Is mint always best?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.

Is mint ALWAYS best?

always
55%
not always(in some cases)
45%

Total votes: 11

wampa
Regular
Regular

Is mint always best?

Post by wampa »

Hello everyone,
i am enjoying my usual sunday evening, glass of wine & antiques roadshow, and the guys on the tv are talking about leaving antiques in there antique state and how a bit of wear and tear adds a certain authentic feel etc, i was thinking does this apply to certain SW figures too? I have a red cape bib fortuna which is a bit battered and "pre-loved" but i love it and its my favourite figure of all, i know its original and not a modern fake as you cant fake the wear and shape it has taken over the years, does anyone else have a worn favourite like this or have i had one glass too many and i am talking much shit?
please add comments/vote or ignore if i am waffling
ta
craignwo4life
In Memory Of...
In Memory Of...

Post by craignwo4life »

I think you've had a few too many mate!! :lol:

If you're talking about figures then I always prefer to get the best I can and upgrade later if needed. :wink:
jabbawokkie
Grand Master
Grand Master

Post by jabbawokkie »

yeah mint as possible for me
if your putting them on display you dont want a yellow stormtrooper stuck in there
"What do you mean theres no IOP "......"its been destroyed by the Jabbawokkie"
Dom
Forum Hutt
Forum Hutt

Post by Dom »

If its stuff for my collection, then mint isn`t good enough.

If its stuff I had when I was a kid, then thats a different matter, but to be honest I was always really careful with my stuff
My collecting is out of control, please pray for me to win the lottery!
cocofstar
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by cocofstar »

Its nice to have as many mint figures as possible but I would rather have a battered figure than no figure at all. :wink:
Gotta love those variations :wink:

roundster
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by roundster »

Totally agree with Dom, that the figures I had as a kid are special! I love the one's that I trashed, but if I'm buying it has to be as mint as budget allows!! :wink:
wampa
Regular
Regular

Post by wampa »

my bib has not been mine as a kid-the wear and tear comes from i am not sure who or where, i only got him recently but i do love him a lot-he looks so cool-i take the point though-would he just as good in mint?, certainly harder to find
-i have had a few bootlegs with wear too and they look good with wear, the paint is never as good on them anyway but i like these kind of figures a bit battered
-but yes a yellowed stormie on display is not quite right! :shock:
Fitzy
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Post by Fitzy »

I prefer the best condition I can lay my hands on. They may be not so mint sometimes but I always aim for the best I can afford etc.

With you guys on the stuff from childhood though. Still got a bin bag cape Darth and a Hoth Rebel Commander that has had an unfortunate incident with a leaking battery.
jayjedi
SWFUK Supporter
SWFUK Supporter

Post by jayjedi »

the mintier the better
as george intended them to be :lol: