Buying in the 80's how we used to buy figures

UKS

Jedi Knight
I'm upping this thread, as my older brothers just reminded me of an entire shop I got lots of stuff from that I had completely forgot.

Martin's in Broadwalk shopping centre in Bristol!

(This is the modern updated version. It was a brutalist nightmare back in the late seventies/early eighties)

Broadwalk-Shopping-Centre-Knowle-Bristol.jpg

I really miss this small provincial toy shops. I travel a lot for work, and I am always on the lookout for dingy old toy emporiums... And the racks and racks of old toys that have sat on their shelf for decades.

Mind you, I once bought loads of early eighties Action Force off the shelves of The Entertainer in 1999! No idea how they got it.

Alisdairmac

Jedi Knight
Supporter
scooternick said:
I remember quite a few purchases. Power droid from Malborough totally toys, lando from a shop in st Ives while on holiday, walrus man from zodiac in Swindon, Ben and fx from Trents in Swindon, Luke Endor and EV9D9 from a dept store in Lincoln. Remember others but these one's are all very vivid to me. I remember the Luke Endor and EV9D9 purchases as I clearly remember being dumbfounded by all the last 17 figures on the shelf having never seen them before. I remember clearly seeing Luke Stormie and thinking wtf? Why I chose Luke Endor over Luke Stormie I'll never know.....!

Like this one?

Attachments

• IMG_20190623_215854.jpg
    IMG_20190623_215854.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 892

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
After watching Star Wars for the first time (October 1982, first UK TV showing) I usually nagged my Mum all round Tesco every week to buy me figures :D

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I got a lot of my figures from a place called Blewetts in Hayle, Cornwall. The shop is still open and run by the same family as when it opened 39 years ago. I still pop in their every now and then when I visit friends and family. I'm tempted to ask if they have any old photoes.

http://www.hayletoyshop.co.uk/

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
theforceuk said:
I got a lot of my figures from a place called Blewetts in Hayle, Cornwall. The shop is still open and run by the same family as when it opened 39 years ago. I still pop in their every now and then when I visit friends and family. I'm tempted to ask if they have any old photoes.

Why not, nothing to loose...and while your at it ask if they've any old Star Wars stock out the back... :roll: :wink:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
theforceuk said:

Why not, nothing to loose...and while your at it ask if they've any old Star Wars stock out the back... :roll: :wink:

Thats it I'm doing it next time I'm down. :lol:

scooternick

Jedi Knight
Ha ha. Sweet pic.
Alisdairmac said:
scooternick said:
I remember quite a few purchases. Power droid from Malborough totally toys, lando from a shop in st Ives while on holiday, walrus man from zodiac in Swindon, Ben and fx from Trents in Swindon, Luke Endor and EV9D9 from a dept store in Lincoln. Remember others but these one's are all very vivid to me. I remember the Luke Endor and EV9D9 purchases as I clearly remember being dumbfounded by all the last 17 figures on the shelf having never seen them before. I remember clearly seeing Luke Stormie and thinking wtf? Why I chose Luke Endor over Luke Stormie I'll never know.....!

Like this one?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I very much doubt they have anything vintage out the back, I remember going in their and the Star Wars rack was empty. I asked when they were getting more Star Wars figures in and they said that's it Kenner have stopped producing them. Sad day. :( :lol:

lee gray

Sith Lord
I have a few recollections
The most vivid was when the figures were reduced to 50p and there was a shop in fulham called patricks and they had about ten dengars in the window but i was too embarrassed to go in a shop just to spend 50p (i was at that age) I got my nan to go into get me it, she came out with the female asst and asked me what one it was.

Also in about 1993 i went to an action man fair in cheshunt and saw a guy selling several han hoth carded figures for £15 each and laughed at the time how much he wanted.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom