truth. But at the same time I have done a little digging since watching it and have found some of the claims that are made are not that overly far off the mark. And you are correct even if anything on that is true the public couldn't have no influence on it anyway to change anything.

Section 8

Sith Lord
CO2 is not necessarily the problem, but CO2 is the trigger. A small rise in temperature from the small but rising amount of CO2 can contribute to many other earth warming causes.

Warmer temperature will melt the north and south polar regions making the earth less reflective.
Warmer temperature will also release trapped methane in the sea bed which in turn is another green house gas.
Warmer temperature will create an increase in the amount of water vapour which also traps heat.

Basically we are trying to avoid a small increase in global temperature caused by CO2 to avoid a snowball (Maybe the wrong word to use) effect in creating other irreversible causes of global warming.

Almost the entire scientific community are saying that emission and such are contributing factor to global warming. These are people that test, experiment and simulate the data, who publish results which are checked and tested by others.

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
Section 8 said:
CO2 is not necessarily the problem, but CO2 is the trigger. A small rise in temperature from the small but rising amount of CO2 can contribute to many other earth warming causes.

Warmer temperature will melt the north and south polar regions making the earth less reflective.
Warmer temperature will also release trapped methane in the sea bed which in turn is another green house gas.
Warmer temperature will create an increase in the amount of water vapour which also traps heat.

Basically we are trying to avoid a small increase in global temperature caused by CO2 to avoid a snowball (Maybe the wrong word to use) effect in creating other irreversible causes of global warming.

Almost the entire scientific community are saying that emission and such are contributing factor to global warming. These are people that test, experiment and simulate the data, who publish results which are checked and tested by others.

Thanks. That's genuinely interesting. I've not heard it put that way before.

Would you know what the level of C02 in the atmosphere was when records began? Or perhaps from ice samples? I had a small look on Google but couldn't find anything.

Section 8

Sith Lord
No idea when modern records began but there are some records or info on CO2 in ice samples somewhere on the net. If I remember right CO2 has not naturally been this high for around a million years or however far back ice records go.

Edit: Found this.

Over the last 800,000 years atmospheric CO2 levels as indicated by the ice-core data have fluctuated between 170 and 300 parts per million by volume (ppmv), corresponding with conditions of glacial and interglacial periods. The Vostok core indicates very similar trends. Prior to about 450,000 years before present time (BP) atmospheric CO2 levels were always at or below 260 ppmv and reached lowest values, approaching 170 ppmv, between 660,000 and 670,000 years ago. The highest pre-industrial value recorded in 800,000 years of ice-core record was 298.6 ppmv, in the Vostok core, around 330,000 years ago. Atmospheric CO2 levels have increased markedly in industrial times; measurements in year 2010 at Cape Grim Tasmania and the South Pole both indicated values of 386 ppmv, and are currently increasing at about 2 ppmv/year.

Source

http://cdiac.ornl.gov/trends/co2/ice_core_co2.html

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom